Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

That looks awesome. “Rainbow Connection” is such a gift.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Just to reiterate the importance of timing, when I saw 40 Year Old Virgin in the store I was almost 40 and I laughed harder at that movie than I can remember before or after, ugly cry laughter. I watched it some over the years and it never hit that hard again. I should watch it again and see how well it holds up.

1 Like

If you haven’t seen it Street Gang: How We Got to Sesame Street (HBO) is a good watch. It covers the first 20 years of Sesame Street. Lots of behind the scenes footage and interviews with original cast members. Henson is all over it as well.

1 Like

It holds up imo

2 Likes

Cool, hadn’t heard of it. On the watchlist it goes.

1 Like

4 Likes

OMG imagine watching a movie in the theater and suddenly Al Pacino goes full Al Pacino at the screen in the middle of it.

I was thinking the other day about this silent movie I saw years ago, the plot is so bonkers it’s hard to believe. Spoilered below, but worth seeing if you’re a weirdo who will watch silent movies.

“Alonzo the Armless” is a circus freak who uses his feet to toss knives and fire a rifle at his partner, Nanon. However, he is an impostor and a fugitive from the law. He actually has arms, but keeps them tightly strapped to his torso, a secret known only to his midget friend Cojo. Alonzo’s left hand has a double thumb, which would readily identify him as the perpetrator of various crimes from his past.

Alonzo is secretly in love with Nanon. Malabar, the circus strongman, is devoted to her as well, but she has a phobia of men’s hands and cannot stand being pawed by them, so she shuns him. She only feels comfortable around the armless Alonzo, because she doesn’t feel threatened by him. When she embraces and kisses him one day, he is given hope, but Cojo warns him that he cannot let it happen again. If she holds him too tightly, she might feel his arms.

When Antonio Zanzi, the circus’s owner and Nanon’s father, discovers Alonzo’s secret, Alonzo strangles him with his bare hands outside of his circus wagon. Nanon witnesses this through a window, but her view is partially blocked. A flash of lightning reveals that her father’s killer has a double thumb on his left hand, but she cannot see the killer’s face. Since Alonzo is believed to be armless, he is not a suspect.

When the circus leaves town, Alonzo has Nanon remain behind with him. He takes extreme measures to try to win the woman he loves. He blackmails a surgeon into amputating his arms. While he is recovering, however, Malabar’s persistent love finally enables Nanon to overcome her phobia of hands, and she agrees to marry him.

When Alonzo (now truly armless) returns to Nanon, she excitedly tells him that she and Malabar are getting married. Alonzo is shocked and horrified, first laughing hysterically, then crying, as he realizes he has cut off his arms for nothing. His emotional outburst confuses the couple, but then Nanon tells Malabar “Look! Alonzo is crying because he is so happy for us.”

Alonzo then learns that Malabar and Nanon have been practicing a new act, where the strongman’s arms are seem to be pulled in opposite directions by two wild horses (who are actually running on hidden treadmills). During the first performance, Alonzo stops one treadmill in an attempt to maim or kill Malabar, hoping the horses will tear the strongman’s arms from his body. When Nanon starts to intervene, Alonzo threatens her with a knife, telling her to stay back. However, she rushes to calm one of the horses down. Alonzo tries to save her from injury by pushing her out of the way. The horse knocks Alonzo down and stomps on his chest, killing him. The machine is turned off, and Malabar is saved from mutilation.

4 Likes

I did work for that movie many years ago. I can vouch it is a good movie.

1 Like

I think you messed up the audio, tbh. I had to put subtitles on cause the dialogue wasn’t coming through at all.

har har, I edited and mixed the commentary for it

OK who did the poster design for this, explain yourself.

https://x.com/filmstofilms_/status/1783835918413201553

1 Like

Yeah that is terrible

1 Like

Charlie… oh no

1 Like

I like to think that he dies offscreen in the first 5 minutes of most movies

I just read a positive review of the movie in the NYT, yet many of the most liked comments are opining about how Zendaya is a terrible actor.

1 Like

I haven’t seen that much of her except Euphoria, but her performance in Season 2 Episode 5 tells me that she is at least capable of being a fantastic actor.

1 Like

I couldn’t watch much of Euphoria, it was the rare work that crosses a darkness threshold I couldn’t deal with. But she’s a very capable lead in this movie.

1 Like

Comment sections are a toxic cesspool and should be avoided. Just the worst people desperate to say the worst things.

Zendaya has been pretty good in anything I’ve seen her in and I suspect she’ll be even better as she matures (edit: surprised to read she’s 27. I honestly thought she was 22 at most)

1 Like

She was also good in the last three Spider-Man movies.