Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Yeah, I’m not interested in seeing this anymore, but I’ll happily keep enjoying her promotional tour.

https://twitter.com/SeanFennessey/status/1755412287190622331

I want to argue and say her career has thrived, but unlike Kristen Stewart, I’m not as familiar with anything else she’s been in despite thinking she’s a damn fine actress

I’m definitely watching Madame Webb when possible. I can’t say no to a good train wreck, and I’m genuinely curious what they do with these Spider ladies from the trailer.

She did a good job in Our Friend, a tour de force of emotional manipulation that shouldn’t have worked but I found ultimately did. No more of Casey Affleck as a sad boy though, please.

1 Like

The real question IMO is, will the Madame Web reception be bad enough to derail her upcoming movie which apparently involves a love triangle between her, Pedro Pascal, and Chris Evans?

1 Like

See that’s where I think her talent saves her. She is a damn fine actress even in bad roles. I thought she was hilarious in Five Year Engagement.

I don’t know if you’ve tried out The Midnight Boys yet, but since you’re a Van Lathan fan, this might be worth a go (it does get into movie spoilers):

It’s had me laughing from the jump.

1 Like

Even better!

Happy Oppenheimer streaming day to all the recalcitrant souls who deprived themselves of the theater experience. I suppose you’ve all suffered long enough. (It’s on Peacock now.)

2 Likes

American Fiction

Knew nothing about this going in. What I got was a gripping family drama, some biting social commentary and a bunch of comedy in all the right places. I’m not so sure about that ending, but maybe that’s the point.

Maybe the fact that I liked it so much makes me one of those white people they’re making fun of. If I am, so be it.

9/10

5 Likes

I am one of those souls, and plan to be less deprived at some point this weekend. I’ll probably watch The Color Purple too, since that is apparently on Max now.

2 Likes

That’s a strong weekend lineup. I’d happily swap The Color Purple into the BP field over Maestro. I mean, that’s true of a bunch of movies, but still.

3 Likes

We watched Rustin last night. Fantastic story about a guy you’ve probably never heard of involved in events you know well. Colman Domingo richly deserved the Oscar nom for his brilliant performance here, and I wouldn’t mind seeing him win even though my heart is still with Giamatti this year. It’s on Netflix.

1 Like

Oppenheimer on deck for the weekend. Really hoping American Fiction hits streaming soon, but probably have at least a 3 month wait

2 Likes

Looks like American Fiction will be on MGM+ on March 8. Shame that it will be hidden on a service that I assume has about 20 subscribers worldwide and that people mostly won’t be aware that it’s available on there, but there should be a way for you to see it with a free trial at that point.

1 Like

Yeab I think Apple tv has an MGm + trial option. Ill use it then. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll be able to watch Oppie until a weekday. My significant other outright refuses to watch it :sob:

Good to hear about MGM!!

MGM+ is just what the premium cable TV station Epix is called now. It has quite a few subscribers but I think you might be a cord cutter. There are some definite good TV shows on Epix that are worth picking up a month long subscription for if you decide to do that (Berlin Station, Get Shorty, Counterpart that I think was on Starz might be included, and the bizarro often hilarious show that went on a long downhill slide from a pretty brilliant start, Perpetual Grace Ltd.).

She’s taking a nap…so I’m making a run for it! Let’s see how far I make it into Oppenheimer. I’m prepared to be amazed.

2 Likes

If this includes disconnecting from full cable in favor of intermittently subscribing to live TV streaming services to be able to watch live sports, yes.

Doesn’t look like Fubo has Epix.

You might be able to get it through Amazon Prime

Edited to Add:

https://www.mgmplus.com/choose-plan

It appears you can do direct streaming with them.