Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Absolutely loved the first one. Hated the second one like it ran over my dog. Discontinued further viewership from there.

To be clear, my stance on EEAAO is not a truly negative one, as I can’t imagine endorsing giving a Best Picture award to a movie I actively disliked. I just felt like it failed to keep my strong interest for the full duration.

1 Like

This movie looks incredible:

https://twitter.com/andersleehere/status/1688714819493392384?s=20

Whenever you see a Carradine in a movie you know you’re going to have a fun time.

1 Like

I watched EEAAO on an 11 hour plane ride. I liked it but am 100% sure that the deeper elements didn’t hit me like they would have in a different setting. Will definitely watch again at some point.

I enjoyed my first watch and felt it was a potential BP nom. Second watch upped from enjoyed to loved, and was pretty sure it would win unless some surprise came out of nowhere

1 Like

I would watch it on streaming but it’s on showtime. Pfft.

I definitely think people lost some of the impact of EEAAO if they didn’t see it in a theater.

Maybe it’s my setup, but I’ve never really enjoyed a movie on an airplane. It could also be that if it is something I really want to see, I am not going to wait until a plane trip happens. So the fact that I am even watching it on a plane, means is is not top tier for me going in.

This is a great guilty pleasure type movie.

I hear you. I think it is good to be able to separate the significance of something as a work of art vs what’s just not to your taste. Though you can end up enthusiastically recommending things people then don’t understand why you never want to watch.

An example for me. Everything I read about The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart says it would be a masterpiece for me on the level of The English, but holy crap did I feel bored.

Watched EEAAO on a plane and absolutely loved it.

2 Likes

spider-man: across the spider-verse

I hate giving a rating to the middle of a trilogy. Especially when the end of the trilogy will ultimately decide my final grade.

But I have complete faith in Lord and Miller crushing the third film.

9.5/10 if somehow Lord and Miller doesn’t crush the third film

10/10 if they do crush it, and my expectations for Spiderverse 3 are impossibly high

4 Likes

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

7/10

It was ok. Seth Rogan was a writer and he specific writing tics that you recognize when you hear them. They’re about 50% funny 50% annoying. Plus though that the movie treats the turtles as teenagers. They’re dumb, stupid, funny, and goofy like teenage boys are and not serious superheroes who goof off one scene as a nod that they’re supposed to be teenagers.

Girl With All The Gifts

8/10

A interesting zombie movie in the vein of The Last of Us with some twists.

2 + 2

7/10

An Argentine erotic comedy about two couples who swing. Usually these movies are just excuses from some nudity but this was recommended as a serious film. And it clears that low bar to being an ok film. Adrián Suar does good as a uptight and neurotic doctor and Julieta Díaz does good as his bombshell more free spirited wife. The Argentine accent is always good to hear too

2 Likes

I took kids to turtles Saturday and I liked it a lot as well as them, nothing special but it was good

This commercial is as good/funny as peak Arnold movies :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Working on a Mission: Impossible binge-watch so that I can hammer out a theater viewing of Dead Reckoning Part One this weekend. I’m guessing there’s very little danger of it leaving the theater by next weekend, but let’s not chance it since the theater otherwise looks bone dry for me (was going to go to Demeter but the early RT rating scared me off; not too interested in Talk to Me).

4 > 1 >> 3 >> 2 so far. 5 is off to kind of a nothing start through the first 1/3, but here’s hoping.

1 Like

This is fair but MI5 has my favorite MI scene of all time. You’ll know it when you’re at the opera house.

If you already passed that scene then wtf lol

1 Like

This is the sequence I had just finished and paused the movie on when I logged in to post my verbal shrug.

Strangely less optimistic now about the possibility of it getting better…

Ethan scaling the building in M:I 4 is probably my favorite scene so far even though I get irrationally over-the-top anxious when watching movie characters deal with dangerous heights.

Apropos of nothing: I don’t particularly like Simon Pegg in this recurring role.

To be fair: the opera scene beat the hell out of the sequence where Pegg is trying to hack the plane’s controls to keep it from taking off. “EVERYTHING IS ENCRYPTED AND LOCKED DOWN! I’VE TRIED TO SHUT DOWN EVERY PART!” “Hmm, but could you remotely throw the airplane doors open mid-flight?” “Oh, sure, I could probably do that. Gimme a sec.”

1 Like

Okay wow you didn’t like the opera scene

https://media.tenor.com/H1nzCkLegpMAAAAd/baby-mission-impossible.gif

4 Likes

Southern Comfort (1981)

Right upfront I’ll say there’s a graphic depiction of pigs getting slaughtered in this film that seemed gratuitous and upsetting. If you can get past that, this is a gem of a forgotten movie. A band of poorly equipped/trained National Guardsmen run afoul of backwoods Cajun folk deep in Louisiana and find themselves descending into a Vietnam allegory that’s much smarter and more competently made than you’d expect. With Ry Cooder providing an authentic deep country soundtrack.

It’s free on YouTube and probably Tubi has it.

2 Likes