Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Without fail, the first thirty seconds of this trailer inevitably sends me to just watch the whole movie again

2 Likes

So this is a prequel to Dufresne snapping and killing his wife?

1 Like

The notion that Andy Dufresne could break the will of a legislator into providing way more books for prisons through a relentless individual letter-writing campaign was certainly something.

1 Like

LOL maybe so

The soundtrack is awesome.

It’s a movie that shows the huge disparity between audiences and critics.

Rotten Tomatoes: 31%
CinemaScore: A-

Their heists aren’t anywhere near as elaborate as Heat or anything, but it’s a fun movie!

I’ve always liked this critic/audience split (I’ve never seen it, so can’t judge either way):

1 Like

I don’t think I have seen that since I saw it in the theater.

1 Like

Its not my thing but Paddington was widely praised especially the sequel, 7.8 imdb crushes 99% of movies.

1 Like

Yeah, they are actually both very solid family movies.

1 Like

Remember that time a critic destroyed the one source of hope we’d all gathered around

The negative review described Paddington as “a sinister, malevolent imposter who should be shot into space”

2 Likes
4 Likes

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL when it cuts to him crying :laughing:

“Paddington 2 is incredible.”

“I ***ing told you.”

My buddy Michael got to interview Nicolas Cage and a bunch of people Nic has worked with over the decades.

This is the part where Cage talked to Michael about making The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent.

“By far the greatest challenge in doing this for 45 years was trying to play some version of a character that had my actual name in Massive Talent ,” Cage tells EW. “That one was like a high-wire act that could very well have led to a massive fall and creative death if it didn’t work.” In Massive Talent , Cage’s career is on the downslope as he nears 60. He’s no longer the wavy-haired rebel in a snakeskin jacket from Wild at Heart . A younger, CGI de-aged Nicky Cage reminds him of this — that he’s “Nick f—ing Cage,” a star who needs another great role to show the world he hasn’t gone anywhere. He owes the Sunset Tower $600,000, his relationship with daughter Addy (Lily Mo Sheen) and ex-wife Olivia (Sharon Horgan) is on the rocks, and he fails to land a role in David Gordon Green’s new movie. Strapped for money, he takes a $1 million offer to attend a birthday party hosted by billionaire and die-hard fan Javi (Pedro Pascal) in Majorca.

“We were shooting the movie in the midst of the pandemic, pre-vaccines, and effective treatments, in two countries,” Massive Talent executive producer Samson Mucke ( Happy Death Day 2U , Miss Bala , Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones ) says. “All Nic required was workout equipment, a fridge full of Red Bulls and one roast chicken a day to keep him going.” The action launches into a storyline straight out of National Treasure involving two CIA agents, Vivian (Tiffany Haddish) and Martin (Ike Barinholtz), and a kidnapping gone awry. Throwbacks streak by like the '67 Ford Mustang from Gone in 60 Seconds , racing through references of everything from Leaving Las Vegas and Moonstruck to Captain Corelli’s Mandolin and Vampire’s Kiss as Cage channels his trademark roles to save the day, leaving no stone unturned in his colossal filmography. Super-fandom peaks with Javi’s shrine of prop memorabilia encased in glass — the stuffed bunny from Con Air, a chainsaw seen in Mandy , green pearls of poisonous gas from The Rock , and a Castor Troy wax dummy aiming two gold-plated pistols. “There is only one Nicolas Cage, and he’s really one of the only actors whose body of work would be able to lend itself to a film and story like this,” Massive Talent producer Kristin Burr ( Cruella , Dora and the Lost City of Gold ) proclaims. “Not a lot of actors would agree to do an extremely heightened, tabloid version of their life. He completely embraced it and totally went for it.”

1 Like

That might be the most Nic Cage thing I’ve ever read. The man is an enigma.

1 Like

Who reviews the reviewers?

2 Likes

Everyone. Lol not a soul alive let that man live down tarnishing Paddington 2’s perfect 100% score. Rotten Tomatoes has never recovered.

What are we doing? Moving around chairs on the Titanic?

3 Likes

The Nic Cage chatter reminds me of a funny story that Joanna Robinson (now of The Ringer) told on an episode of Trial by Content a couple of months ago.

“I interviewed him in 2015 … he was lovely - great - but at the end, because I’m me, I asked him something about comic books, something about Superman, or whatever…I said ‘well you’re a fan of comic books,’ or something like that, because he famously is. And he - as actors sometimes do - took odd umbrage to that question. I don’t know if I phrased it in a way that made it sound like I didn’t think it was okay to be comic books; obviously I do. But he was like, ‘Yeah, I like comic books, but I’m not, like, sitting here with my tray of lemon cookies and milk and my pile of comic books!’”

It was just a good laugh to hear about this hyper-specific way he tried to bat that question away.

2 Likes

Fucking amazing

2 Likes

The Nanny takes no fucking prisoners.

1 Like

LOL!!!

Nicolas Cage is a VERY weird person.

That is not a judgment on his character. He is just obviously a very weird dude.

If you are in Vegas, you will run across him in weird places. Five or six years ago I was leaving an Italian restaurant that’s nothing special unless you know the food is good. Who’s coming out while we’re all outside waiting for a table? Yep, good old Nic with the weirdest looking hair I’ve ever seen on a human being.

Again, not bad! Just…weird.