Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

tenor

4 Likes

MERCI BLAH BLAH

1 Like

Never seen it.

@RiskyFlush

Did you do the watch parties?

Ed Wood is indeed a great movie.

I did. There are a few stragglers here and there, but most are in this thread.

2 Likes

br

Everything he’s made in the last 20 years is soulless trash, but in the 90s he had a great run, come on !

Batman returns is a masterpiece (with a goat soundtrack for me), Beetlejuice, Edward scissorhands, nightmare before xmas are excellent, and all the rest up to Sleepy Hollow are at least good…

2 Likes

He didn’t make nightmare before Christmas.

Well he wrote it, and it has clear “this is a Tim Burton movie” vibes. I think it’s fair to call it a Tim Burton work.

1 Like

correct-futurama|100%

Idk I feel like this is a case where it’s fine to digress from auteur theory and give him a large part of the credit for it even if he didn’t direct it…in any case it’s disingenuous to discard it if we’re discussing his filmography

1 Like

Watching Mulholland Drive at 18yo, being blown away while having no idea wtf I just watched and trying to make sense of these lynch dvd clues was really something else…

I’ve seen a lot of great movies since but I doubt I’ll ever experience a movie high close to that again.

(Not to mention that today I’d have just jumped on the internet immediately after the 1st watch to get a full explanation of the plot)

3 Likes

True, but if I recall, Mulholland was meant to be a TV series.

The American-French co-production was originally conceived as a television pilot, and a large portion of the film was shot in 1999 with Lynch’s plan to keep it open-ended for a potential series. After viewing Lynch’s cut, however, television executives rejected it. Lynch then provided an ending to the project, making it a feature film. The half-pilot, half-feature result, along with Lynch’s characteristic surrealist style, has left the general meaning of the film’s events open to interpretation.

It would have been today’s Westworld, endlessly debated in online circles, especially Reddit nerds arguing whether Lynch’s explanation shows he doesn’t understand his own movie lol.

1 Like

Banshees of Inisherin on HBOMax. I’ve been meaning to watch it.

3 Likes

Oh shit, already?

Thanks for the heads up. Might watch that this weekend.

FYI: Glengarry Glen Ross is now on Hulu

4 Likes

Oh fuck yeah, weekend plan. Been waiting for this one

4 Likes

This is for all you LOTR nerds out there.

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1603467435251798033

4 Likes