Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Interesting. I thought he was endearing as hell. He gave the movie its levity.

Twister is a slight silly B movie but fun enough to make me excited to see the remake this month.

1 Like

Someone needs to see The Sessions. :wink:

1 Like

It looks like the new one is a sequel instead of a remake, which is why Iā€™m willing to see it. With Paxton and PSH unfortunately dead, thereā€™s really no lore from the first one that I expect to carry over, though Iā€™m guessing weā€™re maybe in store for a Helen Hunt cameo and another flying cow. Otherwise, it should just be a new crop of people carrying the story forward. Iā€™m still skeptical of Glen Powell, but maybe heā€™ll work for me in this one. I have found the trailer to be more appealing than I expected to find it.

1 Like

Twister is still enough of a thing that there are fan conventions. I know a few people who had side-ish roles in that movie that still do appearances ~6 times a year.

1 Like

I thought Twister was a good fun disaster movie, but really surprised to hear thereā€™s still an active fan community around it, never would have expected it to have that much staying power.

Iā€™ll say, that shot of the cow flying has stuck with me.

2 Likes

Itā€™s amazing who people are willing to pay to see/meet at a convention. I know a guy who was a zombie in Walking Dead in some of the earlier seasons and he has sold autographed pictures at little regional comic cons. He had a couple prominent shots in the show, but he wasnā€™t some special zombie or anything. Yet fans are excited to shell out money to get a random zombieā€™s autograph.

1 Like

Maybe one day there will be conventions for people who played Bill Gates

2 Likes

The entire idea of an autograph has always baffled me. I cant think of a single person alive or dead whose autograph (or a selfie for that matter) I would care about getting.

1 Like

Twister put ā€œBobā€™s Roadā€ into my lexicon. That right there was worth the price of admission.

1 Like

Agreed on your ranking of the Emma adaptations.

The best adaptation of Pride and Prejudice is, by far, the 1995 BBC miniseries starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I think itā€™s on Amazon Prime now. The 2005 movie is fine, but the miniseries allows time for the story to breathe.

:hot_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve always meant to get around to Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice. If you say itā€™s significantly better than the 2005 adaptation then thatā€™s a very solid rec.

1 Like

Thereā€™s always the chance of generational bias, but even the other casting is amazing, and they somehow managed to both be very faithful to the book but adapt it for screen in a way that it still works, and that is NOT an easy thing to do.

Also, the leads put on a clinic in face acting that Iā€™ve rarely seen matched.

1 Like

Twister came out when I was in high school. I went to see it on opening night with some friends, and afterwards a camera crew from the small town local news channel was there to interview people coming out of the theater. I think we said something like ā€œit was awesome!ā€

I donā€™t really consider it to be a key action movie of any era, but it was definitely part of a trend of disaster movies around that time. I would pick Indepedece Day as the best disaster movie of its period.

1 Like

1996, what a time to be alive!

Not pictured: Scream at #13 with a $103MM domestic gross

2 Likes

Twister making almost twice what The Rock made is absurd.

1 Like

watched Slums of Beverly Hills (1998) and i loved it of course, itā€™s a popcorn classic. and when it gets to the credits iā€™m looking for the name of the extremely recognizable actor playing the high school dropout pot dealer neighbor

and it turns out his name is kevin corrigan and itā€™s a name iā€™ve never heard or read, not one time, ever. despite seeing this manā€™s face all over movies and television throughout my life

1 Like

The Rock is rated R, which generally results in lower box office numbers. If it was (re)made today, the studio would probably insist on a PG-13 rating.

ETA: seems unreal that the totally forgettable Mel Gibson vehicle, Ransom, outearned The Rock, though

1 Like

without Twister, I never would have learned about the bad guy capitalist weather guys. We were so innocent.

1 Like

Fair point. I didnā€™t think of this.

1 Like

In rewatching Twister, when Bill Paxton derisively refers to Cary Elwes as a ā€œnightcrawler,ā€ I canā€™t say I remembered that or was at all familiar with that as a slang term until the Jake Gyllenhaal movie Nightcrawler (which is excellent), and to my knowledge those are the only two movies Iā€™ve seen use it in that way. Given that, itā€™s kind of funny that in the latter, Jake Gyllenhaal is a nightcrawler who is again specifically using shady methods to fuck up Bill Paxtonā€™s shit. Itā€™s like Paxton is just the one person in cinema who perpetually has a nightcrawler problem.

3 Likes