Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Fincher is great, but Wright just has way too many bangers for me to put Fincher ahead.

1 Like

Yeah I havenā€™t seen most of those. Scott Pilgrim was really good/great, Baby Driver was decent.

You havenā€™t seen the Cornetto Trilogy (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The Worldā€™s End?)

No. At Worldā€™s End I hadnā€™t heard of. The other two are on the watchlist.

Move em up, imo. Shaun is a brilliant horror satire, and Hot Fuzz is my current favorite movie.

Shaun of the Dead has been on a bit of a hold for me simply because I still havenā€™t been able to see 1978 Dawn of the Dead and I assumed that meant it would be spoofing things I hadnā€™t seen. And Dawn of the Dead seems to still be in rights hell where I canā€™t see it even if I shelled out money to rent it. Itā€™s available nowhere, including my library that has nearly everything. Frustrating shit; I realize itā€™s supposed to be a must-see.

Anyway, Iā€™ll get to these things.

The only problem with Fincher is taking the bag from Netflix and doing just stuff for them the last 6 years.

In a clip shared by Raiders of the Lost Podcast, Nolan told Dune director Denis Villeneuve: ā€œFor me, I donā€™t think it says too much to say that if Dune: Part One was Star Wars, this to me is very much The Empire Strikes Back, which is my favorite of the Star Wars films. I just think itā€™s an incredibly exciting expansion of all of the things you introduce in the first one.ā€

Since then the comparisons to the eighties classic have just kept coming in - our own reviewer Kevin Harley in the Total Film review of Dune: Part Two described the film as ā€œa sequel that ranks alongside The Dark Knight and The Empire Strikes Backā€.

I feel a mix of real anticipation for Dune 2 alongside a pre-annoyance that the world is going to come together and nestle it in alongside The Dark Knight in the IMDb rankings as two of the top five films ever created.

1 Like

I dunno about that. Dune Part One isnā€™t in the IMDB top 250.

72702a22-8421-4c43-8f54-fc21a4877796_text

Seeing shit like this was putting it in my head:

Admittedly, I should have gone to see the number of votes propping it up before actually fearing weā€™d have a Dark Knight fiasco.

So yeah, that sample size is nothing and youā€™re probably right. I do expect based on the hype that it will be, at minimum, really good, and hopefully great.

1 Like

What if it really is that good though?

What if itā€™s really one of the best five films ever created? Iā€™m in favor of that. Iā€™m also in favor of myself winning the lottery. (I regret my choices in creating this very hypothetical scenario. I no longer believe itā€™s going to Dark Knight the top of the IMDb rankings.)

Cheers if either happens :grin:

Villeneuve might be my favorite current director, i havenā€™t seen his early french films but heā€™s batting 1.000 from Prisoners on.

Scorsese comes to mind for me too. Iā€™ve enjoyed most Fincher but I havenā€™t seen some of the post 2000 stuff.

2 Likes

I think Fincherā€™s apex mountain will ultimately prove to be Gone Girl in 2014. He was coming off a rush of hits and then delivered a series-long aesthetic on all levels for House of Cards. But since then Iā€™ve had no taste for Mank or Killer.

Dune (2021)
ā€œThereā€™s a shot that Iā€™m really fond of. We see his (Paulā€™s) first footsteps in the desert. Time becomes still, and I tried to create it as if it was like the first footstep of the man on the moon. Itā€™s the idea that a character will suddenly immerse himself in a new dimension, stepping into the unknown and feeling the compression of time in that moment where you just follow one footstep after the other. The camera is just above the sand, and then you see him kneeling in the sand and grabbing up a scoop of sand in his hand.

Thereā€™s something so honest about feet and hands in the way itā€™s absolutely pure. I love shots of hands for that. Itā€™s like thereā€™s something there. You cannot lie. Itā€™s like a direct relationship with reality. The action and reality conveyed by the hands I love.ā€

2 Likes

If dune 2 is as good as the reviews, Villeneuve is in the running for greatest run of films ever. Has he made one bad movie?

2 Likes

Villeneuve hasnā€™t really missed, but Iā€™m not near as enamored with his stuff as others seemingly are. Unless Dune 2 gets there, I donā€™t think heā€™s really approached elite film status in any of his works. I see a bunch of stuff ranging from decent to good, ranging up toward really good with Sicario and Prisoners. Arrival was fine. Original Dune was fine.

I donā€™t think this run is anywhere on the level of, e.g., Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Django Unchained, Hateful Eight, and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. And I wasnā€™t much of a fan of Hateful Eight.

2 Likes