Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I dont think it was for incels really. Since Fargo some people have called the Coen Bros stuff nihilistic. I dont agree with that, but see it more for something like this. I dont know if Id call Joker nihilistic, because I dont think anything done thematically was intentional.

Its a pretty good script because it copies some very good scripts, but its just like asking me to paint the Mona Lisa.

2 Likes

Hype! Rude hue hue

That’s a good point. Maybe just me but if you could deliver a well-made painting with some high-concept element added, I would want to see your version of the Mona Lisa.

Yeah I don’t expect this film to get universal plaudits, so I’m not surprised to hear that there’s counterpoint incoming, but damn I’m pleased with what I got.

By the way, it hits that sweet spot of “very dark” with “not too dark to rewatch,” which is always a nice bonus. I’m certain I’ll be rewatching this.

1 Like

Yes please

4 Likes

This Lanthimos Stone thing is the best thing to happen to cinema since Scorsese DeNiro.

2 Likes

Here’s my caveat. I think the first 2/3rds of the film are good. They’re dark and it gets darker with every scene. Which is should do, it’s a road trip movie where you start out naïve and you slowly go deeper and deeper, until you run into Jesse Plemons and then you realize you’re truly in a world of shit.

I did the like confusion about who were the Western Forces and who were Unionists(?). It’s all a bit confusing which seems on purpose and to further the narrative. The movie isn’t going to dissect why America broke up or that Conservatives are bad. They’re just photo journalists travelling the hellscapes that they’ve travelled before but now that happens to be New York and Pennsylvania backroads and small towns.

My complaints for the first two thirds are small. Durst’s world weary shell shock is manifested in the worst pay possible, in being a frowny- faced sourpuss. She gets 2 scenes where she’s showing emotion, otherwise it’s her with long staring shots in the camera. Second why are snipers wearing dyed neon colored hair? It’s a small point.

Up until that point they’ve showing war but they’ve shown the consequences of it, in unarmed solders being executed, looters hung up and shot, a shot soldier bleeding out while his friends frantically try to save their own lives.

All the way up to the Jesse Plemons scene, which was is genuinely the most tense pee yourself inducing scene I’ve scene, the movie has kept with the theme of human drama that surrounds war.

As that car broke through the tension in that scene, somehow it broke Garland as well because the movie then turns into "Wouldn’t it be sexy to watch the military assault the White House?

So the vibes changed, now we’re getting gorgeous shots of tanks riding over cars, helicopters firing rockers up close and personal into building showing their awesome power. You see a teams of soldiers maneuver to take out a fortified position. You get a lot of the sexy military yelling and handwaving. You get the breeching a door and shouting out positions. It’s so much about how amazing military action as action is. It’s so far from the horrors of war tone earlier. The tonal shift even manifests itself into the photojournalists who become miniature embodiments of Jake Gyllenhaal from Nightcrawler.

Spoiler: One thing that would have make the end a lot better is when they shoot up the President limo and the people come out, have it to be kids and a mom so you definitely get a stronger impression they just shot the President’s family and kids on the streets.

3 Likes

I actually do understand where you’re coming from there re: the final act, though I find that the vibe shift was fairly appropriate. But I get it if that’s someone’s least favorite part.

1 Like

Classic movie

3 Likes

Oh good, seems like it was just hacks leading with clickbait headlines.

2 Likes

In this movie, is the President a conservative or liberal?

It doesn’t really say. The only knowledge anyone mentions was that he “gifted” himself a third term

I think that’s a real demarcation line of whether the movie could ever work ‘in our world’ and making it ambiguous is strange. If he says it’s a liberal president, it’s defying reality, as it would never happen without a prior precedent. If he says it’s a conservative president, it’s a comment on what Trump could be trying to do. Would you describe the people trying to do the overthrow as conservative or liberal? If you can’t discern the president’s views, maybe you can discern the views of the ones going against him to get an idea of what his views might be.

I get it’s supposed to be in the future, but it’s really not.

It also tells us he disbanded the FBI and ordered airstrikes on US citizens.

Like, my takeaway is that he’s a Trump redux of sorts, but that reflects my bias. I think the audience is simply guided to map their political enemy onto him. As silly as it feels to me that conservatives believe that any Dem POTUS would stage the sort of authoritarian takeover as seems to have happened in this movie world, there’s no question that right-wingers fearmonger about that very thing.

I think Garland manages to thread the difficult needle here of making the President an implied authoritarian villain without identifying his politics exactly.

But what about the people trying to take him down? Are there any proclivities?

For recent combinations, Coogler-Jordan and Peele-Kaluuya have it beat

Talking about this with another film nerd and we decided Sorcerer has maybe one of the worst movie titles of all time.

I mean the Jesse Plemons character codes heavily as right-wing, but as you keep running into fighters it’s often not even clear which side they’re fighting on. Unless I’m forgetting, Plemons’s affiliation in the war remains unspoken. It’s also implied that there’s more than one rebellious faction (Florida is mentioned as being against the feds but not part of the CA-TX alliance).

I’ll put this in spoilers because of something I read:

Could you tell what the political beliefs were of the person who actually shot the president?

No, that’s unclear too. They don’t put a good light on the President or any of the fighters. They don’t try to create a “good” side, and you’re really never looking at anything through a combatant’s POV (except sort of literally, I guess, at one point).