Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Lauren Boebert can’t wait!

3 Likes

How is Beetlejuice 2 not titled “Beetlejuice Beetlejuice”?

8 Likes

Because they don’t know if they’ll get to make a third one yet

2 Likes

While Band of Brothers glorified war to a certain extent, I feel like The Pacific miniseries didn’t glorify war at all or at the very least least portrayed it as a much worse terrible, miserable experience.

1 Like

Also kinda feel like you’d need to be a unique individual to feel like Saving Private Ryan was glorifying war. The deaths in that final string of scenes still haunt me.

Starship Troopers definitely a pick @ctr123, but I fear many people miss that it’s a satire.

Saving Private Ryan is about a group of men who band to gather (as brothers one might say) to accomplish a mission. These men transcend their mundane domestic existences to become soldiers dedicated to a cause and whose target must live a good life to honor their sacrifice on his behalf. It’s also got the requisite liberal pussy who betrays True Americans.

1 Like

Okay but enough about Inglorious Basterds :grin:

I hear you. And yet I would not say SPR in any way motivates people to go to war. Whereas watching Inglorious Basterds is all about the euphoria of killin’ Natsees.

1 Like

[quote=“RiskyFlush, post:949, topic:10443, full:true”] Whereas watching Inglorious Basterds is all about the euphoria of killin’ Natsees.
[/quote]

2 Likes

Earlier this week, I did something that there is little precedent for me doing: I watched a movie a third time after disliking it both of the first two times. Usually two strikes is absolutely it, and I often feel silly for having expected something to improve on second go. But I’ve been tortured for 20 years over the fact that Vertigo just didn’t seem to land at all for me while the rest of the world happily agrees that it’s an all-time classic of cinema. Jimmy Stewart and Alfred Hitchcock collaborate on a movie that many contend is the GOAT, and I’m left shrugging and saying, “Rope was better.” It has never sat right. My most recent attempt to watch it was probably 15 years ago, and I am at all times an evolving film-watcher, so I figured that now was the time to sigh heavily and give it one more go.

I’m happy to report that it landed this time. It is visually stunning, the story is well-crafted, Jimmy Stewart is unimpeachable as the lead…there are really no significant flaws to this movie. I’m honestly a bit confused as to why this didn’t work at all for me before. I think I must have gotten lost or something? That would at least make sense to me, but I’m surprised I wouldn’t have filed that part of my disapproval away. I hereby confer it “better than Rope” status, but Rope is still really good.

(I’m still not moved to rewatch A Clockwork Orange.)

5 Likes

Now do Rear Window and The Man Who Knew Too Much

1 Like

Rear Window was a five-star classic for me from the first watch. Will definitely rewatch (and have actually been meaning to do so soon), but it has nothing to prove to me. It’s probably in my top five favorites of all time.

The Man Who Knew Too Much was good, but I don’t have it in my Hitchcock top five (have only seen it once though). I’ve put in for library copies of Rebecca and Strangers on a Train, since those are the biggest Hitchcock movies I haven’t seen.

I suppose I do owe The Birds a second go sometime now too, since that’s another one that was just a total miss for me on first go.

Rope was pretty dope, tho.

2 Likes

Definitely is. The extended single-takes are something to behold.

WOOOOOOOOO congrats, and welcome to the world! I still really really enjoy Rope, but Vertigo is better in m eyes.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1710407507326140733?t=DH-V2VvL9MQ_hubq3JNoiQ&s=19

:vince:

2 Likes

Oh man, Del Toro is going to make a movie about a misunderstood monster?

ShockedPikachu.jpg

1 Like

giphy

2 Likes

That cast is amazing, the Universal Horror cinematic universe is back, baby.

1 Like

OK but of Garfield Isaac Waltz which one plays the Doctor, the Monster, and Igor? :thinking: