New Moderator Confirmation Votes: superuberbob, MrWookie, catfacemeowmers, Riverman, and SenorKeeed

Sure, but that’s still a suboptimal solution. Just asking takes like a minute and is far superior.

1 Like

Whoa. Let’s not get carried away. I don’t care that much.

3 Likes

Intent matters. Trolling in my opinion is when you do it to try to actually do some emotional damage to your target because you’re an asshole and get off on it. There is only one poster on this forum whom I think fits that bill. Arguing because you like to argue doesn’t make you a troll. Or maybe there’s a diifference between “being a troll” and “trolling.” We’re all guilty of trolling sometimes. Keeed may sometimes troll, but he is not a troll.

Holy shit dude, who is posting on the jman account now? This is not the jman I have grown to love. He seems so much more chill!

I mean, you took a shot at jal, but it’s a little less aggressive than starting a whole new canine account just to make a list of posters whom you don’t like.

By the way, in the context in which you used that word, it’s “who”, not “whom” (The accusative declension comes into play here but this is beyond the scope of the current post.). What you did is called “hypercorrection” - when you so, so, don’t want to be wrong, that you use a pretentious-sounding word, which makes you sound like a total dickhead when you get it wrong.

1 Like

You use “whom” when the pronoun is passive. You use “who” when the pronoun is active.

Also, while I am at it, when you need to choose between “I” and “me”, just remove the intervening words. “Bobby and me went to the cinema” becomes a lot easier to figure out once you remove “Bobby and”. Obviously, that is a toy example.

Whatever, nerd.

1 Like

It’s hard to define an appropriate doom
For people who say “who” when they should be saying “whom”

Harder still to decide what to do
With people who say “whom” when they should be saying “who”

3 Likes

Amazing.

Vinovatel’nuy padeszh, blya. A kak my ih ostal’nyh nauchem?

no such thing, you meant винительный?

English grammar is world-renowned for its simplicity.

I might have drinking for a while, and also, last time I was in Moscow (or anywhere in Russia), I was 13, You are, of course, right.

No v trinadtcat;’ let po diktantam buly petyarky, i nam davaly chetverki esli odnu zapyatu ne pravil’no postavil.

1 Like

Its “word-renowned” obviously. The context here should make that clear.

2 Likes

The pronunciations get a bit, cough cough tough, tho.

1 Like

For anyone who is wondering what this is, because it’s not something you can google - not very easily, anyway - transliteration is immune to force translate -

I was talking about “dictations”. It’s not really a thing in the UK or the US, but it’s where, as a schoolkid, you sit there, and the teacher reads a passage out of a book or w/e, and you write it. You have to get all the punctuation right. What I was saying above, is that the school I was in (it was a “grammar” school to be fair), you got marked down if you got one comma out of place.

Also, I used to be good at “razbor”. That is when you take a word or sentence, and disassemble it into its constituent parts.

I remember there were about 5 of them, but the only 2 I still remember are:

Morpholigeskiy - when you take a word and find its root, and then any prefixes, suffixes and postfixes.

Another one whose name I don’t remember - when you take a sentence and identify the subject, object, etc.

The other 3 were all related to the second one above, because Russian has more than just verbs and nouns and adjectives. We have “prichastiya” and “deeprichastiya” and shit. I won’t even try and explain what those are.

1 Like

Lol, I’m not bad posting dog and the reason you know I’m not bad posting dog is that I like @NotBruceZ’s posting. Thanks for the grammar tip.

I think the “there…” construction in jman’s sentence is grammatically more interesting than the case of the pronoun.

2 Likes

*is more