Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

the metaphor in the snail crawling, slithering along the edge of a straight razor, and surviving :vince2:

what’s it about?

it’s probably better just to let go. you’ve got a hard shell. “that’s what the shell is for!” (most recent always sunny in philadelphia episode reference)

1 Like

So basically if Ridley Scott does not work, Joaquin Phoenix does not work, is that it?

He’s out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still in the field commanding troops.

2 Likes

Who’s the actress I’m thinking of who looks just like the French girl in MI1 - Emmanuelle Beart? I can see her in some light-hearted comedy with a comically perplexed look on her face, could be a movie or a sitcom.

He’s out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable human conduct. And he is still leading the field of GOP hopefuls

1 Like

I think it can mean negotiating life. With all our unique variables, promise and transgressions. And surviving os

Hi, I’m gene Siskel

I didn’t think it was.possible to mess up a classic franchise more than Tim Burton’s effort, but this trailer promises to lower the bar to a hidden depth of hell.

3 Likes

1 Like

That movie’s got more good stuff in it, than toast, bacon, eggs, toast

Dear God that was a long rabbit hole. There are a TON of big-eyed, big-lipped actresses. It was interesting seeing all their IMDBs. Almost all went like: 10 things you never heard of, then a few movies you heard of, then 30 more things you never heard of.

I found what I was thinking of. It was a fucking meme.

Chloë Grace Moretz

Emmanuelle Béart

2 Likes

Dang I thought of another bearer bonds but can’t remember the name.

Edit: thought it was in Den of Thieves but I am almost 100% wrong on that.

Did find a Netflix show/movie that uses them. Kaleidoscope.

Gene Wilder hit all the right notes as Wonka so it’s kinda hopeless to try to replicate, but at least Johnny Depp has a sort of personal weirdo charm factor that helped him bring some cool aspects to the role. Chalamet has none of that IMO.

1 Like

Den of Thieves was straight cash

1 Like

LOLed at the part in the Wonka trailer where it bragged about being from the director of Paddington. Ya that movie is in trouble.

Gene Wilder especially brings something indelible to the movie.

I think it’s more than that too, especially regarding Johnny Depp, whose performances have sometimes been a home run in certain movies, but he doesn’t appeal to me as an actor (and def no appeal for an abusive man like him outside his movies).

But the original Wonka movie is Wilder and more. There are a few hilarious missteps, like Cheer Up Charlie, but the rest of the movie is already a compelling experience a long time before Gene Wilder adds his presence.

The new Wonka movie feels like the last Alice in Wonderland sequel that bombed. Fascinating idea I guess, but who was the movie for? What was the movie offering besides extremely weird CGI offerings of a beloved franchise?

There’s even a cool but wasted moment in the Wonka trailer that shows it could have been a wtf exploration of madness and delirium. Wonka keeps slipping into a Waking Life kind of situation where he lives in “our” world but keeps shifting into an imaginary world of extra stuff on top like he puts on a CR headset or is doing a guest spot on Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist.

Instead, most of the movie already looks like a bad Tim Burton movie.

2 Likes

When i heard they were making this i assumed it would be primarily about rescuing the Oompa Loompas and Wonka’s descent into pseudo-madness as a recluse but this appears to have none of that.

1 Like

That would have been amazing!!!

Yeah the Hugh Grant clip has left me with zero hope for this movie ugh

“The Flash” will become the biggest flop in the 100 year history of Warner Bros. The studio will lose $200 million on it.

https://twitter.com/MikeSington/status/1675881966670090240

1 Like

I feel like ultimately I discovered I’m more a fan of Tom Cavanaugh than the show lol every time he showed up as Reverse Flash I didn’t care how bad the show was :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: