Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I think it means that after the cue ball strikes the object ball it needs to crash into the newly racked set of balls enough that it will create another makeable shot.

Oh so thereā€™s an object ball still on the table outside of the rack. That is fucking weird man.

Apparently? I never knew the rules either.

By the way, Jeremy Rennerā€™s agent should go into some sort of hall of fame. How the fuck was he in EVERYTHING for such a prolonged period of time? And often with a rocket strapped to his ass, with laughable notions like him taking over as the lead in M:I movies. Even when I have no specific criticisms of his performance, heā€™s just sort of perpetually annoying as an on-screen presence.

I thought he was incredible in The Town. Like heā€™s nothing intimidating to look at, and yet I was terrified of him the whole movie.

1 Like

Iā€™ve not seen that movie. On one hand, your comment intrigues me. On the other hand, you have just alerted me to the fact that itā€™s another damn Jeremy Renner movie.

Hmm. I see itā€™s on Apple+. Alright, in the name of science, Iā€™m firing it up.

Given your and my movie tastes seem to mesh at about 90%, you should be in for a treat.

Unless you think yah bettah than people.

1 Like

I like how that last sentence made me go, ā€œoh, I bet thereā€™s a Rewatchables about this too.ā€ And, yes.

Alright, hoping for the best.

Itā€™s an all time good Rewatchables too.

Listening to a podcast sounds to me like torture. Do they later release transcripts?

Iā€™m guessing you pull all the balls out and rack them normally, minus the one ball, I think, that stays where it is. Having one ball missing from the rack isnā€™t a big deal and itā€™s probably just the top ball placement that doesnā€™t have it.

Suzzer, it sounds like you need to do a bank shot into the newly racked balls and then finish out the last ball from the previous rack. Iā€™ve never seen it played but have played a lot of pool so it sounds right.

Renner is really good in The Hurt Locker.

1 Like

Renner is good. Heā€™s not an actor I ever particularly remember for his performance, but heā€™s always good and heā€™s been in a bunch of good stuff.

1 Like

I like Renner. He was also positioned to take over the Bourne franchise. Amazing to see him at least given a shot with multiple franchises.

We almost lost him quite recently. I think it was a snow plow accident? Word is that heā€™s a rambunctious sort and that may have played into the injury.

On January 1, 2023, Renner was hospitalized after suffering blunt chest trauma and 38 broken bones. He saved his nephew from being run over by his snowplow, but was hit himself,[74][75][76][77] by a snowcat weighing 14,330 pounds (6,500 kg).[78] Renner was flown by helicopter[79] to Renown Regional Medical Center (the regionā€™s only trauma center).[80] Renner underwent surgery and remained in the intensive care unit in critical condition.[76] By January 17, Renner was released from the hospital and had returned home to continue his recovery.[81] Ten weeks (3 months) after the accident, Renner was beginning to be able to walk with a cane. Doctors said that Rennerā€™s survival was probably aided by his health and fitness.

1 Like

He was also great at getting the room dusty in Arrival.

I liked Renner in Wind River.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not that far off from you here. I like most of the movies Iā€™ve seen him in. And I feel like heā€™s basically capable as an actor, yet he never feels like a value-add to me. Hence my comment about how his agent should be enshrined.

It seems like you process this as a positive about him, and I process it as some weirdos trying hard to make Fetch happen in a way that I canā€™t understand. The notion of him leading a big-money franchise as a hero is borderline absurd to me. Still, Iā€™m pretty sure Harrison Ford is dying of a heart attack tomorrow and that the Jeremy Renner Indiana Jones announcement will be along by the end of the week.

This is probably the one role Iā€™d point to where I actively wish someone else had been cast in the role. No particular chemistry with Adams at all. Feel like itā€™s a better movie in different hands. With most of his other roles it just feels like he was one of numerous people at that talent level who could deliver just about that same level of performance.

1 Like

Iā€™m kinda loving it so far. And I specifically am enjoying Renner more than I usually do, so good call.

1 Like

Thatā€™s wild. No I kinda had the same reaction as seeing him lacking that certain je ne sais would that would make him function as the leader of a franchise. I just mean that itā€™s significant for several franchises to have tried to give him front stage placement.

I gotta disagree with you about Arrival. I liked his sad person chemistry with Amy Adams.

I am squarely in the ā€œyeah, heā€™s fineā€ camp, and I agree that heā€™s had a ton of amazing roles for somebody who isnā€™t really very distinctive. But I think itā€™s probably that everyman/blank slate quality that makes him appealing to directors.

2 Likes