Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I know, that’s why I said it

1 Like
2 Likes

Kinda stoked to see this in imax

Confirmed.

I’ve had spotty success with getting into the classics of Japanese cinema (Seven Samurai and Ikiru were difficult to really latch onto for me), but this was truly excellent. I had no problem immediately understanding all the love it gets.

2 Likes

I don’t think I can handle a civil war movie in the current climate.

1 Like

Some of the classic samurai movies are really slowly paced by modern standards, they’re not always easy to sit through. I’m trying to think of classic Japanese movies that are more accessible, maybe Rashomon, Pigs and Battleships, and… maybe Kuroneko?

The Town > Heat

Come at me bro

1 Like

I loved Rashomon, loved Throne of Blood, so some of the Kurosawa ones have worked for me. I feel more excited about delving into more of these Japanese classics after how good Harakiri was.

I think I could see this if the ending weren’t so bad imo

Not sure if ponied but this was neat for spiderverse fans:

2 Likes

Yeah Harakari is fucking awesome.

Absolutely sick

1 Like

Why did you dislike the ending? Was it because he gets away?

Since there was some talk of westerns a few days ago :

• there’s a series of (plotwise unconnected) westerns made by Budd Boetticher starring Randolph Scott in the 50’s (Ride Lonesome, the Tall T,…). They’re pretty good as far as classic westerns go, and have the nice particularity of being all between 70 and 80 min (priceless quality imo).

• just watched the original “Road House”, and wow taking a classic western plot but with the stranger into town being not the best gunfighter but the best 80s club bouncer in the country is really such a cool premise, lol. Not the greatest movie, but definitely a lot of fun.
    (also saw the trailer of the remake which sadly did not make me want to see more. seems like wasted potential).

2 Likes

My favorite thing about the original Road House is it exists in a world where several bouncers are world famous for being bouncers. :grin:

3 Likes

And they all end up in some podunk town where Jeff Healey would get assaulted nightly if not for performing behind a fence

1 Like

I thought the blind guy playing his guitar horizontally was just another crazy 80s exaggeration from the movie…only found out this was a real performer at the end credits (and was impressed) :smiley:

The Intern.

Would have never picked this myself but it’s a complete joy of a film. DeNiro and Hathaway are perfect as the senior intern and boss. Made me smile from start to end. Classic feel good film.

Grade: B+

1 Like

The Informant was… good?

Its a pretty batshit story that trusts the audience completely, with the additional caveat that its filled with comic actors who play their roles very straight. I enjoyed it and laughed a lot at how absolutely nutty Damon’s character is and the responses that got out of the other characters, but Im not sure how good it actually is.

Likely not a rewatch, but a solid 3.75/5

1 Like

I watched Lethal Weapon so I could listen to the Rewatchables, it was fine. But they kept going on and on about how good Lethal Weapon II was and how it was one of the best sequels ever. I was like I remember the toilet and the South African guys and not much else, but I’ll give it a try.

Holy hell what a terrible movie. Basically every scene is either a dumb car chase, a dumb shootout, or the bad guys putting Riggs or Murtaugh in some version of the unnecessarily slow dipping device and walking away, when they could have just shot them and ended it. Over and over and over.

Oh the bad guys are doing something at X? Let’s just head over there solo with no backup and drag Joe Pesci along for good measure, but leave him in the car. Over and over.

Obviously I wasn’t expecting much, but I was expecting a reasonable movie with a plot at least.

He was possibly the most famous white Blues guitarist at the time, taking over for George Thorogood maybe a year earlier. His life was cut way too short and he had a wonderful speaking voice as shown in the movie.

ETA: I just read his career arc as I was going off of memory but he was not ‘music’ famous at the time the movie was being shot (was known as a guitar prodigy for many years), though he was famous or about to get famous in the U.S. before the movie came out (it probably helped his career more than his career helped the film but it was likely pretty close). He was performing in the movie at the same time he was recording his band’s debut album (released about 8 months before the movie came out). The hit song from the album was released as a single in the U.S. about a month after the movie came out.

1 Like