National Basketball Association - 2023/24 Season

God damn it

Darvin Ham back with the Bucks as the top assistant. Nice good vibes move - the players really respected him.

Insane. Celtics defense has been unbelievable for 2 games. Tatum guarding their center has shut down the lobs, while somehow also not allowing corner 3s.

1 Like

The Lakers job is a suckers play. Smart.

Thanks for the prompt to run the corner three totals. I remember hearing people say Boston held Dallas to 3 in Game 1, which obviously is good but I didnā€™t have any context for it. 4 per game, thus far, compared to what Dallas did in the first 3 series - 16 per game against the Thunder! - is absolutely wild.

Tatum defending those centers and still rebounding has been great. I do wonder if in Game 3 theyā€™ll try to have Gafford post on him a little more as they did have some success doing that.

Well, heā€™s at 82.2% now.

Welp.

The Celtics donā€™t need Porzingis. They just need a credible lineup in the non-Horford minutes. Would you rather sacrifice offense or defense?

Allegedly there are less than 50 recorded cases of this injury. It also looks like it happened when Hardy and Lively aggressively sandwiched him on a made FTA boxout. Good fucking times.

tbf there are way less recorded cases of Porzingis.

1 Like

I assume Kornet gets first crack. As you know, the offense with him this year was outstanding, they had like a 122 o-rating with him on the floor, and itā€™s even higher when he and Tatum are on at the same time. If they put Luka on him, well, then Kornet screens every time, and heā€™s a good enough passer on the roll when help sags from the corner. Spacing is much worse.

I assume heā€™ll defend DJJ, and then Dallas will screen and Luka will pick on him. Luka got a lot of nice looks when Porzingis switched on him or was in drop, but itā€™ll be worse with Kornet. Kornet looked rough against the Pacers, with all that quickness from Nembhard/Hali/TJM, so I think Kyrie may give him even more trouble.

I do assume at some point, whether itā€™s the Celtics or his next team, weā€™ll see Kornet get up 3s again. I think I mentioned it in this thread, but the one three he took this year looked like an intentional low shot clock play to me. All Time NCAA leader in 3s for a 7ā€™+ guy. Grant Williams-esque 18 corner threes tonight? I kid.

Kentucky offered Hurley more than the lakers did. lol,lakers.

Who do we think made it public that they were going after him? Because the Lakers look like idiots. Would he have leaked it to get UCONN boosters to sweeten the pot?

1 Like

Also the Logo ā„¢ļø

So which thread does he belong in?

3 Likes

Yeah I donā€™t know why he stopped shooting 3s. He had 7 in a game for the Knicks early in his career. I think about this often. If Al can pick it up in his 8th year, how does Kornet regress so hard to the point they donā€™t let him shoot any?

I read speculation of two different things:
(1) he had an injury that affected his long distance shooting
(2) he realized he wasnā€™t a good enough shooter and was going to be out of the NBA, so stopped working on it in order to become a ā€œnormalā€ NBA big, which seems to have worked out. Heā€™s definitely in the NBA next year, I assume heā€™ll get a couple years guaranteed, and maybe not at the minimum.

I have no idea if either are true. The shooting thing maybe it was true but heā€™s healed - heā€™s 94 of 108 from the free throw line the last two seasons - 87%. His FT% isnā€™t on huge volume - little over 100 the last couple of years, but his shot looks nice and itā€™s hard to see how someone can make FTs at that rate but be hopeless from 3. I never get to games early enough to see if heā€™s putting 3s up in warmups, maybe heā€™s still working on it. The one that he took this year looked nice!

I actually think the adjustment might be to go centerless and have Tatum as your nominal center in a very switchable lineup when Horford is off the floor but Luka is playing.

I think they try Kornet first but theyā€™ll be quick to shift to Brisett or Tillman if thatā€™s not working, but I think shortening the rotation to seven players might be how they end up adjusting.

Tillman has been pretty ass on offense. Just give me Brissy.