Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

Never seen it, but Batman was so influential. It was the first time mainstream folks saw Batman as a grimdark hero.

2 Likes

Canā€™t argue with the impact of Batman. In hindsight I donā€™t like it nearly as much, it was just at the time the most serious live action version of the character, so it had a huge impact.

Can the quality of the movies be separated from their legacy? I rewatched Sleepy Hollow and am not sure which one I like more.

Neil Patrick Harris in Gone Girl remains a truly bizarre casting choice.

Why? Seemed to work fine.

Iā€™m guessing itā€™s just a function of me spending too many hours with his screwball HIMYM character. Even though there was no particular flaw in his performance, him being in that role was difficult for me to buy. Maybe thatā€™s a me issue.

Havenā€™t seen either in 20 years but yeah that was my opinion as a teenage Tim Burton fan (saw and enjoyed Sleepy Hollow multiple times, Batman only once and was meh). Batman Returns much better than either though.

1 Like

Watched this now, itā€™s great. I think I might slightly prefer The Taste of Things? But thatā€™s very close.

Right now would rank the Best International nominees in this order:
Perfect Days
The Zone of Interest
The Teachersā€™ Lounge
Society of the Snow

Seeing Io Capitano on Friday.

1 Like

Just got back from seeing Dune2. Wife loved it (sheā€™s read the books, I havenā€™t). I didnā€™t really know what was going on a lot of the time (most of this has to do with how ridiculous I think the plot is). Sound and Vision was superb. And the Elvis guy plays a great psychopath.

1 Like

Elvis guy is in a motorcycle gang movie with GOAT tom hardy, saw the preview during Dune I will definitely be watching it. Also has Jodie Comer from Killing Eve who Iā€™m a big fan of.

1 Like

Blumhouseā€™s Imaginary releases Friday and is review embargoed until tomorrow.

Guess the RT score.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/imaginary

1 Like

0% one time

Dune Pt2 was of course incredible. Mr. Villeneuve even complimented my choice of dolby over IMAX before the showing started, what a guy

1 Like

I havenā€™t seen any Dune movie, old or new. Definitely not seeing them now:

https://twitter.com/michaelianblack/status/1765616506300162436

3 Likes

Gimme this instead, please

This makes an appearance in the Peacock series Mrs. Davis

1 Like

Finally watched it a couple weeks ago, split into two sittings (not because ā€œI canā€™t watch it, itā€™s too long,ā€ but because something came up and by the time we were ready to watch again, it was getting late). First half I thought was definitely good, but couldnā€™t figure out why it was winning everything and everyone thought it was the GOAT. Very good, yes, but I was worried it was overhyped.

I figured it out in the second half. Really got rolling. Iā€™m not as over the moon about it as others, but I definitely get it. It was great. Also loved the reveal of what Oppenheimer said to Einstein. It almost felt like the Bruce Willis reveal in The Sixth Sense.

Or you could pay someone to off you while getting you off.

Unhappy ending

Happy Poor Things on Hulu day to all who havenā€™t seen it yet.

3 Likes