Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

The 90s were a great year for movies with Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey.

I think mine is Happy Gilmore.

I remember watching it at my girlfriend at the times place. Her mom was real uptight, but when Happy said, ā€œYou eat pieces of shit for breakfast??ā€ she lost it and laughed.

1 Like

Happy Gilmore is way up there for me too

2 Likes

Oh that reminds me: The Cable Guy is the most unfairly hated-upon comedy ever. People were so mad that it wasnā€™t The Mask Part II and was instead something much better that they werenā€™t prepared for.

4 Likes

Maybe?? I have tried it multiple times and just never connected with the material.

1 Like

I dunno about Sandler. Happy Gilmore was great, but I think thatā€™s the only one I would give that label to.

1 Like

Wedding Singer was great too.

I guess I reject the notion of Happy Gilmore being ā€œdumb.ā€ Itā€™s funny because the humor is clever and the comic deliveries are strong. Itā€™s great because of a bunch of things itā€™s doing exactly right with their exact intent landing well. It doesnā€™t seem correct to just conflate slapstick with dumb.

2 Likes

The price is right, bitch. Doesnā€™t get more epic than that.

1 Like

Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, The Wedding Singer, The Waterboy, Big Daddy is a nice five-year stretch of ā€œdumbā€ comedies.

1 Like

I guess ā€œdumbā€ isnā€™t the right word (which is why I put it in quotes). I just couldnā€™t think of a better one.

The list of celebrity movie cameos better than this cannot be very long.

1 Like

Mid/Late-90s Comedies

Tier I
Happy Gilmore
Austin Powers
Tommy Boy
The Cable Guy
Dumb and Dumber
The Wedding Singer

Tier II
Ace Ventura
The Mask
Liar Liar

Tier III
Billy Madison
Dirty Work

Iā€™m not sure I have compliments for many others. I slashed the decade in half to avoid intermingling those movies with the Bill Murray and Steve Martin movies since they just sort of seem like different things from different SNL generations.

3 Likes

Right??? Iā€™m not as big on Big Daddy, but Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and The Wedding Singer are an incredible set of three perfect movies. Then thereā€™s 50 First Dates, which is just infinitely rewatchable on almost the same level as The Wedding Singer.

2 Likes

Jim Carrey owning all of Tier II is a thing

I agree about Big Daddy, even though ā€œthatā€™s a shitload of pissā€ lives forever in my head.

2 Likes

You trying to say it isnā€™t so??

Yeah, I didnā€™t like it. Better than Never Been Kissed in the pantheon of subpar 00s Drew Barrymore romcoms, I suppose.

1 Like

SUBPAR?!!

Themā€™s fighting words.

In all seriousness, dang, Iā€™m sad to hear it didnā€™t hit it for you. Did you see Blended? I didnā€™t like that one at all.

The Wedding Singer is pretty special.

1 Like