Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 2)

I hate people speaking in theaters, the last few times I’ve been there’s always people who keep chatting for the first few mins after trailers, and this always gets me nervous bc I know if they don’t stop this will ruin the movie (fortunately they do stop most of the times)

In my experience the worst offenders are either teenagers or olds. My last really bad experience was with the latter during “the last duel” a few years ago. Two women in front were casually talking through the movie. My gf had whispered them a few times to stop but they’d ignored her, so at some point I decided to give a light kick to their seat to make our point. Unfortunately I’d underestimated the mobility of the seat, and it really jumped a lot. They didn’t speak after that, but I couldn’t help but feel bad about it. I also got lucky that I (randomly) hit the ~60 yo woman and not her ~80 yo mother because there’s a good chance she could have been really hurt…Anyway now I feel embarassed remembering this every time this movie is mentioned (which fortunately, is not that often).

2 Likes

Just saw Dune on a Cinemark XD showing ($11 matinee) and was blown away. An amazing movie experience.

I kind of wish I hadn’t read the books since I was anticipating certain scenes, but I got to the point I just enjoyed it for what it was.

A couple differences I didn’t like:

The religious aspects and the effect it had on Chani’s and Paul’s relationship. I felt it distracted from the main plot. Also no mention of their son.

Alia should have been involved. Her killing the Baron could have been a great scene.

And some dipshit didn’t turn off his phone and at times you could hear it ringing faintly.

This song popped into my head watching them sandwalk:

lol Emperor Shaddam IV dancing…

2 Likes

Didn’t like the Walken casting as Emperor at all, probably my biggest beef with the movie.

4 Likes

Is Sleepy Hollow (1999) a better Tim Burton movie than Batman (1989)?

Come answer the Rewatchables categories for Dune (1984) and Dune (2021).

Timely conversation ITT last night. Tonight I went to the latest AMC Screen Unseen, which I knew was likely to be - and was - One Life, starring Anthony Hopkins. It looks good.

Unfortunately, when all that’s advertised is a mystery PG movie, a bunch of parents got inspired to bring their children to the theater with no intention of controlling them. And then there were numerous other loud talkers spread throughout the theater. I shot a glare at the people right behind me, and they stopped, but it was quickly clear that this was a relatively worthless victory in the face of this bullshit going on throughout the theater.

I was not going to abide this atmosphere for a quiet, heavy Holocaust-related drama, and didn’t want the first watch of a potentially good movie ruined by a total collapse of social graces all around me, so I sighed in despair and walked out. Between the subject matter and the movie being one that was clearly not going to provide a loud soundtrack that would drown people out, this was the worst sort of scenario for getting a crowd like this. In hindsight, perhaps I should have realized the potential pitfall of attending a mystery PG movie.

Most theater crowds here are not bad at all, but this was a greasefire.

I guess this doesn’t render the video but Dune fans will def get a laugh if they click.

I had looked into this I didn’t know it would be movies like that but yea that sucks

Never seen it, but Batman was so influential. It was the first time mainstream folks saw Batman as a grimdark hero.

2 Likes

Can’t argue with the impact of Batman. In hindsight I don’t like it nearly as much, it was just at the time the most serious live action version of the character, so it had a huge impact.

Can the quality of the movies be separated from their legacy? I rewatched Sleepy Hollow and am not sure which one I like more.

Neil Patrick Harris in Gone Girl remains a truly bizarre casting choice.

Why? Seemed to work fine.

I’m guessing it’s just a function of me spending too many hours with his screwball HIMYM character. Even though there was no particular flaw in his performance, him being in that role was difficult for me to buy. Maybe that’s a me issue.

Haven’t seen either in 20 years but yeah that was my opinion as a teenage Tim Burton fan (saw and enjoyed Sleepy Hollow multiple times, Batman only once and was meh). Batman Returns much better than either though.

1 Like

Watched this now, it’s great. I think I might slightly prefer The Taste of Things? But that’s very close.

Right now would rank the Best International nominees in this order:
Perfect Days
The Zone of Interest
The Teachers’ Lounge
Society of the Snow

Seeing Io Capitano on Friday.

1 Like

Just got back from seeing Dune2. Wife loved it (she’s read the books, I haven’t). I didn’t really know what was going on a lot of the time (most of this has to do with how ridiculous I think the plot is). Sound and Vision was superb. And the Elvis guy plays a great psychopath.

1 Like

Elvis guy is in a motorcycle gang movie with GOAT tom hardy, saw the preview during Dune I will definitely be watching it. Also has Jodie Comer from Killing Eve who I’m a big fan of.

1 Like

Blumhouse’s Imaginary releases Friday and is review embargoed until tomorrow.

Guess the RT score.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/imaginary

1 Like