Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Threads

1 Like

anyway I thought cars was fine

Inside Out 2

Good movie. As with many sequels, it was working uphill because part of the magic of the original was in a strong premise and you simply can’t go home again, but they did a good enough job of freshening the premise up by advancing Riley (the subject girl that the emotions are controlling) into a new stage of life. It freshened things up enough to feel like there was some artistic point to continuing the story rather than solely being a crass money grab. Some good comedy bits, some good emotional button-pushing.

Of the voice actors, Phyllis Smith is clearly the star of this cast for as long as they do these. The others are fine, but she’s perfect voice casting. I couldn’t think of a better outlet for her after her time on The Office was done.

This won’t break into the Pixar top tier, but IMO it’s right there in that next group of movies that are still highly watchable but just not peak Pixar. 3.5/5.

2 Likes

On the subject of movies that make us cry, I watched the last 15 minutes of “Big Fish” last night. Hoo boy that one gets me every time.

2 Likes

That’s a great movie. One of the few Tim Burton movies where the weirdness works for me.

Here’s the Pixar scene that makes me weep.

1 Like

From the filming of Back to School:

William Zabka and Dangerfield first met early one morning in a Madison, Wisconsin hotel elevator. Dangerfield wore a blue robe with his hair sticking up. After Zabka introduced himself, he asked Dangerfield why he was in a robe. “I gotta get in the sauna”, Dangerfield replied. “I gotta get the pot out of my lungs. You, you’re young. You can handle it, but me, I gotta get it out.” (IMDb)

2 Likes

You’ve almost got it right. The break shot is just pocketing the last free object ball, and using the cueball to break the next rack.

Straight pool is the best billiards game there is, imo. Here’s a video of one of my higher runs, my first break shot is at 2:20:

2 Likes

In your first re-break, you caromed the ball off the rack. I know that’s a natural way for the ball to travel but is that something that is required with hitting the last ball in or can it be done in two shots? That’s very cool, thanks for the explanation.

Every shot needs to be called, so had I sunk the last ball without hitting the rack, I’d have had to call a ball and pocket from an unopened rack, which is a tall order. Half the fun of straight pool is manipulating the table during your run to make sure both the cueball and last object ball are in position for a good break. The other half of the fun is trying to recover when you fail to accomplish that adequately.

This next link was the video that I posted first, but I switched it because the first break shot (at 2:55) is from terrible position and didn’t illustrate how the game should be played. It’s a nice recovery though, and possibly my best shot on video even though it doesn’t look like much:

1 Like

Do you hit the rack with no intent of a ball going in? What’s the penalty if one does?

Similar question to above. If your called shot goes in, but another ball goes in also, that’s fine, right?

The penalty is that your opponent inherits the table. On any shot a ball must hit a rail or be pocketed. Failure to do so is a 1 point foul. If you foul in 3 consecutive shots it’s a 15 point foul, the table is re-racked, and you must play an opening break from behind the line. Straight pool is like snooker in that having the open break is unfavorable,

Yup, totally fine. Any shot is fair game as long as the ball you called winds up in the pocket you called.

1 Like

I assume the breaker calls something. What’s the optimal ball to call on the break?

Also assume that you lose possession if you make your called shot, but the cue ball ends up in a pocket. Is it ball in hand for opponent then?

Pool thread needed asap

1 Like

On the break, 2 balls plus the cueball must hit a rail or it is a foul. The goal of most opening breaks is to safety-break in such a way that the 2 back corner balls of the rack hit a rail, bounce off, and re-rack themselves, all while getting the cueball to come back to the rail on the breaker’s side of the table. I can count the number of “perfect” breaks I’ve had in my lifetime on one hand. Almost always the breaker gives up something.

Correct. Ball in hand, but it’s ball in hand behind the headstring. Other fouls are NOT ball in hand, they are played from where the cueball lies. Intentional fouls are played occasionally, usually when the opponent is already on one or two fouls.

1 Like

Tuesday

3/10

I was excited to see Julia Louis-Dreyfus in a drama, but this did not hit with me at all. It took some stylistic risks that, without the emotional core behind it, made me roll my eyes throughout the movie.

IMG_1501

2 Likes

The Stuff (1985) Aw man, my guy Larry Cohen nails the assignment once again. Aggressively weird 80’s schlock horror/comedy. Paul Sorvino?!

Brats - the Andrew McCarthy documentary on the Brat Pack, more specifically the effect that the moniker had on the members. It’s kind of a silly subject but if you enjoy the pop culture from that time I think you’ll enjoy the 90 minutes spent. I did. Streaming on Hulu