Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I wrote a review somewhere in this thread. I saw it at the Venice Film Festival back in September. It is fantastic and hands down my favorite film I’m seen this year.

Link to my earlier post…

1 Like

It’s odd, because I keep seeing the trailer for it and it doesn’t actually look good to me based on that…but Emma Stone running it back with Yorgos Lanthimos and getting universal raves, it essentially has to be great, right? So I’m still hyped for it.

2 Likes

For sure my most anticipated movie in the next few months.

Checked out the trailer based on your comments and I’m with you. The trailer looks Not Good, but it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a bad trailer for a great movie.

Yeah, I’d probably be less blindly optimistic just based on raves alone, but The Favourite was great and this seems to have even more buzz behind it than that did.

Also in general I don’t think I’ve seen a single Emma Stone movie that I didn’t like on some level? Just looked her up on Letterboxd and she’s 9-for-9 of the stuff I’ve seen her in. This unblemished record might be aided by the fact that I have yet to bother with the Andrew Garfield Spiderman movies, but still.

1 Like

To be fair, four of us went to see it. Three of us loved it but my friend’s husband couldn’t wait to get out of the theater… so ymmv.

The night before it was Memory with Jessica Chastain which was getting rave reviews and I was the one who couldn’t wait for it to end. The others mostly liked it but it wasn’t making any of their best of the year lists.

1 Like

Back to the Future as a movie pitch

3 Likes

Good call. They are bad in a way that just doesn’t make sense.

I think given your tastes with Nathan Fielder that you may like Emma in this short from the admittedly controversially bad anthology Movie 43. She’s one of the only people who seems like she relished what she signed up for.

Huh. After 110,000+ votes, Movie 43 has attained the specific score of 4.3. I feel like I just found a dentist named Crentist.

That Stone/Culkin clip was pretty good. I’ll trust the aggregator and take a pass on the rest since it sounds like maybe that was the only part she was in.

1 Like

Fair enough. Three or four of the shorts are as good as that one, but the others are so offensively bad that you need to be into how bad they are or you end up with a 4.3 on IMDb.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1731830981278183833?t=qg5oS5PA2UMiske_khGCqA&s=19

Me: wtf are they looking at?

Later: where the hell did she come from??

Star Wars is anti film

I admittedly know nothing about stunt work, but in an era well before CGI I can’t get my head around how this could be done safely. (Unless those are dummies. But it seems like actual stuntmen.)

1 Like

Before liberals ruined America, real men didn’t do things “safely”, we did things with gumption. And those of us that survived wouldnt have it any other way, dagnabit!

2 Likes

I was trying to figure out how they did it with compositing and stuff, but there’s too much shrapnel mixing with the background and foreground for it not to be real.

Turns out it’s one of the most dangerous stunts in film history and could easily have killed the stunt men.

In this scene, infamous Old West outlaws Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid rob a train and set up some dynamite to blow open a safe. Of course, they use too much dynamite and accidentally blow up the whole train while standing right in front of it. This scene actually had two stuntmen standing in front of an actual explosion. The train for this scene was built out of balsa wood so the stunt men wouldn’t get hurt. But still, the explosion was incredibly dangerous. To put things in perspective, the cameras closest to the explosion were fortified in bunkers so they wouldn’t be damaged. There was no way to perfectly control the explosion. The fireball could have easily shot shrapnel or jagged pieces of much more dangerous.

Pretty wild, especially since the over-the-top nature of the explosion is mostly just there for some comic relief and that funny deadpan by Redford at the end of the scene. I mean, since no harm was done I actually love the moment, but my immediate reaction was one of “WTF, how did they do that?!” And apparently the answer was akin to the cop telling Jeff Daniels in Dumb and Dumber, “That was a risk we were willing to take.”

1 Like

Such a different time. My face still melts thinking of the stunts that DID go wrong on big-name movies of those days.

What do we know about Ari Aster’s “Eddington”? Not much, really. However, the script has leaked to a lucky few, and I managed to get some details about the plot of this mysterious movie, which is said to take place during the pandemic. It’s being described as an “ensemble film.”

PLOT — “Eddington” is about a couple (Lindsay and Marc) driving through New Mexico, on their way to Los Angeles, who run out of gas just outside of small town Eddington, New Mexico. Lindsay and Marc decide to enter the town for help. They are, at first, greeted very warmly, but, as nightfall comes, the picturesque setting soon turns into a nightmare.

@LKJ this could easily be my favorite film of the year. This is like a dream team putting Emma with Ari Aster.

1 Like

Can’t lie, I’m lukewarm on Aster so far. Only halfway liked Midsommar and Hereditary. I’ll still be checking out Beau is Afraid when it hits streaming later in the month though.

1 Like

Huh! I liked Midsommar more than Hereditary. Haven’t yet seen Beau.

@eyebooger Seems like a number of the big Hitchcock movies can be watched in full and in high quality on YouTube for free (and ad-free, it appears) right now. Specifically, Rear Window, Vertigo, Rebecca, and The Birds are there. Psycho, Rope, and Strangers on a Train are still behind a pay wall.

Rear Window is the easiest and surest Hitchcock entry point in the absence of Psycho IMO.

2 Likes