Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

It would be. Even with the very shaky start to the movie year, I don’t see myself considering canceling anytime soon.

Glad that they’re at least supplementing the bad slate of movies with things like a 3/20 Dolby Cinema one-off rerelease screening of The Matrix.

1 Like

Finally got around to seeing Barbie, it’s just pure silly fun. I think it’s great, go watch a von Trier film or something if you didn’t like it.

4 Likes

I saw that John Waters was trending and I feared the worst. And it is the worst, he’s making movies again.

https://bsky.app/profile/nedraggett.bsky.social/post/3kmgagh46os2z

Do Bluesky links not work here?

2 Likes

I guess everyone whos been dying for naked Aubrey Plaza can rejoice now

Hallelujah. Couldn’t agree more.

Hell yeah.

I went to the Les Misérables rerelease - was incredible. Probably my favorite movie. The beginning of Look Down gave me goosebumps. Plus Epilogue always makes me bawl.

On another note The Taste of Things was fantastic but don’t go in expecting a fast paced plot. It’s a love letter to French Cuisine first, a movie second.

1 Like

I don’t have any strong opinions on whether Dune as a Top 5 or whatever sci-fi movie, but it really is an amazing adaptation. Doesn’t water down the source material so nerds can be happy, but also casuals can enjoy the movie if they follow along. Doesn’t hit you over the head with politics or over-explain the fantasy world. Really the best sci-fi/fantasy adaptation since Lord of the Rings.

2 Likes

Just saw Drive Away Dolls and it was… something. I had some good laughs at the late 90’s lesbiana of it all, but it was also a bit too trippy for me at times. Solid B+ for me

2 Likes

https://x.com/WhenToStream/status/1762858868705571010?s=20

7 Likes

Damn, was just searching last night for a streaming/rental release date last night and couldn’t find one and didn’t feel like waiting so I just bought it. So out $20 since I’m resubscribing to Hulu anyway, but whatever absolute banger of a movie, 10/10, and it even edges out Oppenheimer for me.

1 Like

Nice, that will complete my list of oscar noms that I even slightly care about

I recommend caring about all of them. Except for Maestro. It’s okay to not care about Maestro. And then once you’re done you can move on to the 1973 nominees.

I’d say I care about none of the Oscar nominees, been that way for years now. Usually end up seeing 1-3 from the BP nominee list randomly throughout the year.

Good Time

7/10

Been on my radar for a while. Stars Robert Pattinson. Lighting and soundtrack were creative. The sound track was very synth-y, reminded me a lot of John Carpenter. The lighting was a lot of black with neon. The story was ok though. Kind of forgettable.

2 Likes

Its a good companion piece to Uncut Gems. Really shows off the Safdie’s style. RP being a streetwise thug is a little tough to get around, and the storyline with the underage girl about to have sex with RP was super ick to me, but otherwise pretty good overall if a little aimless.

1 Like

The BP nominees are very, very good this year.

Possibly the best since they expanded the list to >5.

2 Likes

Aimless is the fault that I would put on it to make it merely mediocre whereas Uncut Gems is much more directed. The both have a very stressful chaotic vibes to their scenes, a lot of cross talk, multiple things going on that’s distracting what needs to happen, etc

1 Like

I did the “maestro booger” this year. I watched all the movies, except only 20 minutes of dreck of the last movie

2 Likes

I really don’t think it’s THAT bad, but it is the negative outlier of the field. I think the acting is really good and that the major set piece where he conducts Mahler’s 2nd is really compelling.

Still, it’s a clear #10 of 10 and I know that even my lukewarm reaction to it is more positive than a lot of people feel about it.

2 Likes

I’m sure they’re decent enough films I just have no desire to watch most of them, they don’t spark any interest in me when I watch the trailers or see little description of them. Much rather use my screen time to watch TV shows, shitty horror movies or random older movies.

It also doesn’t help that a couple of the recent BP nominees that I only watched because everyone was praising them were duds for me (EEAAO and Barbie).