Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Or you could pay someone to off you while getting you off.

Unhappy ending

Happy Poor Things on Hulu day to all who haven’t seen it yet.

3 Likes

oh sweet, I just saw it as Buy only on Amazon yesterday and thought “I know this is coming to streaming soon but dont remember when”

Its on Disney in Canada

2 Likes

If you’ve seen Oppenheimer, come add your answers to our Rewatchables thread.

edit: stupid paywall

The complete top 10 is below, along with how much they were paid:

1. Adam Sandler, $73 million ($97 million gross)
  2. Margot Robbie, $59 million ($78 million gross)
  3. Tom Cruise, $49 million ($53 million gross)
  4. Ryan Gosling, $43 million ($50 million gross)
  5. Matt Damon, $43 million ($50 million gross)
  6. Jennifer Aniston, $42 million ($56 million gross)
  7. Leonardo DiCaprio $41 million ($48 million gross)
  8. Jason Statham, $41 million ($48 million gross)
  9. Ben Affleck, $38 million ($45 million gross)
  10. Denzel Washington, $24 million ($28 million gross)

HAHA

https://x.com/MadisonKittay/status/1765961090318409855?s=20

3 Likes

I seems like Jack Black is out there living his best life

2 Likes

Tom Cruise needs a better agent.

He probably had a good profit sharing deal on the latest Mission Impossible movie. The problem is they spent a ton on it (partly because they paid the crew through COVID), and it didn’t perform as well at the box office as expected

Paywall, but it’s my understanding that 1. Sandler is partially a function of him cranking out four movies in a year. I think he does well financially every time out, but I don’t think he’s making anything obscene on a per-project basis relative to his peers.

Yeah, just an all time blunder putting Mission Impossible out basically the same time as barbie/oppenheimer. Cost that film $200 million

I hope Statham is saving those big bucks considering how difficult he is to work with, which may begin affecting his work longevity

Looking at this some more, the budget is reported to be $291 million, with worldwide box office of $568 million. That means it likely didn’t turn a profit at the box office, once you factor in marketing and the studios only getting part of the box office take.

This one is weird because when they shut down filming for Covid Cruise made sure everyone involved still got paid. So that added tens of millions to the budget.

Worse than this but not as bad as I would have thought.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/imaginary

Watched Io Capitano and unlocked Eyebooger Premium 2024.

It was decent, but I definitely felt like the first half was better than the second half, so a bit of a letdown coming out. Frankly it had a lot in common with Society of the Snow - while IMO being a bit better - so I’m inclined to tether the two in terms of recommendation if a person has seen one or the other. But again I think this is the better film of the two.

Officially, I would swap SotS and Io Capitano out of Best International Feature in favor of The Taste of Things and The Promised Land. As is, Perfect Days is my favorite in the category, but The Zone of Interest’s inevitable win is fine.

2 Likes

Damn, had high hopes for this one. Would have seen it by now, but it’s rare for movies like that to come to a theater near me.

I don’t even have a great specific criticism of why the second half was worse; it just lost steam for me after I was pretty captivated by the first half. It should be said that it’s a beautifully shot film throughout. I’m definitely not recommending against it or anything.

2 Likes