Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Horror Candy is a collection of award winning short films that are sort of like miniature episodes of the Twilight Zone. They deliver sometimes predictable twists, but they’re all so short that I enjoyed them. They reminded me of Goosebumps books in that they’re all horror but also just a little goofy. Free on Tubi.

Hobbit movies seem to occupy a weird space in cinema. I’ve read the book, it’s quite short, I can’t get my mind around how they would have spawned three long movies from it, so I’ve skipped the movies out of skepticism. And I think it’s truly batting .000 when I ask people who’ve seen it whether it’s any good. But the rating aggregation sites always indicate a pretty positive rating, considering that it’s impossible to find someone who will actually defend them.

I guess maybe I’ll just try for myself one day, but it’s kind of impossible to find the will to do so.

https://x.com/mattyglesias/status/1840550307165548575?t=N9m0OuZYj0VlEZ_jOJIt6w&s=19

Seriously don’t bother. If you’ve read the book you’ll get nothing from the movies but rage. Maybe with some bewilderment sprinkled in. Mostly rage though.

1 Like

No reason to see them no matter how much you like the book. They aren’t faithful to the book, all of the added filler is terrible, it’s 100% a shameless money grab.

The Rankin-Bass animated Hobbit from the 70s absolutely slaps, however.

2 Likes

And that’s another good demonstration of my long-term confusion at it being a pretty well-rated film (at least the first one) on IMDb/Letterboxd/Rotten Tomatoes. This movie seems to have a fair number of at least soft fans and I simply can’t find them. It’s bizarre.

There needs to be one for music where one of the stages is: “Only into bands, not songs. There is no such thing as a good song by a bad band.”

Most of my friends are there.

Thinking about Kris Kristofferson yesterday I rewatched the John Sayles woke masterpiece Lone Star where he plays the racist sheriff. He was so memorable in that role I was surprised that he is only on screen for maybe 10 minutes. Anyway film holds up, free on Tubi, recommended.

Its awful. Adds nothing to the canon and shouldnt be watched. Lindsy Ellis’ three parter about how bad it is is the most you should ever have to watch about that trilogy

Kristofferson was a pretty strong actor. He’s good in a lot of stuff.

Movies like Megalopolis make me really miss Roger Ebert. There is no way in hell I am going to watch a movie that sounds frankly stupid, but I would have LOVED to read a Roger Ebert review of Megalopolis. His take downs of bad movies were hilarious.