Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

My family and I actually watched it together so we could listen to the episode on our Utah road trip, it’s a good one, I think you’ll like it.

I also recommend “Moonfall” and the corresponding episode, that movie is just ridiculous.

1 Like

Awesome!! I tried hard to watch it. The trailer looked very exciting imo, but I couldn’t watch it to the end.

That’s the true joy for me of critics like HDTGM, slashfilmcast, or the now sadly long-defunct Yeah…It’s That Bad. They help me find something to appreciate about otherwise crushing disappointments. Even if it’s just a joke that helps me smile while I explain why the movie sucks.

I really enjoy your movie reviews and couldn’t agree more with this write up.

I just couldn’t imagine Spielberg could say anything interesting that 2001 or Ghost In The Shell hadn’t. This one has it’s own little spot on the map.

1 Like

Just watched the new top gun.

OMFG. Loved it. Easily a top 5 action movie of all time for me.

That last fight scene. So good. Felt very real. Somehow super fast. Yet very easy to follow what was happening.

4 Likes

Thx for the kind words.
I think it was you who recommended Tarkovsky’s Mirror itt ? I watched it some time back (in late 2021 which is why I didn’t put it in my previous post) and was really blown away by it (even though I could not tell what it’s about now and if I’m honest not much more just after finishing it). I think I would have enjoyed his other movies more if I’d seen this one before, it’s so good.

So Yeoh, Fraser, Quon, and Hsu for the acting awards?

I could see it.

Is Kerry Condon anywhere in the running? I went into Banshees expecting Gleeson/Farrel to put on the best performances but I really enjoyed her character and her performance.

Hmmm, no love for We Hate Movies?

For sure. I can easily see her winning. The scene towards the end with Barry K is amazing from both of them.

That and her last scene in the cabin with Farrell, and pretty much every scene with Gleeson were pitch perfect. She nailed the role.

Ive always found her performance in BCS to be kinda stiff, and now I wonder how much of that is concentrating on the american accent (which is really quite good considering how thick her irish is.) It just seems she is able to give so much more to the character in her native tongue.

I really enjoyed Farrell’s performance too. Its a shame he has to go up against Fraser in the category. He’s roughly 0% but he should have had a shot with this.

1 Like

Dang I forgot about them. Haven’t listened to them in a while.

Any fave eps to suggest?

Speaking of Banshees, I think the critics are a tad harsh. Yes, the war allegory is pretty on the nose, but I didnt feel it as just a “series of stuff happening in a sea of beautiful shots and great acting.” The story is much more interesting than just passable, and I found myself engrossed the entire time.

But I really felt the despair of living on this tiny island with literally nothing to do. I could feel why Gleeson was so hell bent on being remembered, and why Farrell couldn’t just up and lose his closest friend for no reason. The absolute devastation of Barry G understanding his true place in the world after Condon turns him down at the end, and her desperation to be anywhere else in the world. Its about the horrors and pointlessness of war, yes. But its also about the horrors of stagnation and complacency. I wouldnt say the movie is greater than the sum of its parts, but I would say each part is important and the sum adds up to a very impressive film and story.

3 Likes

I thought the editing was pristine.

It was like a perfectly optimized flight simulator. This is the kind of stuff that makes me get sick even in a VR box, but the editor figured out how to mix all sorts of different shots so that it’s always immersive without disruption, filling out visceral moments so you feel the flight in your body and then cutting away just in time to orient you to the action and let you calm down for the next run.

2 Likes

Ill have to look, I actually havent listened in a while either. Been going through a 600 ep backlog of a show I enjoy to see how they got where they are.

Their halloween season shows are always great but im a sucker for horror movies. The first two Leprechauns with James and Chelsea of Dead Meat got some good laughs out of me.

1 Like

Well well well the most recent episode is on Home Alone 2 :popcorn:

1 Like

Yeah, after watching it in a regular theatre I was really bummed I didnt make the trek to the nearest IMAX to see it. If they ever rerelease I will make a point to see it on that screen.

1 Like

Oh shit, their first Home Alone is great. I know what Ill be listening to when cleaning today

1 Like

That’s a good idea. Maybe I will consider making the trek too if it gets a re release. I watched it three times at home and can only imagine it on IMAX.

Oh man, the one before that is Christmas with the Kranks which is an abbhorent movie. Will have to listen to that too

1 Like

For the HA2 ep, the opening jokes about Trump and his cameos are pretty good :joy: