Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Looks fun. Is this part of a franchise where I have to know things to get the movie?

This is fanstastic, @Devil you might like it.

2 Likes

Murakami! At his best truly a genius, sometimes just weird. Definitely watching this one.

Anyone seen cold comfort farm? Had it in my movie backlog, havenā€™t heard anything about it except for what the internet tells me.

2 Likes

The Unhealer is not a good movie.

I repeat: The Unhealer is NOT a good movie.

Itā€™s a GREAT movie.

A bullied teenager gains the means to fight back when a botched faith healing bestows supernatural, shamanistic powers upon him. When his lifelong tormentors pull a prank that causes the death of someone he loves, the teen uses his newfound abilities for revenge and goes on a bloody rampage to settle the score.

This dark horror tale features performances from genre favorites Adam Beach, Branscombe Richmond, Natasha Henstridge, and Lance Henriksen. ā€œAny fan of classic Stephen King should definitely check out The Unhealerā€ (Joanna K. Neilson, Horror DNA)ā€¦ it unfolds with fun surprises and gore ā€œlike one of those shiny mid-career Wes Craven moviesā€ (Dark Eyes of London).

Perfect for fans of Chronicle (and the opening setup in the Power Rangers movie) who wish they had instead gotten a fully fledged B movie. Enter the movie with those script level expectations and thereā€™s no way you wonā€™t be entertained for 90 minutes.

https://tubitv.com/movies/639324?link-action=play&tracking=google-feed&utm_source=google-feed

Man, you REALLY know some deep cuts.

1 Like

Heh just always on the lookout for an unexpected pleasure that may not have gotten enough attention :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Watched the trailer for Dumb Money. Seth Rogan is on that wegovy

Richard linklater thoughts on cinema these days

multiple images so canā€™t really screenshot it

https://x.com/carolynmichelle/status/1699595922747826196?s=46

2 Likes

I got you fam.

And the article the quotes were taken from:

1 Like

Lol thereā€™s so many background gags in Bottoms. Marshawn Wallace telling his class to enact the Treaty of Versailles while hes obliviously reading a magazine and heā€™s got a card saying America on his desk

1 Like

The problem with his thinking is that a lot of things are done today in ā€˜indie cinemaā€™ that werenā€™t done then or couldnā€™t be done then either. I did work for one of his movies a few years ago and was really disappointed with how he shot it. His old stuff wasnā€™t like that, and I felt his shooting style that had a really video/almost play type look really took away from the movie. With his clout, he could have done something more impactful visually, but I donā€™t know why people choose to spend money the way they do in movies these days.

Numerous young filmmakers have access to making movies that would have never been made then, and get distribution, because there are so many places to distribute, which absolutely was not the case then. They might not make any money or get to cult classic status like his movies did, but stuff from that pipeline does make it there if itā€™s good enough, and these are all potentially launching pads to the next thing. Itā€™s just harder to find.

Thereā€™s also a new trend Iā€™m noticing where A-list type actors are beginning to appear in small but impactful roles in these types of movies. Those couldnā€™t be gotten not that long ago, and now thereā€™s apparently a formula rather than giant paydays that gets them interested in doing these types of movies. Itā€™s all and always will be a double-edged sword.

1 Like

Highlander has finally found a reboot director that has me very excited: Chad Stahelski.

Iā€™m giddy thinking about even the worst episode of Highlander being shot like a John Wick movie :popcorn:

Bottoms

8.5/10

Not as good as Superbad but itā€™s what you would get if you made Superbad about lesbian high schoolers and mixed in a heavy dose of The Simpsons surrealism.

I enjoyed it all the way though

1 Like

Hyped to see it.

Man oh man what a stupid character this was.

I thought Rocky Balboa was okay but not much more. I was really into it for the first act, watching through the franchise obviously gets you invested in Rocky and Adrianā€™s relationship, and watching him work through his pain over her dying pretty young was compellingā€¦but the rest? Ehhh. Tough to get into the boxing in this one. I put it about on par with Rocky II, where the non-boxing story was weak but the boxing part was great. Just flipping the strengths and weaknesses here.

I > III > IV > VI = II > V

I saw Creed once and really enjoyed it, Iā€™ll be watching it again before long (especially if it makes its way back onto a streaming service). Might enjoy it even more on second go now that Iā€™ve spent more time with the Rocky/Apollo relationship.

1 Like

The American President.

Sure it is not how the world is but it sure as hell is how I wish it was. Underrated Sorkin.

I love it unabashedly.

1 Like

Now I wanna know if you saw this one too

Gonna go with ā€œhad no idea that existed.ā€

1 Like

Doomed !: The Untold Story of Roger Cormanā€™s The Fantastic Four

Aw wow, this movie had so much more heart than I expected; hit me right in the feels. Visionary filmmaker Roger Corman made a Fantastic Four movie that to this day has never truly seen the light of day, this is the account of the people involved. Is there a Stan Lee cameo? Maybe!

1 Like

Itā€™s hard to overstate how excited little girl me felt when I first saw the trailer.

And then the movie just never came out LMAO