Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

If for some reason you are interested in watching a Spinal Tap remake, “Metallica: Some Kind of Monster” is available on Netflix right now. Very strong reccomendation.

3 Likes

Here’s a piece of trivia about Outland:

When the director was asked by his producer when the movie was done what movie he wanted to make next, he said, ‘Outland’. The producer laughed and the director said he wasn’t joking. He seemed deeply unhappy with the finished movie and really wished he could have a do-over.

Two other pieces of trivia are that Frances’s son on Cheers was also in Outland and an important character from The Wire was an important character in this.

1 Like

https://screenrant.com/edgar-wright-running-man-stephen-king-movie-risk-reason/

Oh holy shit how did I miss this?

My favorite director is remaking one of my favorite schlocky bullshit 80s movies so that it more closely reflects one of my favorite Stephen King books?

3 Likes

Omg its a Bachmanaisance!

1 Like

Holy shit.

Take the worst, most phoned in Adam Sandler bullshit, and multiply it by a number nobody has even come up with yet.

Congrats, you now have Lady Ballers from The Daily Wire.

This is very exciting.

2 Likes
5 Likes

You Hurt My Feelings, released early in 2023, is small, thoroughly unambitious, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. While I’m also very happy to see bigger artistic swings, I’m happy to have movies like this as part of the overall film landscape.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus continues to add to a really enjoyable career in the lead role here. This is a reunion between JLD and director Nicole Holofcener, as they previously worked together on JLD’s collaboration with James Gandolfini, Enough Said. The film is essentially just an extended domestic squabble between spouses who both have a valid (or at least sympathetic and understandable) point, with a sprinkling of B-plots from side characters. Her husband in this movie is a therapist, most of those therapy scenes played for some level of comedy, and I enjoy all of them, particularly those involving David Cross.

I make no guarantee of anything earth-shattering here, but as an easily digestible and enjoyable 90-minute film, I do recommend it. At the very least, I certainly expect that everyone who enjoyed Enough Said would also enjoy this. Unfortunately it still doesn’t seem to be on any streaming services; I saw it available for $4 rental through Amazon and decided to go for it since I’d been waiting for it to turn up. It’s an A24 film, so it feels likely to eventually turn up on Hulu or Paramount.

This movie is a beauty if you get a chance to see it. We stumbled upon it in one NY’s theaters that shows lots of movies that are not too mainstream.

1 Like

New Godzilla cost something like 1/10th of a Marvel movie, lol Hollywood.

1 Like

Running Man needs a remake. Definitely jumped the shark with Schwarzenegger one-liners.

100 million dollar idea: ultraviolent harry potter prequel with keanu as snape and he uses a magic wand to explode bad guys’ heads in intensely-choreographed fight scenes

3 Likes

Not enough hearts in the world.

I watched Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny because it’s now on Disney plus. Pretty bad Indiana Jones movie. Maybe barely better than Crystel Skulls but not by much. The best part was the opening action with the de-aged Indy. The rest was kind of a sad slog.

On the other hand I watched Free Guy the other day after continously passing over it everytime I looked for a movie to watch and found it to be a pretty fun movie.

2 Likes

I watched Cobra last night for the first time since seeing it in the theaters as a teenager. What a batshit crazy movie. Clearly they were aiming for some kind of franchise like Rocky or Rambo. But the public was like nahhh, we’re good.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/1731000311764951282

2 Likes

Coincidentally, I’ve been reading this book and just finished it today. It’s pretty trendy, and is a nominee for the National Book Award for 2023.

This book is basically a 2023 version of Running Man. It’s the kind of Black Mirror style “near future” where the prison system includes a gladiator style combat system that is packaged as an NFL style spectator sport. I’d rather see film makers take on something like this - a more race aware and modern take on some of the themes of Running Man - rather than a direct remake based on a 40 year old novel by Stephen King. I’ve got nothing against King, but it is nice to get a perspective on the failures of the justice systesm from a 30 year old black writer in 2023 whose dad was a defense attorney.

1 Like

This one’s for the indie/arthouse crowd: