Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Night Swim is going to release in a pretty standard dead movie spot (Jan 5) but a James Wan directed, Kerry Condon starring vehicle is something I gotta give a try to

1 Like

I hope itā€™s good. Mostly because Aquaman 2 is not going to do well, and I donā€™t think that should reflect too much on James Wan.

But alsoā€¦neat premise!

Brilliant concept for a movie.

Ferrari (2023)

Beautiful to look at and a few amazing scenes but doesnā€™t add up to a ton. Mostly a bummer because itā€™s spends 90% of its runnungtime obsessing over who slept with who and not with cars.

Grade: B-

Whatā€™s the point of fighting over the ISS in a full scale nuclear war?

1 Like

It looks fucking awful. Unless the reviews come in very positive, Iā€™m taking a pass.

Re: Blue Eye Samurai/Randall Park

Alright Iā€™ve started watching this now, andā€¦I donā€™t think I like him being in there. If heā€™s not going to play funny then I just find his usually welcome presence kind of distracting. Independent of my experience though, Iā€™m glad he got a part in another successful project.

1 Like

Yeah its a shame, his character is very important, but also probably the weakest part of the show.

Right, which I assume is correct based off its release date alone, but maybe. We should know based on when the review embargo lifts. Tuesday, chance of an ok film. Thursday and it will be massive garbage

1 Like

Off this week so doing a movie marathon. On deck are Talk to Me, the Holdovers and Anatomy of a Fall.

On the off chance that youā€™re readying to pay the rental cost for The Holdovers, FYI that it will be on Peacock on Friday.

2 Likes

We donā€™t get peacock in Canada. Or Hulu. :weary:

Thanks for the heads up though.

1 Like

I couldnā€™t make it more than a half an hour through Maestro. I expected to know more about his creative genius, how he got famous, etc. and all I got was a disjointed uninteresting view of someoneā€™s love life that I couldnā€™t care less about.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1740041852852879661

1 Like

I thought Maestro was alright, but it was definitely a slow starter and it had off-putting ā€œBradley Cooper jerks off to the thought of himself winning an Oscarā€ vibes. That said, he did a really strong acting job in it, as did Carey Mulligan.

Can somebody tell me what is happening with Mean Girls? Is this a sequel? A reboot? Something else? Why the fuck does it have the same name as the original?

1 Like

Reboot, I guess? Seems like itā€™s an adaptation of a stage musical which was a spin on the original. It looks like the cast is all or at least mostly new.

Same reason as Scream 5 just being named Scream. (I donā€™t know what that reason is.)

1 Like

@CanadaMatt3004

Itā€™s a film adaptation of the musical with a few changes. The person playing Regina is the person who played her on Broadway. Iā€™m hyped for it!! Chicago the film might finally have a competitor.

1 Like

Violent Night is indeed quite violent. Also a surprisingly decent flick :+1:

1 Like