Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

MGM is an Amazon studio now, so yeah it’s very easy to get it on prime. Wouldn’t be surprised if they rolled into Prime 100% some time soon.

1 Like

After you were pretty meh on both Killers of the Flower Moon and Past Lives, I have no idea what to expect here, but I’m hoping for the best.

1 Like

Be prepared to also take a nap

1 Like

For those looking to watch it in Canada it’s on Prime Video here.

2 Likes

Loved Oppenheimer. Incredibly immersive and believable. Expertly paced. Outstanding performances from everyone. I haven’t felt this impressed by Nolan in a long time.

Is it as good as Shrek? No, but few films ever will be.

2 Likes

Awesome. Glad it hit for you. It’s really no small thing that I’m one of the most enthusiastic champions of a Nolan project; historically I’m really far from being one of his hardcore fans. But this one was just undeniable.

1 Like

I’m glad to see him back in such good form. Dunkirk and Tenet just did nothing for me. But the rest of his movies are so so so good.

1 Like

But, and this is important: did you immediately clock Dougie from The Curse when he showed up?

1 Like

I did not. Lol now his big smile is even funnier.

1 Like

Has he ever eclipsed Memento. Serious question.

1 Like

Yes. But Memento is great and better than Inception.

Nope. He is the poster boy for the negative correction of more budget equaling a worse movie.

This isnt true at all.

Also, The Prestige always gets criminally underrated.

6 Likes

I watched Memento just last week, and it didn’t do as much for me as my first viewing 20 years or so ago. I would rather rewatch Inception, but I also prefer films with strong visuals. Memento looks like it was mostly shot in a shoebox despite Wally Pfister’s best efforts.

1 Like

I can’t think of any examples of a directors best film being the biggest budget.

I haven’t checked, but off the top of my head how about Peter Jackson? LOTR series was his best work, imo. For a fair comparison we would need to inflation adjust all of his budgets.

Denis Villeneuve is killing it with big budget movies (Blade Runner and Dune) but his early low budget stuff is great too. Basically anything he does is great

1 Like

He is one of my favorite directors but I thought Dune was very boring.

I’d say Inception and The Prestige are both better, though that’s more about the new level they achieved. Memento is still excellent and perfectly executed. It’s hard to rate good Nolan movies against each other because when they’re good, they’re damn near perfect.

It’s easier to rate the bad ones against each other. Like yes Dark Knight Rises is bad, but it’s easily levels above Tenet.

I liked the prestige a lot too

2 Likes