Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I’d give it a shot. Based off a Richard Matheson story, so if anything, The Sixth Sense would be inspired by Stir of Echoes. Having said that, it’s not at all the same story or twist or anything.

Yeah, it’s on the list, has been forever. It’s just on the non-urgent part of the list. I’ll probably eventually see it.

1 Like

I bet @nunnehi has some explanations for why this is

Civil War

I feel shellshocked. I never want to watch this movie ever again. Not sure what else to say.

Edit. It’s great film making but very unpleasant to watch. The people who have not seen it but are critiquing the Texas California stuff are maybe missing the point more than anyone has ever missed the point in the history of film critique. I like that it purposely doesn’t let you off by making it easy to pick sides.

The counterpointal score and soundtrack work so well.

1 Like

Today I learned that the Pepsi girl from the 90s is Jesse Eisenberg’s little sister.

Carry on.

2 Likes

Just watched Civil War as well. Very good and very fucked up. The second to last scene was a bit predictable and on the nose, but it didn’t hurt my enjoyment.

3 Likes

agree the whole ending is the weakest part.

More often than not it’s ‘coincidence’. Sometimes a property bounces around the studio system and is rejected all over the place. Someone inside a studio might say, ‘hmm, that’s still a good idea for a film, with different parameters, let’s try to beat it to the street with our own version’. Originality isn’t Hollywood’s forte, especially these days, so there’s usually some kind of explanation for it. Sometimes the good one hits the street first and sometimes the bad one does. The well can get poisoned or boosted by whichever one comes out first.

What can’t be explained is how the story me and my partner are developing was pretty much a story that was losing its ability to be told 6 years ago. Within the last two years, we’ve heard of two ‘competing’ projects attempting to tell some version of the relatively ancient story (one was a TV show that we think possibly got killed in the HBO bloodletting and one is an upcoming movie that will likely come out maybe late this year or early next year at the latest). The TV project was aware we own the rights to the best book about the story but never approached us to see if we should team up. The other one was a resurrected 15 year old script from the Blacklist. I can tell you right now that movie is not gonna be good and I hope it doesn’t harm our ability to get backed. Coincidence may explain what happened with us and the other projects, but who really knows? We just know we’re not going to compromise our vision to try to get to the street first. Many people in Hollywood don’t care about that at all and just want to be first. What we have to hope is that the rest of Hollywood doesn’t say been there done that if a poorly told version of the story gets out there before we get a chance to show the system what we’re planning. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

The more I think about this movie the more I think it’s sort of genius. Its refusal to identify good guys and to align with the current political atmosphere is really smart. Its staunch “apolitical” narrative is its most political position. It’s purposeful.

I agree the ending is weak but not enough to make it not worth it.

It’s odd people are claiming it has no side. It’s so clearly does. It’s just not Democrat or Republican. That’s not to say it’s centrist, which is the critique I am seeing from all those geniuses who have it pegged without actually seeing it. It’s not centrist because it can’t be placed on the political spectrum.

It’s thesis is perfectly summed up in two lines from the film

We record, so others can ask.

And

When I sent back photos from war zones, I thought I was sending a warning to never do this here.

I’ll add this film really highlights a terrible trend in film criticism in which people review the film they wanted to see rather than the movie that was actually made.

2 Likes

Jesse Plemons’ ratio of being terrifying while seeming completely normal has got to be near the top of the charts

3 Likes

I’m just happy to hear that Offerman is MAGA coded (according to the Rewatchables FB anyway). I was afraid that it would be something batshit insane like radical campus lefties somehow took over the govt and turned it fascist. Which is literally a scenario that 20-30% of the country lives in desperate fear of, while they shrug off or cheer on J6.

What are the other roles everyone knows him from?

Todd from Breaking Bad, security guard from Game Night, the captain from the Star Trek episode of Black Mirror

1 Like

Landry from Friday Night Lights. If you told me that show would launch one big star, I’d never have guessed Plemons.

1 Like

It’s very subtle at most. I could see it being read the other way too. There is another line that is also very ambiguous in reference to antifa.

Is Plemons a big star now? Genuinely asking. I don’t follow this stuff very closely. Seems solidly b-list in my estimation.

1 Like

Appreciate you mentioning this.

Drive Away Dolls started a little too cartoonishly for my taste, but I settled into it by the end. Helps that it’s so short at 84 minutes.

He’s in that weird spot where he’s a “Hey it’s that guy” and appearing in so many different A-list stuff. I guess call him an A+ B lister. I think you’re right that he’s not quite a A-list star.

I consider B-list to be a big star. But I also consider the true A-list to be pretty small.

You can’t bank on Plemons to open a movie to good business if he’s in top billing, but him being featured in a movie is likely a consistent drawing card.

1 Like

I think this may be one of those things that is correlated rather than causative. Plemons seems to get rolls in good stuff. No one (expect for movie nerds) is going to see it because of Plemons. He just happens to be there. The draw is the other actors/director/story.

1 Like