New Moderator Confirmation Votes: superuberbob, MrWookie, catfacemeowmers, Riverman, and SenorKeeed

were. It’s a hypothetical, so it’s were. lol.

Don’t ask why - these rules make zero sense. I just know what they are.

2 Likes

I would have gone with what zara originally posted - “I wish there was more English grammar nerding around.”

“I wish there were more English grammar nerding around” - doesn’t sound right - nor does “I wish there is more English grammar nerding around”

2 Likes

“And, above all, avoid barbarism” - Orwell.

Of course, yours sounds more natural. I made that post mostly to show how stupid the rules are. But, if you go by the letter of the law, mine is right.

north
:)

1 Like

zara’s sentence is an example of the subjunctive mood, which is present in English and many other related languages. In practice, many speakers don’t use the subjunctive mood anymore, so it could eventually become extinct (like thou).

3 Likes

I use it differently depending on what the subject is. I would say…

I wish there were more street parties.

but also

I wish there was more dancing at street parties.

1 Like

The like was for “extinct like thou”. Not sure if I’m the only one who picked up on that or what, but I thought it was hilarious.

2 Likes

I’ve seen ads for grammarly a million times but never used it.

I too old to change now though and also language usage changes innit :smiley:

2 Likes

I think me still having over 50% of the vote as of now is sort of why Donald Trump became president.

And we’re all supposed to be the smart ones

3 Likes

I just voted yes because I assumed that you were willing to do it.

If you’re not, then I’ll switch to no.

So, just to be clear, you don’t want to do it?

Oh I’ll do it. But I’m going to be incredibly shitty at it and act very unfairly intentionally.

People complained about wookie incessantly. But I’ll be worse.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Your people are taking you seriously, not literally.

You could post in the middle of French BBV and publicize a PM and you wouldn’t lose voters.

7 Likes

One of the stated benefits of rotating mods was giving an opportunity to different styles of moderation to see what works and what doesn’t. It’s also an issue that the current vibe of mod responsibility both from posters and mods is too serious. Therefore I support the chaotic nature of your campaign.

2 Likes

In the event that I make a remarkable comeback and get 2/3 of the vote, you will not be part of the first wave of permanent bans.

gosh, stop campaigning!

keeds posting in the greenwald thread wasn’t trolling?

are you still subscribed to his substack?

I voted for you because you didn’t want me to.

That he doesn’t want the job is exactly what makes him the right person for the job!

2 Likes

I’ve always maintained that wanting to be a mod should be a disqualifying trait for getting the job.