Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Saltburn

I’m not sure what that was trying to be, but it didn’t hit the mark. The big “reveal” wasn’t anything special, and what came before it wasn’t very intriguing. Maybe I wasn’t in the right mood for it, or maybe my expectations were too high coming off Promising Young Woman.

I don’t rule out the possibility that a rewatch would change my mind, but I don’t feel like doing that anytime soon.

Music fucking slapped though.

4/10

3 Likes

I rewatch all sorts of things, even things I didn’t much like the first time, but I feel supremely confident that Saltburn wouldn’t get better for me on second go. It seems to have conjured up a bunch of buzz just by being faux-provocative.

1 Like

I didn’t bother watching all of this. I rarely bail on films but this was not worth my time.

FYP

The opening submarine sequence for Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning is perfect, but the rest of the movie was just okay. I think the peak of MI in hindsight will be the moment Tom Cruise shorted a jump and broke his foot.

Argyle looked semi-interesting. Jeremy Jahns says no.

I had talked myself into caving despite my annoyance with the oversaturation of the trailer and giving it a try, but this initial reaction (beyond just Jahns, but I watched that earlier too) is probably going to keep me away. 2 hours and 20 minutes with what feels like a ceiling of “that was okay” is a bit above my tolerance to try a movie out.

Yep, seems like its too long, for a pseudo-action/comedy, I think 1:50 should really be the ceiling, unless its exceptional in some way. Spy was 2:10 but totally made it work

Ooooo, just saw he did a review of Blue Eye Samurai.

He did it pretty much how he was supposed to, as he wanted to do the action movie “hanging onto the edge” bit, his foot just bit the building too hard.

1 Like

On a recent Bill Simmons podcast, Larry David lightly roasted Simmons for not announcing The Rewatchables films in advance, so maybe the ribbing will get to him.

1 Like

I’m beginning to have real regrets about softly and reluctantly mumbling kind words about Air. Please devote studio resources to any other subgenre of movie.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1753063926433190011

1 Like

Caught up on this now. Bill even seemed to be willing to concede the point a little. Will love Larry David even more if these things suddenly start getting announced up front after the slate of live shows come out over the next few weeks.

1 Like

I have a new article with Script Magazine on movies and TV shows featuring Dissociative Identity Disorder.

4 Likes

The Incredible Hulk is totally fine until he gets angry. Then he turns green and gets real strong. Combine that with the aforementioned anger and it is a recipe for disaster.

1 Like

1 Like

4 Likes

I wish every episode of Rewatchables had Van Lathan.

1 Like

Love Van every time. But I also wouldn’t want to get rid of any of the default main three. And I think three is the right number, so I don’t want them to try to clog things up with a fourth.

I’ve just learned to see it as a special occasion when they have Van on.

1 Like