Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Bro, you should see Dune.

1 Like

Amid all this talk about ā€œcoolā€ movies like Oppenheimer and Killers of the Flower Moon, I went to see Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour yesterday with my wife and daughter. As an opportunity to listen to almost 3 hours of Taylor Swift music, it was pretty good. (Legitimately. I think a lot of her songs are great.) But as a concert movie, itā€™s not very entertaining. Thereā€™s no behind-the-scenes footage or planning or really anything else interesting. And although the overall concert is a spectacle and impressive, TSwift isnā€™t really that dynamic a performer.

So really, this seems like a movie aimed at people who are disappointed they werenā€™t able to see the tour in person, and probably no one else.

2023 has been a really weird movie year for me, in that there a bunch of releases I really look(ed) forward to seeing, but the only movies Iā€™ve actually seen in the theater are:

• Across the Spiderverse
  • Barbie
  • Taylor Swift

(None of these were in the ā€œreally look(ed) forward to seeingā€ category)

2 Likes

Too much implied apology language embedded; Taylor Swift is excellent.

1 Like

Yah billing it as ā€œthe next best thing to seeing her live concertā€ is the easiest sell of all time. Iā€™m hoping for a lot from VR for this kind of thing, eg multiple ā€œpositionsā€ for the VR viewer, including front row or even on stage with the performers as a passive viewer.

I will. And I plan to watch it with the lights turned off, as the guy emphatically advised.

1 Like

No Hard Feelings was amazing.

I rewatched the first part of So I Married An Axe Murderer after it popped up on The Rewatchables recently. Still holds up as pretty funny (and The Rewatchables episode is very good). But what stuck out to me this time was this absolute lunatic at the butcher shop (2:43 into the clip if it doesnā€™t autoload):

He wants a New York strip steak A QUARTER INCH THICK. WTF?

1 Like

The modern world holds many secrets, but the most astounding secret of all is that witches still live amongst us; vicious supernatural creatures intent on unleashing the Black Death upon the world. Armies of witch hunters battled the unnatural enemy across the globe for centuries, including Kaulder, a valiant warrior who managed to slay the all-powerful Queen Witch, decimating her followers in the process. In the moments right before her death, the Queen curses Kaulder with her own immortality, forever separating him from his beloved wife and daughter in the afterlife. Today Kaulder is the only one of his kind remaining, and has spent centuries hunting down rogue witches, all the while yearning for his long-lost loved ones. However, unbeknownst to Kaulder, the Queen Witch is resurrected and seeks revenge on her killer causing an epic battle that will determine the survival of the human race.

Vin Diesel had been a Dungeons and Dragons player for many years (he taught Dame Judi Dench to play on the set of The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)). The main character in this movie was partly based on his old Dungeons and Dragons character (Melkor) who was a Witch Hunter. He used one of the third party Dungeons and Dragons books to create the character class, as he loved being a Ranger type, but also like to use a few spells too.

Who the **** didnā€™t like this movie? The negative reviews are absurd. One calls it ponderous. Lol! The movie moves at a breakneck speed.

It does one of my favorite tricks for exposition. From the opening scene, the story puts the characters in a puzzle box crisis that requires them to articulate the world building as part of finding a solution. I call it the Michael Crichton Method.

This may as well be set in the same universe as the Keanu Reeves led Constantine, and the only reason itā€™s not that movieā€™s equal is because this one stars Vin Diesel instead of Keanu.

But you know what? Dieselā€™s helper is played by Elijah Wood, whereas Constantineā€™s was played by Shia LeBOOF, so you know what? It all evens out to make The Last Witch Hunter equal to Constantine.

Fire it up for free on Tubi.

https://twitter.com/DevonESawa/status/1716604832243646753

3 Likes

Lollllllllllll

Devon will always be my Casper :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ok Iā€™m dumb. I donā€™t get it.

He was the main character in Final Destination

1 Like

Oh thanks. I have not seen any of those.

Just puffing up the reference. On a personal note, he also talks about coming out of the other side of addiction recovery. Devon is a real one.

Oh dude, youre missing out.

Theyre awful, but a ton of fun. Except the 4th one.

Dont watch the 4th one.

2 Likes

Old Dads on Netflix. Directed, written and starring Bill Burr.

This stunk, we almost didnā€™t finish it which is something I rarely do. Basically a 90 minute standup routine turned into a movie about everything boomers complain about.

True true lol. Part 5 was a return to form.

Some folks from the most recent Scream are behind part 6, so I am incredibly excited for them to bring a fresh take to the whole thing.

Jeffrey Reddick (the creator of FD) said this gymnastics scene is the scene that freaked him out.

Yeah the gymnast scene is incredibly tense. 5th movie is great.

Is that Radio Silence doing the 6th? Cause they make some great shit

1 Like

Iā€™m not much of a ā€œso bad theyā€™re goodā€ guy. Never understood that whole vibe.

Iā€™ve seen a ton of meme about these movies though. Especially the logging truck.

1 Like

To be clear it isnt ā€œso bad its goodā€ territory. We arent talking about The Room here. Acting is generally pretty good and the films are competently made (except 4, dont watch 4) but when I say awful, I mean the concept is awesome and becomes a bit repetitive before coming back around to pretty great in the fifth movie.

Its shlock, but super fun shlock with some great set pieces. That one you mentioned with the logging truck is just the tip of the iceberg of that scene. And for the best scenes in each movie, there is some incredible tension, like the gymnast scene posted upthread which concludes in the best way.

I think the enjoyment of the movies can come down to a few things. 1. Do you like amazing set pieces that have really fun payoffs and you arent bothered by occasional overexposition and inane dialogue? Or 2. Do you appreciate some pretty good acting in a ridiculous universe full of rules that dont make a ton of sense but also appreciate some solid horror FX and makeup? Either of those would lead to a positive experience with the FD films.

Except for 4.

Dont watch 4

4 Likes