Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

This guy’s cameo made The Flash movie worth every penny.

Nic Cage Superman

2 Likes

Holy shit did he just kill Shelob?

3 Likes

So I’m watching some surrealist J-horror

Pulse (2001, don’t confuse this with Pulse 2006)

is just one of the best ghost stories I’ve seen in ages, Criterion should at least consider this. I started watching expecting it to be a basic 2000s The Ring knockoff. What I got instead was a heavy surrealist film about isolation and technology with a clear David Lynch influence. Great use of lighting and camera work and low-budget effects to make some really effective moments.

Jigoku (1960)

Maybe the biggest third act twist I’ve seen in a movie, you have a noir drama that instantly turns into a shockingly graphic depiction of the eight Buddhist hells. Surreal, wild, gory, pretty memorable film.

3 Likes

Along those lines - the film taking a more troubling turn late, culminating in the most gruesome, upsetting ending - Looking for Mr. Goodbar for me, for my situation

You seen Cleopatra 1963?

1 Like

Lol Caesar Goat in retort to the eager young ideologues of tomorrow

‘There never has been help, there never will be help.’

No is it good? It’s discussed so much that I feel like I have sort of seen it via small two second clips with narration explaining why it led to xyz movie…

1 Like

Haha there are so many movies called Pulse.

I have been researching an article about reassessing movies that were received as incredibly transphobic at the time but may have a lot to hold on to on hindsight.

Pulse 2017 made the cut :grin:

https://tubitv.com/movies/542740/pulse?start=true

A review from a trans woman:

As for trans: to be honest, I doubt that most trans folk would view this film as containing, in any sense, an authentic trans narrative. But the selfish motivation for transitioning – which is how a body swap will likely be viewed - the idea that a gay person will swap genders just so they can get to sleep with their boy crush, combined with Ollie’s gender dishonesty: these are all commonplace as tropes already, explored ad nauseam by mainstream press and transphobes on a daily basis. And however much the film’s director protests this is not a trans film, that is how it will be read by wider audiences.

Vs other reviews

He incinerated the thing :flushed::flushed::flushed:

I feel like I’d watch the whole movie, but I think this full montage proves most of these are great little shots like this but can’t really be more fulfilling than this, even if you make a whole movie.

Hands up, anyone who had Tom Cruise being a fucking scab

Shocker, an image obsessed narcissist scientologist only thinking about themselves?

1 Like

Yes. It’s immense

1 Like

Nice. This the same one on MAX? I’ll fire it up.

This is fake news, the Tom cruise stuff was negotiations from weeks ago to try and prevent this, not like, being a scab.

Alright I probably jumped the gun then. Got a link? Ill edit it into my original post.

1 Like

I mean he did a bunch of screenings before the strike, zero since. The article is wildly missing mentioning a single scab action.

1 Like

Never again will I see a movie aimed at a younger audience in a packed theater. Wife wanted to see Oppenheimer and Barbie on opening night and here in Bucharest, Barbie came out a night earlier. It’s pretty much an awful experience with kids constantly checking phones, cracking jokes and laughing at unrelated stuff to the movie, and one couple even had a convo pretty much the entire movie. Like why even go if that’s the case?

Probably won’t be much better for Oppenheimer with an adult crowd b/c many people seem like inconsiderate dicks these days, but we’ll see.

Cue GrampaSimpsonShakesFist.jpg

6 Likes

I was forced into seeing The Lion King back in the day. Best part of the movie was when the kid in front of me spilled a giant bag of m&m’s. It’s an oddly satisfying sound. Tried to sleep through it, but my gf kept elbowing me as I was about to nod off.

1 Like

I tried to stick to the facts in this, but I couldn’t help but take a few shots at Tom Cruise.

Lots of links for recent coverage in the description.

He did ask SAG for permission to promote though, right? Citing something about the dire state of the theaters since the pandemic?

1 Like

As purely anecdotal as this is, I’ll take it as support for my view that a person should never even consider going to the theater in the first two weeks of a movie that is even remotely inclusive of kids.

This post made me think that perhaps I should finally consider going out and seeing Spiderverse since the coast is as clear as it’s going to get…but it turns out the coast is too clear. It’s gone. Ah well.