National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

It’s like Ainge getting Tatum and an extra first to drop two slots so that Philly had the luxury of drafting Fultz.

The draft compensation for one year of Jrue seems excessive.

Milwaukee in obv scramble mode to keep Giannis. Jrue’s timeline fits much, much better than Paul’s in terms of him wanting to stick around so it was smart from that angle. Their hand is forced in paying him after the year a likely max.

Don’t mind it for Milwaukee. You either get to keep both of neither after this year. The worst part is next year is the most stacked draft in a while and you could be tanking in two years but will get the 29th pick next year

jfc - three first rounders AND a couple pick swaps.

It must mean that the Bucks are very confident that Giannis is re-signing and likely Jrue, as well. If that happens, the picks probably aren’t that big of a deal, since they’ll be late first round. I’m being hopeful here.

If this run with Giannis ends, the team is totally fucked for long time.

From a championship equity standpoint they just have to operate as if Giannis is staying.

No idea about how to approach it from a business standpoint but my guess is it’s ok to suck bad in the NBA.

Oh, hai

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1328562566071791616

More like they just made a trade that Giannis demanded in order to stay.

Kawhi told the Raps trade Siakam for PG13 and he’d stick around, they obv didn’t.

Giannis might not have said Jrue or bust, but wanted to see something big. I think Jrue is getting overrated as a difference maker but he fits their system well.

If they sign Giannis for an extension the draft picks would never be that great, although we don’t know exact details yet. Bledsoe has 3 more years on his contract. Jrue is better at literally everything. I like it.

Jrue is one of those guys who were so underrated for so long they seem overrated by simply talking about them.

I hope for the Pelicans’ sake they have some plan in motion for Bledsoe, cause they really don’t need him.

2020 #24 is guaranteed to be one of the picks. The Bucks also owe their 2022 pick to Cleveland (from the George Hill trade) with protection until 2024. The seven year rule means that if they wait until after this year’s draft to do a trade, they can only trade as far out as 2027. This makes it a bit weird, as they can’t trade the 2025 and 2027 picks due to the protection on the 2022 pick. They can trade a pick for two years after the pick to Cleveland conveys and I think they can do a trade for a first two years after that which devolves to a second if it goes beyond the seven-year window, but I’d have to reread the CBA to figure it out.

The interesting thing is the timing for the pick swaps. I would guess 2021 and the year after the Cleveland pick conveys.

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1328569200479178756
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1328575315988402185

So yeah, Giannis is staying.

That’s a good point about Bledsoe’s deal bc NO is giving up the prized asset and taking back bad money. Compensation seems more fair with that context. I can’t imagine anyone else wants him, but I don’t see why NO wouldn’t start him. Lonzo has always struggled against ball pressure, he’s a two with great vision not a primary ballhandler - he gives it up too quick.

Again they’re going to be boxed into overpaying Jrue now but you do what you gotta do to keep Giannis: It’s a no-brainer.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1328580779966914561

Bucks have the best starting five in the league now. Scary.

1 Like

Nice. Now if they can only find a head coach who gets that you play your starters 33 MPG in the regular season so you could play them 40 in the playoffs, not because it’s an optimal strategy.

1 Like

They’re going to be hard-capped by the Bogdanovic S&T, so they have a bit over $15 million to use on eight roster spots. The two-year minimum (what you are charged in team salary for signing a veteran to the minimum) is about $1.6 million. They really shouldn’t sign anyone for more than that to have some flexibility in case they need to replace someone who is out for the season with an injury. Maybe Kyle Korver, Sterling Brown, and Pat Connaughton will come back for the minimum, but we saw what kind of bench the Warriors were able to put together on a shoestring budget.

Pat’s going to get paid somewhere.

Not paid paid, but something above the min.

Well something in between might be true.

As an unrestricted 27 year-old free agent with just over $6M in career earnings, Connaughton may be looking at his last shot at a notable NBA contract, but the Bucks’ cap situation and his inconsistent production suggest that he may ply his trade elsewhere. Milwaukee does hold his Early Bird rights, allowing them to go over the cap and still re-sign Connaughton to a contract starting at up to 175% of his 2019-20 salary (which would be just over $3.0M).

And the vet min for a player with 5 years experience is $1,882,867.

So they can sign him for almost double the min.

The MLE this year is $9,258,000 for non-taxpayers and $5,718,000 for taxpayers.

Which means there’s still room between what Milwaukee can offer and what may be available to him out there. You have to assume a full MLE isn’t in the cards and if a team tries to split it up the math will probably be close enough that he’s staying a Buck.

What is the point of the CP3 trade for the Suns? I guess it makes them favorites to playoff next year, but don’t see them as having any title equity. Booker and Ayton are still quite young, so would have thought goal would be to find 3rd piece that matches their timeline. I could also see CP3 ruining their chemistry as he seems pretty particular with respect to his teammates. Even if he does work out, he’s gone in two years, which should be when Suns are peaking.

1 Like

Sad to see Jrue go, but that is quite a haul in return. Happy with it.

I mean, it’s Tilman Fertitta, so the story is believable.

Also, it’s not significant, but the Bucks got picks 46 and 60 from the Pelicans in Jrue trade. So at least they have a chance to maybe, possibly get a bench player, however unlikely that is with those picks.

Non-Trump supporting sports ball team owners have to be in single digits across all sports right? At least tacit support.