NBZ's WSOP 2021 Vegas Trip 10/9-19

Airport vending machines

1 Like

Havenā€™t played any mixed wsop events, but seems those fields are obviously well tougher than your average nl event

Is this one still there? Thought it was the weirdest combo of vending machine and location Iā€™ve ever seen.

1 Like

Thereā€™s something about running super bad in Vegas that makes it way more painful than a big downswing in your normal game. I feel ya

1 Like

I donā€™t really feel pain. I feel super motivated to study.

Alrighty then. Any game you gonna focus on?

Iā€™m going to do some thinking about split pot games, with a concentration on O8. My next poker trip might be to try to hit a tournament series at one of the Hard Rocks in lolFlorida since they often have a 400 O8 and HORSE aligned for an easy trip.

Nice, Florida games are always a good call

Iā€™m happy to have met people from the forum and hope I didnā€™t come off too awkwardly. Iā€™m an extreme introvert, but it helped that the conversation tended towards three subjects I am passionate about: poker, food, and politics.

Nah you sounded fine. At least you reached out to some people on the forum! And you take losing in stride apparently. Better than what I can say for myself :grimacing:

I have zero sense of entitlement when I play poker. In theory, thatā€™s good, but I wonder if that sort of emotional investment is what drives someone like Phil Hellmuth to be better than one would think based on their technical skill.

I mean Iā€™m sure Phil has that ā€˜you have to think youā€™re the best to be the bestā€™ psychology stuff going on. But I think thereā€™s definitely a lot more that goes into live poker than pure technical ability.

Iā€™m definitely missing something. I never really learned how to pound people with bet-bet-bet lines during the poker boom and I default to passive action when I donā€™t know what to do or I think the options are close.

Tournaments probably arenā€™t best for me. I donā€™t pursue high variance strategies to build a stack and I donā€™t use a big stack as weapon if I do get one. If I do play tournaments, I am better suited to fixed-limit games.

PLO cash suits me much better than NL because raising preflop is often just increasing variance without changing EV that much, since hand values often run together. It gets a bit different when more pots are contested heads-up, but that rarely happens at the stakes I play. I might not be maximizing my EV, but I can be annoying to a smart LAG who hates having to be more careful when I enter a pot.

Oh, if anyone ever wants to play Greg Raymer HU4ROLLZ, his game of choice will be pot-limit archie.

Yea, that doesnā€™t sound ideal for tourney play! But even in NL cash, you can generate some huge pots just by selective aggression and bullying people in small pots, reraising light, sometimes floating with garbage to take it down later and showing, or whatever to give the appearance youā€™re pushing them around and you think theyā€™re weak. Certain players will eventually respond by doing terrible ridiculous bluffs to get you back. Itā€™s so +EV.

And there is nothing more satisfying than goading someone into donking off their whole stack into you.

Iā€™m not sure how well that correlates into PLO though!

In NL cash, it feels like my best skills revolve around squeezing people and finding bluffs in multiway pots. I donā€™t really bully people, but I find spots to float because I can scare people by representing slowplays.

My reg opponents at home donā€™t donk off stacks to me. Iā€™m a tricky player who seems to often have a good sense of where I am at in a hand, so I can exploit that they never seem completely comfortable without the nuts against me. Any non-nut flush in NL is an easy bet-fold against several players because they are afraid to raise me without the nuts but also afraid to bluff me because Iā€™ve caught them so many times over the years.

I guess I just donā€™t have any desire for big pots. Iā€™m not afraid of them when I like the math, but I donā€™t seek them out. I am fine grinding out small to medium pots without ever getting it all in. I donā€™t crave action. I donā€™t force action. I donā€™t need the ego boost of winning a leveling war. If anything, I exploit the players who are seeking that by frustrating them and making the game smaller than they want so that the big pots come on my terms.

I just play poker and I just want to play it as well as I am capable of. Iā€™m kind of a machine at the table, albeit one who will engage in conversation instead of staring at my phone.

Thatā€™s fine and all, but avoiding big pots and referring to leveling wars and getting it all in as some masturbatory ego driven gesture, when in fact stuff like that is calculated and super +EV is very shortsighted on your part imo

I donā€™t avoid big pots. I just donā€™t seek them out. The big pots that I do build tend to be multi-way and not heads-up.

Fair enough, I was just pointing out that more aggressive play doesnā€™t mean ego driven play

Well, Iā€™m going to Vegas for my birthday month trip in a week.

What am I most likely to bring back?
  • A tournament win
  • An STD
  • Omicron
  • All three

0 voters