Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

For real! The original was great.

1 Like

Leave the World Behind

7/10

A ok apocalypse film. The acting is what saves it, otherwise it’s not too interesting. It was aiming for a more cerebral film as opposed to an action firm but doesn’t quite have that

1 Like

I was chatting with some scientists today about AI superintelligence and potentially creating biological superintelligence by genetically engineering an elephant or whale to have a more human brain, and their extremely large brains, if rewired properly, could have godlike intelligence.

But someone pointed out that a lot of that brain size is to control the many more muscles in their super large bodies. And i thought of the guild navigators in david lynch’s dune. But nobody had seen david lynch’s dune. I tried describing a giant fetus floating in a massive liquid-filled tank with no physical or even self life-support capabilities. Kinda killed the vibe. Probably why villeneuve didn’t show them in the remake.

4 Likes

This is about where we landed after watching it last night. Some pretty great Barbarian-esque vibes in the first third, but the last third has some pretty heavy handed “We all have to come together as Americans” preaching that took me out of what was otherwise a perfectly enjoyable, well acted movie.

1 Like

Not far off from your take. I thought it was utter nonsense, but that the leads were a good enough hang that it was pretty watchable. Mahershala Ali is irresistible in everything. I give it a 6/10.

1 Like

This was the best horror film of the year, but why a remake?

1 Like

Yeah, its all in English, right? Doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like

Idk. I am interested to see what Blumhouse does with it. I’m not sure what that would be though besides making it a little more palatable.

Now I’m with you. I don’t see what they can do with this that won’t feel redundant. Maybe surprise everyone and film it in French or something.

1 Like

Alex Garland’s filmography is incredible. I am here for whatever he makes next.

1 Like

Had to go look up how someone can be an uncredited director. Apparently the rules are that you can only have one credited director so if you have more than one they get a producer credit

1 Like

Curious. I had to look up what happened. Karl Urban says he took direction from Garland instead of the named director, and he considers Dredd to be Garland’s directorial debut over Ex Machina.

Just watched Speak No Evil because of the post yesterday and I remember talk about it on here in the past. The concept was interesting and I loved how it was filmed but watching the stupid fucking family (especially Bjorn) was so frustrating it kind of ruined the movie for me, I didn’t even feel bad for them.

1 Like

I’ve just done a Monsterverse catch-up and have enjoyed.

Godzilla Minus One is fucking art. Pulled the heart strings hard. The end of war and post-war themes ring true. The friendship/family/love elements are just right.

You’re so right. Especially at the end. It was just so hard to believe someone would literally do nothing.

Barbie has the best Godfather joke since You’ve Got Mail.

It was an excellent movie, especially considering the title and how bad the previous version would have been, but not sure if I’ll ever see it again.

1 Like

I fear that you didn’t process the You’ve Got Mail sequence as Meg Ryan’s character coming off terribly for not knowing a basic Godfather reference.

1 Like

Well that’s true, but I’m biased. I didn’t get the reference either. The references I do get now are 100% because of the explanations from Tom Hanks. I don’t think I’ve seen any of the Godfather movies from start to finish.

Oh God, it’s getting worse. We really are in that Family Guy scene now.

1 Like

1 Like

Long ago someone gave me a boxed set of the original Godfather trilogy. I always looked back on that as proof they didn’t know me very well, but now I think I missed their kind suggestion to educate myself.