National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

God fucking damn it. I just happened to find myself in downtown Cleveland 2016 game 7. (No really I just happened to find myself in downtown Cleveland game 7) (no really). Shit was a such a fun celebration as I pretended to be a Cavs fan wearing a UK shirt.

Cops let some people jump on their cop car that happened to be in downtown Cleveland.

1 Like

Only one more and he’s caught up with Adam Morrison.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/DunkBait/status/1318604943402565632

Hilarious

3 Likes

Interesting to see how he handles Simmons/Embiid situation. My first instinct is that he is going to deal Simmons and build around the better talent, but maybe he disagree on which one that is.

Unstoppable force vs immovable object (not literally) with it being a true big vs someone who can’t shoot (to this point). Both have run counter to his philosophy lately (Russ was foisted on him).

I’d guess he’s going to try to run Simmons at the 5, if they let him.

Stop the count @goofyballer

2 Likes

In 1964, the NBA was about to get a television showcase, with the All-Star Game at the famed Boston Garden becoming the league’s first national network game. The only problem was that the that the players were angry. The league had reneged on agreement for a meeting between the Board of Governors and the NBA Players Association, primarily to discuss a pension plan, among other issues, at a time when players, even the stars, often worked a second job during the off-season.

As the players trickled into Boston under blizzard conditions, the NBAPA president met with them one by one and procured their support for a strike, refusing to play the All-Star Game unless the league fulfilled their promise of a pension. The owners were furious with some, notably Bob Short of the Lakers, threatening to fire their stars if they didn’t take the floor. Eventually, commissioner Walter Kennedy agreed to their demands and the game started fifteen minutes behind schedule.

This expression of collective action was one of the precedents that current NBA players could draw upon in halting play within the bubble during this strange season.

The union president who helped organize this labor action was Tommy Heinsohn, who died today at the age of 86. I can’t say if the idea originated with him, but he played a big role in seeing it through. Older fans and those with an eye towards history may know him as one of the few people inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame as both a player and a coach. Some may recognize his voice and passionate homerism that was endearing to Celtics fans and obnoxious to League Pass viewers. The ESPN write-up does not mention this, which may be his most lasting achievement in the NBA and one which every player should be thankful for.

6 Likes

Shit, I didn’t know Heinsohn died!

That gets you a Tommy point.

1 Like

That was a man who loved basketball. I always dig passionate people.

Great post NBZ, I was ignorant to it.

Heinsohn was in the league 9 years and won 8 championships. The other year he lost in the final, lol.

You can say the dominance is diminished bc of the tiny league, it’s true but it doesn’t diminish individual greatness.

Also even it it’s a lot of luck, circumstances, etc. it’s just a remarkable fact.

2020 sucks man. Tommy was a massive homer but one of the good guys for sure. Absolutely loved him as a Cs fan it’s pretty gutting even though I’m a youngin’ and didn’t hear him during his peak in the 80s other than games I rewatched with my parents on VHS.

Gahhhh. I really hope they replace him with Perk and not Scal.

Sorry, but i still had to mute every Celtics game he was commentating on.

3 Likes

The Chris Paul - Westbrook trade is going to go down as one off the worst ever. Rockets had to give up a ton of picks to get Westbrook and then a year later, Paul is clearly the better asset. Rockets likely going to have to give up a pick (or take some terrible contract) to unload Westbrook, while Paul nets a first.

Also, if Harden forces a trade, Rockets picks are likely to be decently high.

1 Like

Yeah, that Paul-Westbrook trade looks nuts now.

The Thunder can still trade Rubio and Oubre for worse players and more draft picks if they want, or roll out a respectable team and let them compete, like they did last year.

I would love to see this deal get done:

Brooklyn gives Houston: Kyrie + Lavert + whatever package of players and picks is necessary to get it done.

Houston gives Brooklyn: Harden and Westbrook.

Durant, Harden, Westbrook reunited and given an opportunity to finish what they started in OKC. I am in 100%.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1328556260506161152

Russell “The Paperclip” Westbrook

Some of these trades wouldn’t be accepted in a fantasy league.

3 Likes