Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Letterboxd lists horror as one of its genres. Granted I could end up being with you and disagree with that classification, but that’s why I keep hedging language with stuff like “horror and horror-adjacent.” There was definitely stuff on the “best horror” list that I’ve seen and made me go, “Huh? That’s horror?” Predator was on this list. So was Zombieland. The latter I guess I get since it has zombies, but c’mon, that movie is just a comedy.

But yeah, not everything on the list is a classic, just stuff that I’ve meant to get to that seemed to fit the coming month.

2 Likes

I watch the OG Nosferatu about once a year, one of the straight-up best horror movies.

1 Like

I sure hope it lands better for me than Vampyr. I watched that one last October and was utterly bored. I thought stuff like original 1931 Frankenstein was great, but some of the oldies don’t hit at all for me.

1 Like

Nosferatu never worked for me for some reason (probably bc it’s 102 years old, that’s way too much for a horror movie).
I liked Vampyr well enough though (much younger movie ! only 92…which is still way too old for it to be “scary” but it definitely has a few cool visuals)

1 Like

Huge Popcorn Classics fan here, this is really a bittersweet moment in the show. Feels like Gregg was really on the cusp of something great and, as usual, Tim doesn’t even realize what he has going for him. Missed opportunity imo.

1 Like

:vince2:

Holy Moly you’ve got some good ones there. Hell yeah. Watching scary movies in October is so awesome. My streaming is basically exclusively horror content once the calendar hits Oct 1st.

3 Likes

https://x.com/Schl0tterbeck/status/1839665397500375301

2 Likes

Filmcrithulk has a good essay on Megalopolis and the general thrust of FFC’s career.

For all this, it would be great if Megalopolis was at least a stylish triumph, but its digital-ness often feels garish, flat, and plain-faced, and rarely making great use of the lavish set work. With all the money that went into the Ancient Rome-ification of New York, I just can’t help but think about how much better Julie Taymor did all of this in 1999’s Titus.

The truth is I could go on and on and on about whatever failings because it’s an easy work to dunk on. But dunking on it is not just unproductive, it doesn’t quite feel like the ultimate point. Because for all the failure, I do not begrudge the existence of this film. As it is actually these failures that make it more of a singular object. And in my own reaction, there’s more of a folksy, midwestern “oh, god bless ya” sentiment to an old, kooky, archaic film legend who wanted to take one last wild swing at some crazy artistic gamble before the end comes for us all and we disappear into nothingness. And I would argue that’s very much okay. Not just because it’s on par with the wild swings of his career, but because, as I said at the top, art can exist for its own sake. And while perhaps no film tests that theory more than this one…

… the testing is what proves it so.

Side note, I forgot FFC made Jack. Forgetting the Cosby cameo, that’s a pretty good movie.

2 Likes

I like that. Unlike, say, Deadpool 3, I have no desire to really dunk on this film. I’ll still call it what I saw it as, obviously, but I take no pleasure in its artistic failure nor the fact that it looks like it’s going to take a pretty huge bath at the box office. Unfortunately it was just a bad time. But I like that piece a lot more than I like the gleeful dunking.

2 Likes

I was already leaning toward passing on Wolfs, but I think this well-executed rant may sufficiently lock that result in.

https://x.com/thebigpic/status/1839749388035383314?s=46

1 Like

vaxxed?

1 Like

The Verdict (1982)

For some reason, this movie really didn’t work for me on first go a number of years ago. I’m left to shrug and theorize that the friends I watched with were buzzkills that caused my negative reaction, because the movie is great and it warrants its reputation as another really strong entry on Sidney Lumet’s resume.

Look: it’s definitely not a perfect movie. It is rare that I let myself get too hung up on incoherent applications of how the law works (though I admittedly feel like I’ve said this with increased regularity recently), in many cases I can watch movies play fast and loose with the legal system and never bat an eye…but this movie really pushes it. I’ll save the keystrokes that could go toward specific nitpicks and simply say that a number of things about the case we see unfold were unrealistic to a distracting extent.

But I can get past that when the other components of this story make up for it, and in this movie they absolutely do. The Paul Newman performance is great; the character is layered, and it’s fascinating to watch his arc. Each act of the story is well-constructed, even if certain zigs and zags require some stretches of legal reality in order to play out. Really engrossing movie overall. I’m glad I came around on this one so that I could appreciate Sidney Lumet’s catalog even more.

4/5

4 Likes

At Megalopolis, about 5 people in theater.

Review of Megalopolis from a philosophy professor.

Brendan Myers · ·

Bren’s review of Megalopolis (2024, dir. Francis Ford Coppola.)

I’ll start by stating the obvious: this film is a dreamscape. Symbols abound in the actor’s gestures, in the set and costume design, in the colour palette, in the special effects. Every word of dialogue has at least two meanings: subtext, irony, and hidden agendas abound in every conversation. Everybody shows one face to one group of people, and another face to others. Surreal imagery, and non-sequitur editing, might leave some viewers bewildered.

But as I’ve been sitting with my thoughts and feelings about it for the last two hours, I think this film is an astonishing work of heart.

The core conflict is a three-way struggle, symbolized by the triangular windows in our protagonist’s workshop. In one corner there’s Caesar Catalina, an architect, and inventor of a science-fictional building material called Megalon. He represents a will to progress, to change, to imagine, to the future. In a second corner there’s the mayor of the city, Franklin Cicero, who represents a will to conserve things, to resist change, to keep things as they are. And in the third corner there’s Clodio Pulcher, a “rich kid”, the heir apparent to a banking dynasty, representing a will to destroy— so long as the destruction is fun for him to watch, and so long as he can protect himself from the consequences.

Creation, preservation, and destruction— three archetypes, three forces, three points of view, with which to craft a conversation about the nature of civilization itself.

But it would be all too easy to say these three forces are locked in epic struggle against each other. For these three forces are also implicated in each other: Catalina’s lover is the daughter of mayor Cicero, and Clodio is Catalina’s cousin. The conversation that the film calls for is complicated, difficult, uncomfortable, even metaphysical. No one here is morally pure. Not even Catalina. But by the same token, no one is excluded from the conversation either. Not even the villains.

It’s clear what the film denounces: consumerism, corruption, and greed. Less clear is what it affirms. For in the place of affirmations, the film poses questions: hard questions, smart questions, but also obscure questions. Sometimes it puts the questions with subtlety. In the Colluseum sequence, we witness a teenage pop star auctioning off her virginity to the highest bidder. And we see Clodio causing a massive public scandal, in part to destroy his cousin’s reputation, but in part because he thinks it’s fun. The whole sequence invites us to ask “Is this us? Are we really that decadent, that hateful, that self-absorbed, and that ridiculous? Are we Rome?”

Catalina’s unexplained ability to pause time itself is another symbol. While everyone around him chases the next thrill or the next power-grab, he’s the one who stops to think. He’s the one holding himself back from falling off a precipice— quite literally.

(Though I also wonder if this is Coppola’s way of saying that at 85 years old he’s running out of time to say all the things he wants to say. And as an aside, although I’m only 50, I know exactly what that’s like.)

In other cases the film poses its questions right in your face. In one scene Catalina asks if the way we’re living now is the only way available to us; in another, he proclaims to a crowd “We’re in need of a great debate about the future!” This is the thesis of the film. This idea of questioning is so bound to the DNA of this film that the characters themselves debate what questions can be asked and whether it’s not the right time to ask them.

And what do we get for answers? None, really; The movie is so packed with big questions that it doesn’t finish expressing one question before it rushes off to the next. It’s a movie that feels no special need to explain itself. It doesn’t care if you don’t understand it. And while I rather prefer films that try to answer their questions, still I think I get what Coppola’s trying to do here. He wants to start a conversation about the future that nobody right now wants to have. We live in cynical times. Misanthropy is fashionable. We prefer easy answers, like we prefer easy-to-understand movies. And we find it hard to think philosophical thoughts without turning them into memes, or declaring the thinkers themselves are assholes.

It’s also a dark movie. We see people deceive and manipulate each other in thoroughly shocking ways. There are some on-the-nose symbols to tell us who the bad dues are. But here’s the irony: the film’s shock moments are not nearly as shocking as what you might read in the news in any given week. Some of them were pulled straight from the headlines and pasted into the screenplay. Including the virginity auction. I get the impression that Coppola is angry about the state of our world. He’s angry that we’ve let it come to this.

But it’s also an optimistic movie. The Megalopolis of the film, the experimental city Catalina wants to build with his Megalon, is simply a place where people can ask questions together— also, where people can create things together, play together, and raise families. It ends on New Year’s eve, as Catalina’s Megalopolis opens to the public. This film looks humanity’s darkness in the eye but refuses to retreat into cynicism and misanthropy. It demands that we think better of humanity, better of being human.

In times like ours, I think it is incumbent upon artists to remind us that we can be better. Even to insist upon it. As Megalopolis does.

Though you have to sort through the surrealism to get it.

tl;dr - it insists upon itself

3 Likes

Lee (2024)

A biography of WWII war photographer played by Kate Winslet I didn’t like this much. The tone seems off for the entire film and never seems to take the gravity of its topic seriously. In a world with Zone of Interest, Schindlers List and Saving Private Ryan you just dont get to half ass WWII and the holocaust.

It’s like a 1960s ware movie when you couldn’t show anything.

It also tried for a twist ending that is utterly ill conceived.

Grade: C

Didn’t read the whole review, but agree somewhat. I give it an 8/10. I would liken it, to me, to Nirvana’s bleach–a work of force and purity, but not always clean and I more than sometimes think the perspective is a bit wrongheaded.

However, Megalopolis is one of the few post-Trump movies that actually sticks some real knives into Trump and Trumpism, as represented by LeBouf, and the world that can give rise to such ignominy. (Ten years ago I expected more art that takes effective aim at Trump and America.) In general, I like and agree with the film’s universalist (anti-American in the jingoistic sense) orientation, as reflected in the text at the end. I don’t think FFC is particularly deep philosophically (just a normal, smart guy), but he’s lived a lot and seen a lot from high places while retaining some commitment to truth. I also think it was interesting how he focused on time, with the now being but one instantiation of reality, and the “mystery” of time.

In general, I have a dislike for flaccid comparisons of the US to Rome, in that they are generally shallow, ill-informed about Roman (and US, and world) history, and usually promoted by dumb right-wingers, but I think FFC at least earns the right to the analogy through its scope, depth, and how well-informed it is. FFC is a guy who has actually thought quite a bit about Rome (but the film does not even glance toward addressing the complex, myriad factors that led to Rome’s fall–most notably civil wars from the lack of a stable system for orderly transition of power. The “decadence” is mostly pretty wallpaper covering a rotten political system, a symptom rather than a cause).

1 Like

Reddit r/movies poll results.

2 Likes

He’s kind of denied it in an interview I read but I think a common reading of Megalopolis will be that Adam Driver is representing Coppola himself.

But I think a much better interpretation is that Coppola is Jon Voight’s character, which means that what he’s trying to tell us is that the only way the world can progress is by recognizing the genius of his nephew

5 Likes

Watched Runaway Jury for the first time since it came out in 2003. Incredible cast (John Cusack, Gene Hackman, Rachel Weisz, Dustin Hoffman, Bruce McGill, and more). Really enjoyed it, but the plot just seemed a little silly in 2024. A mass shooting results in a lawsuit where the “gun industry” is the defendant. There’s talk in one of the courtroom scenes about how these types of tragedies will continue and ugh, nailed it.

2 Likes

It was silly when it came out