Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I was a big fan of this movie and completely forgot it existed until you just mentioned it. Time for a rewatch.

1 Like

Iā€™m just going to assume you are aware of the cultural relevance of Bambaataa.

I am, but I was not aware of his abusive history. He sounds like a pretty shitty person and Iā€™d find it difficult to listen to his music now and not think about what he did. Just like I canā€™t listen to Spade Cooley and not be reminded that he beat his wife to death in front of their daughter. But those crimes are on them as individuals, not the cultures they are associated with.

The Sixth Sense was terrible and is one of (if not the) worst movies to get nominated for Best Picture.

I will die on this hill.

This is completely oversimplifying the point Iā€™m making, but this isnā€™t really the thread for this discussion.

I want to believe Iā€™ve seen it, but I donā€™t remember anything about it, which means about the same thing. I should check it out.

I read the production notes and was pleased to see it was Benicio del Toro who may deserve the most credit for keeping McQuarrie in the game.

Over coffee, Benicio del Toro asked McQuarrie why he had not made another crime film. McQuarrie replied that he did not want to be typecast as ā€œa crime guyā€[4] but realized that he had nothing to lose, ā€œunemployed and ready to make trouble.ā€[4] Del Toro convinced him to write a crime film on his own terms because he would get the least amount of interference from a studio. McQuarrie was interested in making a movie ā€œthat you can follow characters who donā€™t go out of their way to ingratiate themselves to you, who arenā€™t traditionally sympathetic.ā€

Alsoā€¦lololololol

He and del Toro gave the script to several high-profile actors at the time all of whom turned them down. Ryan Phillippe wanted to change the direction of his career and ā€œwas besieged with choice offers, and we didnā€™t want him, but he would not take no for an answer.ā€

I think there were three pivotal movies that resurrected McQuarrieā€™s career.

Valkyrie connects him with Tom Cruise

The Wolverine shows audiences this guy can reboot anything

And so heā€™s brought in to reboot World War Z before the first movie has even released

So now heā€™s friends with the Donners, Fox Studios, Marvel, Tom Cruise, JJ Abrams, Damon Lindeloff, and Brad Pitt.

Better check whether youā€™re already dead.

2 Likes

Decided to go watch the new Avatar movie. First I rented the first one to rewatch it. That rewatch almost made me not going. I hadā€™nt watched the movie since its release and there wasnt much I missed those past years.
So picture-wise the movie is great. Storywise it was nothing i havent seen in some form already and nothing that couldnt have been told in 2hrs. I didnt need another reminder what shitbags humans are in search for profit and even so I usually cheer for the natives it probably wont make my list for a 2nd watch since I dont find any of the main characters likeable.

1 Like

Watched the Elvis movie.

Iā€™ve never seen a Baz Luhrmann movie before, and I wasnā€™t sure if I would like the style when it first started.

Iā€™m a little too young to comment on the accuracy of it, but I liked the film quite a bit. The dude that played Elvis was outstanding, and I will not be surprised at all if he takes Best Actor. Other performances (including Tom Hanks) were nothing special, but that really didnā€™t matter.

1 Like

Luhrman can be a little over-the-top with the artsy-fartsiness at times (looking at you Great Gatsby) but he didnā€™t complete ruin this one imo. Iā€™ve read a couple of bios on Elvis though, and they really left a lot out of his story in this film, but the music was awesome and I really liked the stuff about his time in both Memphis and Vegas. It was good, but it could have been better.

I heard one reviewer say something like ā€œIā€™d like to see the movie that Tom Hanks was doingā€ and that made sense to me. At the same time, I didnā€™t love Hanksā€™ portrayal of the Colonel, nor the fact that the writer seemed to have assumed we already knew his whole story so they gave exposition where I would have liked to see more story.

I agree the kid was good. I hope he doesnā€™t get typecast but Iā€™m gonna see Elvis every time I see him on screen going forward.

1 Like

Also if youā€™re into that sort of thingā€¦Steve Binder released a book this year about the behind-the-scenes stuff and the making of the 68 Comeback Special that is good. He directed it and was portrayed in the movie by Dacre Montgomery.

Binder also has a documentary in the works about that special

1 Like

Just rewatched The Game first time since it came out. It really delivers. Fincher is a master.

1 Like

Oh and ANOTHER fun (to me, anyway) Elvis related thing: Iā€™m mindlessly watching Roadhouse last week for like the hundredth time, and when the credits rolled I noticed the name Red West. I was like, nah, canā€™t be. (Two members of the ā€œMemphis Mafiaā€ were brothers Sonny and Red West whose names Luhrman flashes briefly during the movie when heā€™s introducing them. Red and Sonny also co-wrote one of the books I read titled Elvis: What Happened which I also recommend if youā€™ve not read it.) Anyway I looked it up and, yep, itā€™s that Red West!

I loved the soundtrack to Moulin Rouge so much that it made me think I was

1. a fan of Baz Luhrman
  2. a fan of Moulin Rouge

Having said that, his Romeo & Juliet has thus far made all other adaptations feel redundant.

IMO the all-time best Elvis biopic is the penultimate episode of Quantum Leap, in which Scott Bakula shows off some very nice singing chops.

1 Like

If youā€™ve seen one Baz Luhrman movie, youā€™ve seen them all.

1 Like

2 Likes

Very surprised to find myself agreeing with this. Really liked the first one a lot.

Glass Onion

Unlike most here I thought the 2nd half (actual mystery & murder investigation) was much better than the 1st (kinda weak & unfunny rich people satire).

Hated the climax though and why burn the Mona Lisa :sob:

Rian Johnson needs to work with better writers but as always he has a few fun tricks (the short fake flashback was cool and really worked on me exactly as intended, i thought ā€œhuh thatā€™s not how i remember itā€¦guess iā€™m wrongā€)

Had sky high expectations and unfortunately this didnā€™t quite meet them, but still was very good and obviously should be seen in theaters by everyone

One thing I didnā€™t expect is when the second part of the third act (long movie lol) brought back memories of seeing Titanic in theaters as a kid multiple timesā€¦Iā€™d forgotten how much Iā€™d loved that

The ending is his fuck you to Netflix for helping destroy cinema.

Johnson really gets meta/ā€œsubversiveā€ or whatever in some very wrong spots. Like the end of this one is more or less making fun of the idea of murder mysteries, like ā€œoh I was expecting something complex but heā€™s dumb so itā€™s simpleā€.

It was like that in The Last Jedi, a movie I hate with the fire of a thousand suns. The previous movie closes with Rey finding Luke on that island and holding the light saber out to him, wide shot, dramatic music, one generation reaches out to another, etc. And then in the opening scene of TLJ Luke grabs it and throws it over his shoulder, itā€™s played for laughs.

And itā€™s like, Iā€™m aware these movies are dumb and childish, it doesnā€™t make you smart to point that out, it makes you a supercilious asshole who wonā€™t let people enjoy them. I saw Johnson in interviews say that he rewatched the original trilogy and they struck him as comedies, but what is supposed to be played for laughs is the danger, like the trash compactor scene. The character drama is dead serious. You donā€™t interrupt the ā€œI am your father sceneā€ with a fart joke.

Itā€™s the same problem here I think. In a mystery movie of this type the central conceit of the intricate mystery is all-important. You donā€™t make fun of it like ā€œoh you were expecting a clever mystery, BAM SUBVERTED, itā€™s actually just dumbā€.

2 Likes