Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

3 Likes

Don’t know how this gets a recommendation without mentioning Julie Christie in the lead role and that director Cammell’s first release since Performance (which he co-directed with Nic Roeg) shares some of the same themes in a sci-fi setting.

I’m watching The Dark Knight for only the second time since I saw in theaters, then got in a fight with my girlfriend right afterwards. This movie is so brutal. Great movie but I feel like shit all over again. It’s just so dark and grinding. The Rewatchables on this better be worth it.

Time to go right into City Slickers to get my mind off this.

1 Like

Ready Player One is hot garbage

Hot take is that Indy 5 turned out better with Mangold than it would have with Spielberg

You familiar with the now defunct podcast Spill? They have imo the best review of all time for The Dark Knight. I laughed so hard and yet also felt like they really got what makes the movie amazing to experience.

Korey reformed as Double Toasted and recently reviewed The Batman.

I dug Ready Player One. Like I doubt I’ll ever care enough to rewatch it, but I thought it was pretty enjoyable in my one go at it.

1 Like

Ohhhhhhhhh. I wrote about this a while back!

Link since Medium is actually a clone of Twitter that no longer renders :sob:

I kinda feel the same way. Happy but conflicted but happy for Curtis.

The only logical way to look at this is the Oscar’s are silly political junk based very little on merit.

2 Likes

No thanks

Fair. I used to love the Oscar’s but lost my faith!

Also even after the recent attempts to diversify its still a voting pool dominated by cis white men. They are going to get it wrong more often than right.

Have you seen Joy Ride? I think you’d enjoy the humor, but also have some interesting takes about the themes of identity and chosen family/community that it explores.

Possibly.

Which of these would you say were totally undeserving of an Oscar for best film?

• 2023 - “Everything Everywhere All At Once”
  • 2022 - “CODA”
  • 2021 - “Nomadland”
  • 2020 - “Parasite”
  • 2019 - “Green Book”
  • 2018 - “The Shape of Water”
  • 2017 - “Moonlight”
  • 2016 - “Spotlight”
  • 2015 - “Birdman”
  • 2014 - “12 Years a Slave”
  • 2013 - “Argo”
  • 2012 - “The Artist”
  • 2011 - “The King’s Speech”
  • 2010 - “The Hurt Locker”
  • 2009 - “Slumdog Millionaire”
  • 2008 - “No Country for Old Men”
  • 2007 - “The Departed”
  • 2006 - “Crash”
  • 2005 - “Million Dollar Baby”
  • 2004 - “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King”

0 voters

The Dark Knight was terrific.

Shortly after that, mainstream superhero movies went PG to appeal to a younger audience. So lame.

Part of why I liked Joker was that it broke away from those PG movies. It really appealed to my taste in comic book movies.

Possibly relevant news for some folks itt

Yeah it’s a great movie. It just makes me feel anxious and depressed while I’m watching it. I don’t enjoy the experience. Not the definition of a rewatchable for me.

Have not seen. This looks funny!!! Good because the article saying Seth Rogen was laughing his head off is not exactly a guarantee lol.

Having said that if not for the article I’d say the title will forever be in contention with one of Paul Walker’s first and best movies.

Truckers gone mad was revisited in this also surprisingly excellent Russell Crowe thriller.

1 Like

Why is nobody talking about the faith based Christian values movie Freedom that tackles the taboo subject of child trafficking?

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

I’m sure my aunts have some thoughts.

Apparently one of the stories going around are the powers that be tried to suppress this movie for five years.