Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Despite the best efforts of Joaquin Phoenix, Lady Gaga, and an opening hour set in Arkham Asylum, Joker: Folie à Deux wastes its potential as a movie musical, a courtroom drama, and a sequel that has anything meaningful to say about or add to the first Joker.

The worst thing about Joker: Folie à Deux is its unfulfilled potential. It begins with the promise of a novel approach to the Joker and Harley Quinn, placing them in a world where the opposite of cruelty is musical romance. Unfortunately, the DC sequel gets bogged down by a lengthy courtroom saga, which not only keeps the dazzling Lady Gaga away from the spotlight, but centers the movie entirely around its own predecessor, without doing or saying anything new.

1 Like

I am shocked.

Shocked!

Well, not that shocked

2 Likes

The review actually makes it sound better than I thought it would be. But I’m still waiting to watch it until it’s on Tubi or something.

Yeah, I’ll catch it at home down the road. Can’t see myself going to the theater for it.

1 Like

Strangers on a Train (1951): Sometimes you gotta go back and watch Hitchcock just to remind yourself how crazy good he was. First half hour is some of his best work, with a deliciously evil psychopath who must have an inspiration for modern versions of The Joker.

Drags a bit in the middle, the plot fundamentally doesn’t work because Raymond Chandler gives zero fucks, that doesn’t matter, we stillget one of the best fight scenes I’ve seen in ages. You don’t get a ton of action/fight scenes in a Hitchcock movie, but he was damn good at building one out with the technology he had at the time.

2 Likes

Appalo 13 Survival (2024)

New documentary on Netflix about the ill-fated mission. I’ve seen the Hanks movie countless times and read many books and I still loved this. It’s arguably one of the most astounding moments in history.

Highly recommend.

Grade: A

1 Like

Piece of garbage MAGA first film spawns terrible sequel was smack dab in the free space of my bingo card.

1 Like

I was made to appreciate just how empty it is through the Blank Check podcast.

1 Like
5 Likes

Rip, we deserved so many more roles from that man.

2 Likes

We deserved a Street Fighter 2.

2 Likes

Fwiw there’s a badass animated movie free on Pluto. I watched the shit out of this as a teenager.

2 Likes

Goddamn I’ve been meaning to see this for ages, Pluto FTW.

1 Like

+1 watched it again recently on Prime. It’s so damn good. The Vega and Chun Li scene is bad ass

1 Like

You bitch, MY FACE

1 Like

IIRC, he was dying of cancer during filming and took the role because his kids loved the video games. Left it all on the field.

2 Likes

After rewatching the men who stare at goats, amazon autoplayed a movie i never heard of before called movie 43. Probably because it also had a lot of a-list stars in it.

It’s about a fictional movie that makes you want to claw your eyes out and kill yourself, and in that sense they nailed it. A comedy movie with zero laughs. Smarter movie studios have buried better movies just to realize losses for tax purposes. Shame on every actor in this movie, many of whom i very much enjoy. Shame. 0 bags of popcorn

1 Like

Since 1999 I’ve been carrying a blue pill in my pocket, holding onto it for the moment when I’d truly need it. The pill, I was told, would instantly erase the memory of any movie — but just the one movie, just the one time.

I was tempted to take that pill after “Freddy Got Fingered.” I had the pill in hand as I walked out of every other Adam Sandler movie of the last decade.

But I hung on to it, knowing something even worse was going to come my way one day.

Midway through “Movie 43,” I knew the day had come. As the credits rolled with the inevitable blooper scenes of actors breaking character and inexplicably laughing when nothing funny is going on, I swallowed that pill, hoping to erase instantly all mental images of what had just transpired.

It didn’t work. The !&$@*! thing didn’t work!

As the ads for “Movie 43” promised (threatened?), you can’t un-see this thing, so please: Stay away. Even if you might think that sitting through “Movie 43” would be an adventure along the lines of experiencing “Showgirls” or “Howard the Duck,” you’ll be filled with regret five minutes into this atrocity. There’s camp-fun bad and interestingly horrible bad, and then there’s just awful.

“Movie 43” is the “Citizen Kane” of awful.

2 Likes

This is a pretty strong example of why it’s not worth it to just watch stuff blind to all reviews or anything when good aggregate review sites (and bad ones, in the case of RT) are available at the click of a button. I know of Movie 43 specifically because of how aggressively dreadful its rep is.

2 Likes

wow how have I never heard of this

1 Like