Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

This is a super weird surface reading. The protagonists mystery is dumb. That’s the joke. The movies mystery is a very smart subversion of the genre and a brilliant critique of the current state of cinema as a business.

Seems a bit far-fetched, why would the guy who landed a deal with them to develop his movies at a ridiculously high budget suddenly criticize them ? to speak like the detective there’s a clear lack of motive :slight_smile:

re: the specific scene, I feel like this kind of cathartic “let’s destroy rich people and/or their stuff” is a bit tired by now (the 1970 version was good though) so this just felt like a cynical way to play with the zeitgeist, and the fact that in this case this is actually performed with the help of the other characters, which are as big parasites / guillotine deserving as the Musk type really rubbed me the wrong way.

That’s cuz you’re old as **** ctr

It’s not let’s destroy rich people stuff. It’s let’s destroy the most famous piece of art on earth. It’s a stand in for what is happening to movies.

So why is it the protagonist who does it (or vice-protagonist or whatever)? Johnson is destroying cinema to protest the destruction of cinema?

2 Likes

Yeah, making your own big franchise established product movie bad as a genre critique is weird.

Making you own movie with your own characters? Fine.

But TLJ was just awful for what Chris stated.

haha I’m not that old (not giving my exact age but there’s a clue a few posts up), also no idea what that pic is referencing

1 Like

He isn’t destroying cinema. He is destroying art in another medium as stand in for what is happening in his medium.

It’s subtext and not critical to a reading of the film but it’s clearly there.

Lol old enough to say they got it right in the 70s :crazy_face:

The pic is the rat from the final shot of The Departed.

1 Like

grunching

You know it’s based on an absolutely nutso true story, right? Real life camp is the best kind, imho. Google Andrew Thornton.

The stuffed bear is in Lexington because Andrew Thornton lived in Kentucky, and it’s kind of a Kentucky claim to fame sort of thing.

Anyway, in light of the upcoming release of cocaine bear, I’ll share a little insider info into the real story from my good friend Dan BC, who wasn’t involved but kinda was?

2 Likes

All Quiet on the Western Front (2022)

Much like West Side Story last year, I went in wondering if another version of a Best Picture winner was necessary. I was more forgiving with this one, since that was almost a century ago and this one was in German.

That said, there were a few choices made that I really wasn’t a fan of.

• They took out the entire part about Paul going home and being alienated from normal life. In its place, was the discussion of the armistice negotiation, which took some of the focus away from Paul’s story.

• The very loud bass noises during some of the scenes was very distracting.

• My biggest problem, though, was the end. Kat’s death was just stupid. Dude has a family to go home to and he risks it trying to steal a goose when he knows the war is over? Was also not a fan of Paul’s “at the buzzer” stabbing.

That’s a lot of complaing, but I wouldn’t say this is a bad film. I’d give this movie very high marks for cinematography and acting. It’s a good movie that could have been elite.

1 Like

Solid review :+1:

I know that cinemasins in general is looked down upon, but I did enjoy their take on Everything Eveywhere All at Once.

And hes absolutely right, this movie should be swimming in oscar nods. I dont trust the academy to do anything correctly, but we will see.

100%

By far the best movie I saw in 2022. It’d be crime for Yeoh to not get a Best Actress win.

1 Like

Someone pleeeeeeeeease access the wormhole so I can go through the Mandella Effect and see this version of Good Will Hunting.

“I remember he showed us clips of Mexican gangs,” Damon said. “He was like, ‘this is your movie!’ ‘This is the movie you gotta make.’ I was like, “what??’ These dudes have neck tats; they’re Mexican; that’s not at all what South Boston is, man. I didn’t understand, and I dunno; I think he wanted to take it in a really dark, like these dudes are like wacking people in the street. [It was] like… ‘uh, yeah, we’re not doing the Whitey Bulger thing, we’re doing kids from that neighborhood,’ but you know… “

“Anyway, I hadn’t thought about that in a long time,” he continued. “But I do remember him showing to Ben and to us [the Mexican gang bangers footage], we’re sitting there, and he walks out of the room, and we looked at each other, ‘what the f*ck is going on?’ Like we wrote it, that’s our movie. OK. You’re telling us that’s our movie?? But look, every director comes at it from their own [perspective]. It is a director’s medium, so thank god Harvey [Weinstein] gave the job to Gus [Van Sant]. We had wanted Gus the whole time.”

1 Like

Enjoyed it. Had my thinking cap engaged. Sure I was missing tons of stuff.

Looked up latest oscar odds

Babylon is fucking dead. Babylon is going to go down as one of the all time box office bombs. I get why it initially had decent odds. Damien Chazelle was basically hitting 100% before Babylon. Nothing Hollywood loves more than Hollywood, and apparently they gave him a green light to make a bloated 3 hour pic about Hollywood (even if Babylon is about the dark side of hollywood)

I say all this to looking at the odds. I can’t help but think Everything Everywhere All at Once actually has a good shot at actually doing well at the Oscars. It’s biggest issue is The Fabelmans. Long story short it is a semi biographical movie about Spielberg falling in love with the movies.

Staring at those odds if I was a betting man I would bet Everything Everywhere All At Once at +600.

I really want Yeoh to win. But every critic praises the hell out of Blanchett for Tar, even though she already has two oscars.

I wouldn’t bet against the Academy giving Spielberg a third best director Oscar since he might be the GOAT and it feels he should have more than 2 best director oscars

Would bet on Everything Everywhere for best supporting actor and actress if odds were right.

2 Likes

Fablemans winning over All at once would be the ultimate Hollywood eye roll

1 Like

It would further cement the Oscars as a Hollywood circle jerk rather than a legitimate awards event.