Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

https://x.com/DavidToons_/status/1722029049474679017?s=20

1 Like

On the latest Big Picture (primarily about Priscilla), Sean and Amanda did both take a moment to give proper credit to Hitchcockā€™s Rebecca; I believe Sean called it ā€œHitchcockā€™s masterpiece.ā€ Having finally gotten around to Rebecca, itā€™s pretty surprising to me how little attention is paid to it compared to other Hitchcock classics. It wasnā€™t slept on in the moment - itā€™s the only Hitchcock to win Best Picture - but today it almost seems to be a deeper cut when people reference it. Itā€™s definitely right at or on the level of the very best stuff Hitchcock produced, and thereā€™s really nothing about it that has aged poorly. Only thing about it that really makes sense to me is that Hitchcock had a bunch of films headlined by Jimmy Stewart or Cary Grant, and Rebecca doesnā€™t have the same sort of legendary star to highlight it as something people need to watch. Laurence Olivier is a big name, but I donā€™t think he commands the same level of loyalty from todayā€™s fans of the classics.

Anyway, if youā€™re a Hitchcock fan who hasnā€™t seen Rebecca, put it on the short list IMO. For some reason itā€™s unstreamable through the usual channels even as a rental right now, but surprisingly you can actually just access it on YouTube in full for free. I jumped around a bit in the video and it seems to be perfectly high-quality too.

2 Likes

Being written by Derek Connelly, known for Jurassic World (ugh) and Detective Pikachu (oh?).

Itā€™s wild that Gloria Swanson, Myrna Loy, and Erik Estrada were all in the same movie once.

Thanks for the replies on the Halloween movies. I think Iā€™ll watch them all (not rushing it).

The opening credits are definitely the best part of the movie.

lolā€™d when this starts again with a pair of doctors preparing Michael Myers for an ambulance transfer ā€œā€¦but it might work for usā€

The rest had some good moments but felt a bit low-energy tbh.

The ending was good though (especially Loomisā€™ reaction to it), and has me looking forwards to the next

:smiley:

1 Like

As they say, letā€™s fucking go.

Also, if you can, play the trailer on a big TV with good sound.

4 Likes

Donā€™t know if it will be a good movie, but thatā€™s a fun trailer

2 Likes

That looks fun!!! Like a Ghostbusters meets Final Destination story.

I thought Afterlife was good and Jason Reitman did a nice job of paying homage to the originals while making something fun for modern audiences. Looks like heā€™s not directing on this but co-wrote it so Iā€™m hopeful.

Also, things like this are cool imo

2 Likes

Itā€™s on Pluto now.

1 Like

Maron had nearly wrapped up the hour-plus conversation when he popped an essential question to Adler that led to a quick Nicholson nugget of his own.

ā€œA friend of mine wanted to put him in a movie,ā€ Maron said after asking Adler how Nicholson was doing. ā€œAnd he had a conversation with him. But Jack says, ā€˜I donā€™t want to do it.ā€™ He goes, ā€˜You know what I did today? I sat under a tree and I read a book.ā€™ā€

2 Likes

Just hit play. I appreciate you buddy.

1 Like

Awesome. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

1 Like

The opening scene at the bar about M Butterfly and men pretending to be women is offensive beyond words.

But much like the character responding to his friendā€™s reaction, Iā€™m still watching.

I admit Iā€™d forgotten all about that. Thatā€™s a regrettable bit. Hopefully the rest is an improvement.

1 Like

Much better so far! Not unforgivable. Iā€™ve said (and published) some offensive stuff in my time too.

1 Like

Didnā€™t take long for the laughs to start coming. Clever and heartwarming. I really wasnā€™t sure until the credits tho whether the ending would suddenly flip what seemed like a happy ending into dramatic irony.

Albert Brooks movies strike me as what if Woody Allen werenā€™t a total piece of shit. He may have even hit it bigger if heā€™d gone for a few that were higher concept, but even a movie whose premise is about a supernatural muse helping him out turns into people sitting around a kitchen table.

1 Like

Glad it landed. Should be a good appetizer for the Brooks documentary dropping this weekend.

Not the funniest line in the film, but I think the line I most commonly lift from it is, ā€œStop! Itā€™s like Fantasia!ā€ Usually fits best in a work setting when Iā€™m getting bombarded.

The videophone stuff does seem quaint as hell these days.

1 Like

Lol the videophone was so weird. How far and yet how far we have not come.

I am hyped to see the documentary now.

I didnā€™t even find the early bar joke to be a default slight against him. We were all struggling to find the concepts and language back then. We still are!

I loved him discovering his motherā€™s humanity through her secret creative losses and failures, and how that freed him to release so much shame and resentment.

I gotta roll the ending around in my head. I mean he played Mrs Robinson over the credits, and he seems too deliberate for that to not be a thematic punctuation.

This was honestly a delight. Reviews first for the trailer and then the movie were cruel beyond belief. I think they must have forgotten the childlike joy that made the original fantasy musical such a delight.

Thereā€™s not a whole lot new here. The plot is a retelling of the best parts of the 1971 classic, but told from the POV of Tom and Jerry. And from that comes what I consider to be a bunch of improvements.

Imagine the 1971 classic, but instead of having to sit through the bad parts, eg ā€œCheer Up Charlie,ā€ the film instead seamlessly integrates Tom and Jerry in a side quest that ties back into the main plot as soon as the bad scene is over.

Thereā€™s even a few subtle improvements, such as T&J stealing a box of Wonka bars from a brutish delivery dog, and then instead of taking the easy way out and unboxing the lot, Charlie insists they return the box because stealing is bad. Thatā€™s a good moral lesson in a fun scene.

I would suggest showing this to kids who are too young to see the 1971 version, which does have a few disturbing/scary parts even for adults. But this is playful. Full of nostalgia for the best parts of the 1971 version, with lots to entertain kids or adults if this is their first time encountering Wonka.