Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Oh man, if you think Scary Movie and Not Another Teen Movie are bad (and they are but there are some funny gags in each) dont ever watch any of the Seltzer-Berg movies. They are complete garbage from front to back with 0 total laughs.

1 Like

My favorite movie when I was a young teen was Kentucky Fried Movie. Boy oh boy talk about something that couldnā€™t (and shouldnā€™t!) be made now.

2 Likes

Haha I donā€™t blame anyone for not liking Scary Movie. I donā€™t usually like any of the movies lampooning other movies, especially Not Another and then the subsequent Scary Movie sequels. I think Scary Movie hit the right spot for me because it ended up making fun of Scream, though I read that this was actually a late addition in last minute rewrites.

Canā€™t forget Amazon Women On The Moon. This Arsenio opening sketch still kills me

1 Like

Loved the Scary Movie franchise as a youth. Itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve revisited but Iā€™d be surprised if i didnā€™t still enjoy them.

1 Like

All of them are good.

1 Like

Catholic Schoolgirls In Trouble!

Letā€™s make a proper list of movie podcasts that turn bad movies into fun reviews!

1. Blank Check
  2. How Did This Get Made?
  3. Yeah, Itā€™s that Bad (defunct but old eps are hilarious)
  4. Red Letter Media (not a fan of their later show Half in the Bag)
  5. Nando v Movies
  6. We Hate Movies
  7. ???

How is The Flop House not #1 here?

1 Like

Iā€™m Gonna Git You Sucka is 2nd only to Airplane! in the spoof category imo.

Hollywood Shuffle is also really good. I enjoyed The Great White Hype as well. I feel like thereā€™s another black spoof movie Iā€™m forgetting.

I mean Blank Check covers more good movies than bad ones. But they just do directorsā€™ entire filmographies, which inevitably runs them into bad movies in basically every directorā€™s career. But it is fun to hear them mercilessly roast something bad, thatā€™s true. Still, they obviously tend to gravitate toward covering directors they actually like, so the balance tips toward the positive.

Iā€™m really kind of amazed at their willingness to go in on things as honestly as they do, both being working actors who would presumably like to keep their options open to keep getting parts.

1 Like

The list is in no particular orderā€¦

Me too. I know someone who does sound design for a bunch of big movies. I suggested she do a few reaction videos lambasting sound design that doesnā€™t work. She said lol no, she enjoys having a career and didnā€™t want to make enemies.

Kentucky Fried Movie crawled so Amazon Women on the Moon could walk so Airplane! could fly.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Lol, Hot Shots came out when I was 13 and I thought it was the funniest thing imaginable. No way I could/would watch that now, it would just ruin happy childhood memories.

1 Like

On one of the episodes where Nia DaCosta guests, I think for Cast Away, she actually asked something like, ā€œDo you guys worry sometimes what being honest like this might do to your careers?ā€ And one was just like, ā€œOh yeah, I constantly think that this is just destroying my acting career.ā€ But the podcast has gotten big enough that I assume itā€™s providing a living by itself.

Iā€™m still blown away that David Krumholtz turned up on a recent episode and quickly went in on Chris Oā€™Donnell with, ā€œI havenā€™t met Chris Oā€™Donnell, Iā€™m sure heā€™s a nice guy. But heā€™s not an actor. Heā€™s never been an actor.ā€ Shit, man. Oā€™Donnell is still working as a TV actor. Youā€™ve gotta save that kind of smoke for someone you at least personally dislike.

1 Like

Aw but I like Chris in a couple of old movies. I could watch him in The Three Musketeers over and over. And how about his bit part in Fried Green Tomatoes?? Iā€™ll die on the hill that says Batman Forever is much better than Batman Returns.

I have to confess that the rest of his filmography looks pretty bad :pensive:

I have no strong feelings about Chris Oā€™Donnell. But hearing Krumholtz be so unfiltered was refreshing. The Scent of a Woman episode of Blank Check is recommended listening for anyone, and heā€™s a big reason why.

Will also shout out the Almost Famous episode of that podcast, especially if a person has even passing familiarity with Marc Maron.

1 Like

Respectfullyā€¦no. :grinning:

1 Like