Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

That’s a fair point about the ending scene.

As far as what movie I thought it was emulating for the ending to make sense, I just thought things went a little too easily for him, such as in the scene you mention, which led me to think none of this was real, it was all a fantasy of what he thinks he’d be capable of with repressed ego and grandiosity.

Rosamund Pike was great!!

The other possibility I was thinking would happen was what happened in Joker. I would have said ah yes that’s fine if the movie had transitioned to him returning to school, he runs into Felix, still alive, and Felix very clearly doesn’t know him.

https://twitter.com/Morbidful/status/1738250276652359846

wut

Home Alone

5/5

Eat your heart out Kubrick

3 Likes

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1737884653447520738?s=20

RIP to a real one. You know what, these movies were badly made but they were badly made in ways that were endlessly hilarious. It’s a modern camp classic. It’s just not easy being a DC fan.

1 Like

Doom Patrol is awesome though

New DC looks to be a better fun camp.

The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker were so much better than they had any right being.

Apart from Spiderverse 3, I am looking forward more to see what DC has to offer than Marvel.

But if Spiderverse 3 sticks the landing it will be extremely high on my favorite trilogies of all time.

1 Like

Definitely still planning to give the James Gunn DCU a chance. Fingers crossed for Superman (whatever it will be called) in 2025. It’s good that both Marvel and DC are at least slowing down in 2024.

1 Like

Man does that suck for the director. Tapped to make the next sequel when suddenly he lost both of the primary actors.

“A dream that turned into a nightmare.”

One of the christmas classics here is Little Lord Fauntleroy with Alec Guinness. This time the tv magazine has an info box for the actor of the little boy: Ricky Schroder. Turns out he turned into a nutjob who donated for the bail of Kyle Rittenhouse.

Elf remains a top tier Xmas movie. So good.

If anyone hasn’t seen it yet, Better Watch Out is the R-rated version of Home Alone. What a ride. Free on Tubi or ad-free on Prime.

It’s like what if Home Alone and Scream had a baby.

Thoughts on the really creepy Babysitter/Babysat relationship at the heart of the story? I like the trap stuff, but its really hard to get into this movie even though there isn’t any reciprocation from the babysitter. I have a similar problem with “The Babysitter”

1 Like

I watched Cocaine Bear last night. Very enjoyable. Not overly gory, and many of the jump-scares were pretty funny.

3 Likes

I’m confused about this, Matt. Maybe I’m misreading it. Are you bothered that the younger kid being babysat has a crush on the babysitter? Isn’t that pretty normal? When I was 11 I had a 16 year old babysitter named Theresa and I thought she was just about the coolest person ever. One of us was in love :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :rofl:

Now if the babysitter in these movies reciprocates, that’s obviously a different thing. I’ve seen both The Babysitter and Better Watch Out. I didn’t find anything bothersome in that regard, didn’t even cross my mind.

1 Like

Banged out Home Alone 1 and 2 yesterday as one does each Christmas lol. Loved every minute of it.

4 Likes

Its not so much that its a crush. That is whatever, but the entire premise of the movie is that this kid is going to commit serious violence to get into his babysitter’s pants, whether she wants it or not. Its a bit too sexually violent for my tastes, especially considering the ages of the parties involved.

I get it, its fiction. I personally don’t like it but I’m not telling anybody to not watch it. Was just curious RF’s thoughts on that particular angle.

2 Likes

I was disturbed by it, but it was okay for me because it makes sense for the younger guy to have a crush on her. As long as it’s not reciprocated or consummated without reciprocation. Idk if the movie is better for including that element.

I also enjoyed The Babysitter. That was the movie I watched with my partner on our first date in 2017 :grin:

When it comes to younger kids having crushes, sure. But my stomach turns a little harder for something like the teenage relationship in What Women Want where his daughter is 15 and the boyfriend is 18. Gross.

1 Like

1 Like

It’s so silly. I mean, the true story it’s “based” on is exciting/crazy enough.

Fun fact, I have a “two degrees of separation” story from this guy. Basically, one of my good friends and former skydiving coaches taught Thornton to skydive and unknowingly supplied the parachutes he used to dump the drugs:

https://www.celebstoner.com/blogs/steve-bloom/2023/02/26/ohio-skydiver-knew-cocaine-bear-smuggler-drew-thornton/

2 Likes

The Color Purple is great. I’ve never seen the 1985 film, haven’t seen the stage play, haven’t read the book, so I went in more ignorant of the story than most of the audience will, and I really didn’t know what to expect; I was cautiously optimistic just because the early word of mouth was good and I’m a sucker for a good musical, but this exceeded even the optimism I brought into it.

It’s not without its flaws - it has some pretty clear pacing issues - but the positives far outweighed the negatives. Thoroughly enjoyed/appreciated all of the performances, save for one key appearance late in the movie for one scene that feels like a miscast, the musical numbers worked, I definitely recommend this.

It’s been taking hits in the smaller awards fields that tend to predict the Oscars, but it’s been unexpectedly crushing in the box office so far, so maybe it can regain some momentum and get into the Best Picture field. I didn’t expect to care whether or not it did, but now I definitely hope it does.

1 Like