Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I was torn on that. On the one hand, it was really snooty, on the other hand, it did make me notice the difference compared to most films I see, so in that way, I kind of appreciated it.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a fair reaction. I’ll say that my reaction to seeing that before the movie started was to furl my brow and wince at just how gauche that was, but then the movie was immediately propulsive enough that I forgot about it. Then I saw that review and went, “oh yeah, that happened. Fair play to beat them up for it.”

As with all self-important bragging, having the goods to back up the bragging goes a long way to lessen the impact.

2 Likes

The problem with saying you shot something on 35mm film is that a good cinematographer can make video look like 35mm film. That’s not really an interesting barrier of entry to movies anymore and was solved a long time ago. It’s just technically more difficult and expensive often for no reason. Shooting on film is way more limiting than video unless you really just want to do a very limited amount of takes at all times.

1 Like

Strongly disagree. I loved that. It’s also a way to explain to people why it looks so different than modern digital films.

So, for a decent while I’ve vaguely known of an upcoming Amy Adams movie named Nightbitch that was supposed to be a potential Oscars player. I knew nothing else.

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1831014842037145866?s=46

THAT is the premise? WTF.

2 Likes

Sounds amazing imo.

1 Like

Oh man, this does not look very good. Did they see she put on weight for the role and thought, “Welp, Brendan Fraser won an oscar for doing that, lets throw some buzz her way?”

But Brendan Fraser did it the traditional way: emotionally manipulating people through his character’s trauma.

I mean…I guess Emma Stone didn’t exactly follow a traditional character path to her second Oscar either just this past year, but still.

Ughh hard hard pass

3 Likes

The book has a pretty good rating.

1 Like

The closest thing I can possibly compare it too is indeed Franz Kafka’s 1915 masterpiece, The Metamorphosis, which also utilizes a human-to-creature transformation to much symbolic delight. By the end, Nightbitch—the character—becomes a complicated hero, the face of incredible possibility and deserving of our admiration, even as she evokes horror in everyone who’s been brainwashed by what the patriarchy says a woman should be.

Sounds awesome. LFG.

2 Likes

LFG!!!

2 Likes

Totally agree. The writer director also did Can you ever forgive me? And A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. Both awesome movies.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yup. I’m in. Sounds good to me.

Also, we caught Blink Twice and Strange Darling this week. The latter is one of my favourites of the year. Loved everything about it. Blink Twice is more of a 3/5 for me but I went in anticipating a four. It seemed like my kind of movie.

I like revenge themed movies but I want the revenge to start a little sooner. The middle section once they arrive at the island had a bit of a Ground Hog day feel to it - it just kept going on and on repeating the daily party routine. I get that Kravitz wanted to show the effect on the victims psyche of participating on the island for too long and becoming somewhat untethered from reality. I was losing interest towards the end of this section.

I would have preferred cutting 10 minutes from the island scenes and extending the revenge portion.

Overall a nice debut from Kravitz but could have worked more on the pacing.

2 Likes

Happy to have another Strange Darling devotee on board.

2 Likes

T’was damn good. Wife and I both loved it.

1 Like

Fuck, I gotta think about this

Man, if Juror No. 8 (Henry Fonda) is sharing the S-tier with anyone, it’s Juror No. 4 (E.G. Marshall). As far as I can tell, he was acting in entirely good faith the whole way.

Glad to see the fucking baseball fan in the bottom tier though. I always fear that the average viewer might not hate him as much as they should.

2 Likes