Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Plus Last of the Mohicans, The Crying Game, and Beethoven.

Army of Darkness also perfectly cromulent.

Oh drat you were marking movies from 96.

No, the prior list was 1992. That post was just addressing BP nominees from 1996 since he said he’s blank on the whole list.

Lots of other stuff I really like from 1996, but it’s mostly movies I know the Academy wouldn’t have touched.

1 Like

The Academy was scared of that movie. It defined the zeitgeist of college culture anywhere activism was prevalent in 1992. Absolutely incredible movie.

And please watch Fargo.

If you didn’t hear, Godzilla Minus One is on Netflix right now in honor of Pride Month.

What’s the connection?

3 Likes

Godzilla is a gay icon, everyone knows it. Mothra is a lesbian queen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comments/tm59en/just_gonna_leave_this_here/

3 Likes

IMG_1433

3 Likes

https://x.com/TheSWU/status/1797375396888879566?t=kGjSvaigwR7Q1fT2yNbCHw&s=19

2 Likes

Got around to The Lobster tonight (good movie). There’s definitely a pretty clear Yorgos weirdness scale.

From weirdest to least weird:
Dogtooth
The Lobster
The Killing of a Sacred Deer
Poor Things
The Favourite

Dogtooth made me so uncomfortable that I didn’t make it to the end. Sacred Deer is darker than The Lobster, but I don’t think I can call it weirder. The Favourite basically wouldn’t even bring “weird” to mind; it’s reflective of Yorgos’s offbeat sense of humor as a filmmaker, but I still wouldn’t have necessarily guessed it was him blind.

With Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz, and Olivia Colman being recurring Yorgos players, and Kinds of Kindness being an anthology film, it surprises me a little that none of them are in it.

The Banger Wolf of Wall Street is streaming free on Pluto. Always worth a rewatch.

1 Like

MoviePass doc didn’t disappoint. Basically the boomer version of FyreFest meets Enron. How many of you had MoviePass? I think my favorite part were the interviews with the people gleefully talking about seeing hundreds of movies just abusing the daylights out of the dumbest pricing scheme of all time.

4 Likes

I can’t believe they also made a handful of movies. Like all of the Escape Plan movies. I liked the first one. And Villains was actually pretty good.

They talk about the horrible Gotti movie that got 0% in the doc haha.

1 Like

I didn’t realize this was streaming on Max. Cheers, appreciate you bringing it up.

1 Like

I wasn’t one of those guys who went to 50 movies a week but for a while I was seeing one movie a week in theaters and it cost the equivalent of one ticker per month. Back then I was seeing about a movie a week in theaters anyway and plus I wound up taking a chance on a lot of little movies I would never have seen otherwise. Favorite was Crawl which is an absolute banger of a lowball horror movie. Just a blast to see these dumb nothing movies on the big screen.

I wish I had kept my MoviePass card as a lot of fans have done.

2 Likes

I think they are quite valuable on ebay (at least it is claimed in the doc they go for $1500 I haven’t verified)

Crawl is excellent and very underrated. Its like if Lake Placid was actually good

2 Likes

Which is like if Anaconda was actually good too?