National Basketball Association - 2022/23 Season (Part 1)

Maybe there’s a better account of Bob’s betting operation somewhere, but everything I’ve seen was something like “i put all my money on lakers over sixers in the 2001 finals and then I found some hole in the nba lines??? profit”

like there’s absolutely no way that can make you high 9 figures. you need a far bigger operation, you need tons of connections in Asia because lol if you made that in American markets. You need to bet more than NBA games cause there’s simply not enough games a year

He wasn’t pro in 01. He went pro post poker boom after being a good HS player.

Onion

This is an all-time tweet.

https://twitter.com/olskool888/status/1451592874689122305

1 Like

NBA 50 at 50 vs 75th anniversary team

New:
Ray Allen
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Carmelo Anthony
Kobe Bryant
Steph Curry
Anthony Davis
Tim Duncan
Kevin Durant
Kevin Garnett
James Harden
Allen Iverson
LeBron James
Jason Kidd
Kawhi Leonard
Damian Lillard
Bob McAdoo
Reggie Miller
Steve Nash
Dirk Nowitzki
Chris Paul
Gary Payton
Paul Pierce
Dennis Rodman
Dwayne Wade
Russell Westbrook
Dominique Wilkins

'Nique, Rodman, and McAdoo, plus players whose careers came after the last list.

Most NBA win shares (so ignoring people with significant ABA careers like Artis Gilmore) not on the list:
Pau Gasol (28th)
Dwight Howard (32nd)
Adrian Dantley (35th)
Walt Bellamy (37th)
Vince Carter (40th)
Shawn Marion (42nd)
Chauncey Billups (43rd)
Buck Williams (46th)
Horace Grant (47th)
Chet Walker (49th)
Bob Lanier (50th)

Lowest NBA win shares on the list (might have missed a few):
Giannis 188th
Willis Reed 187th
Earl Monroe 167th
Nate Thurmond 165th
Isiah Thomas 154th
James Worthy 151st
Kawhi Leonard 141st
Nate Archibald 139th
Bob McAdoo 118th

So, who thinks Simmons is exploiting the desire to tread carefully around mental health issues?

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1451562599418576907

to gain what?

He wants to keep up the pretense that he is making an effort to play.

it would be more beneficial for his career to do literally anything else than what is going on now, so i doubt that is 4d chess

He doesn’t want to play for the 76ers. Obviously, it would have been better for him to come to camp and be disruptive on the court and in the locker room, but he started down a different path and he’s kind of stuck.

What’s the best course for him to get out of Philly with as much money as possible, given the constraint of him not playing or practicing with the team?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EnesKanter/status/1451581224087134209

Once again the lakers bench gets crushed. Lebron and Davis can’t play 48 minutes a game.

I am sure that rag tag motley crew will round into shape soon.

Going to Pacers v Heat tonight. Can’t wait to lose by 1.

4 Likes

2 Likes

you’re a real annie leibovitz

3 Likes

He literally paid some dude(s) to do the actual model-building stuff. And, like, he had to because he has no actual training or knowledge in it. It’s something people go to school for for years, not some shit you can pick up in a weekend. In fact, I recall him touting one of the dudes (maybe there was only one?) as a math genius. What does his average profit per bet need to come out to in order to win “hundreds of millions” over 20 years or so?

What if he counts the present day value of crypto that he held onto after being paid out in such?

That would be capital gains, not sports betting profit.

I’m not claiming he’s perfectly honest.

I also seem to remember him saying that he never really wanted to be a GM because it would be a huge pay cut for him. He mentioned that he was paying his “quant” (i.e., the model-builder) what a GM makes. That’s a lot of overhead. Of course if he really was making 100s of millions, it’s nothing. But I’m as skeptical of that as you are.