Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Fargo also has a young Melissa Peterman:

1 Like

This would mean more to me if I knew who old Melissa Peterman was. Should I?

Rewatching Pulp Fiction, man Tarantinoā€™s shtick gets exhausting some times but this is such a masterpiece of film-making itā€™s hard to argue with it.

5 Likes

They really have never just decided this through screen time. McDormand is the main protagonist of the movie. Macy is the buffoon who propels the plot forward. I struggle to think of parts like that really getting into lead acting consideration at the awards. Feels like it almost all concentrates toward main heroes or villains.

1 Like

Yes

David Thewlisā€™ season 3 villain is my favorite part of any season, but I agree with the consensus that 1 and 2 are better overall.

I loved the shit out of season 1. Iā€™m a big fan of good TV shows that take a movie and expand on little moments to draw the runtime out for a full season.

Another one that knocked it out of the park is season one of From Dusk Til Dawn.

And no two novels in Kingā€™s bibliography are stupider than 1987ā€™s ā€œThe Tommyknockersā€ and 2001ā€™s ā€œDreamcatcher.ā€ Both are about invading aliens, and both are possessed of nonsensical premises. Indeed, the latter feels like a whacked-out drug trip, and it because King was hopped up on painkillers when he wrote it (he was recovering from a terrible van accident).

It doesnt mention that Tommyknockers was also written when he was at his most drugged out (this time by choice.)

I think heā€™s mentioned that he did so much cocaine while writing The Tommyknockers that it kickstarted him into sobriety.

Yeah, here it is.

ā€œIn an interview with Rolling Stone, King acknowledged that the quality of his writing suffered during his period of drug use, saying ā€œThe Tommyknockers is an awful book. That was the last one I wrote before I cleaned up my act.ā€ā€

1 Like

Thereā€™s some books he doesnā€™t even remember writing. Dude was on bender after bender. I think it was in On Writing that he said at one point he was sitting over the typewriter with tissue plugging his bleeding nostrils. Iā€™m glad his family helped him get clean.

Maybe Iā€™m just not remembering any of the good ones, but it sure seems like his books suck whenever the reveal turns out to be aliens.

IT didnā€™t suck with that reveal but it might be the only one

1 Like

Was that an alien reveal?? I havenā€™t actually read the book but understood from the Dark Tower tie-in references that the monster was a demon from Mid-World.

Pretty sure it was considered an alien. Was it written before or after Dark Tower? IT is a great book overall. You should check IT out.

1 Like

Depends on how you look at it. The first Dark Tower book was on published in 1982. IT was published in 1986. But King didnā€™t begin to make the connection between them clear until he continued Dark Tower in 1987.

I checked IT out from the library recently but got daunted by the length. I wish the audiobook edition would come in. Nothing better for those long bus rides.

Iā€™d call Pennywise an alien, they came from some other universe right? Like a todash monster or something

1 Like

According to the vision in the smoke hut, Pennywise came from an asteroid that impacted the earth (possibly the same one that killed fhe dinosaurs.)

Its possible that this event actually created Todash space, but that hasnt been confirmed anywhere yet.

Heads up for movie fans, Clovisā€™ favorite sex romp of the last year, Challengers, has dropped on Prime.

1 Like

Count me in, religious horror with Hugh Grant as the main villain?

This is a day 1 for me I think. Got some pretty good buzz coming out of TIFF.

3 Likes

+1

1 Like

The Substance (2024)

Iā€™d really like to come in more positive on this movie, because I like where the aim was and I have objective appreciation for a big swing like this. But I would be lying if I pretended that this was a good viewing experience on my end.

The first hour or so is an awfully slow burn, with an underline on slow. As the rest of the movie unfolded, the length of this prolonged first act - up until the point at which the Elisabeth/Sue internal tension starts to really percolate - never feels like it pays off how much time is spent on that aspect. As such, the 2:20 run time simply feels bloated. When said internal tension does kick in, the movie really starts to cook for about 45 minutes or so. I thought this was going well enough that it would ultimately salvage the movie for me, but then the final act mostly lost me again.

Iā€™m admittedly more squeamish than most about gross-out stuff, so in many cases me complaining about excessive body horror might be something you can take with a grain of salt. However, this was SO over-the-top, and I canā€™t imagine that Iā€™m at all rare in struggling to deal with the excess of it. At some point I started wishing I could have just dealt with the way-too-long puking sequence from Triangle of Sadness instead of all of what this movie was putting me through. And while I do feel I could separate that from a high-quality movie that existed in spite of that, Iā€™m just not sure I see it here. I see some scattered elements that I really like, some things that Iā€™ll probably ponder a bit in the aftermath of this watch. But boy, it just doesnā€™t feel tied together for me in a coherent enough way to see the really strong movie that other people are apparently seeing.

Shrug. Itā€™s not without value, but I just didnā€™t like it very much. 2.5/5.

1 Like

https://x.com/SolaceCinema/status/1836794033294721339

guessing this is to me what MCU fans felt when Deadpool&Wolverine was announced ?

2 Likes