Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

Wow. Like someone watched Being There and said but what if it was a horror movie.

Anyone checked out these peeps yet

So it appears they’re doing Liar Liar, but not doing Devil’s Advocate, Jagged Edge, or Presumed Innocent.

Bill Simmons on Twitter: “We have one spot open for COURTROOM MONTH on @TheRewatchables this month. We’re doing 6 movies total including ‘Primal Fear’ (posted last night). Can’t decide on the 6th. So you all decide.” / Twitter

1 Like

Sigh…

my day is ruined

Gross

I enjoy Liar Liar. Even if Jim Carrey’s character definitely lies while trying to keep his assistant from walking out when he yells, “I didn’t understand the question!” The roast in the boardroom is quite entertaining. I’m in for a Rewatchables of it, though as always that hinges on who the panel is.

Of course, as Jim Carrey movies go, it should be said that society as a whole owes an apology for not recognizing how great The Cable Guy was. I’m left to assume that audiences everywhere staggered out of the theater muttering angrily about the total absence of poop jokes.

I definitely did not enjoy The Cable Guy when I saw it in theaters. But I’m also not a huge Carrey guy–I didn’t really like Ace Ventura and never had any desire to see the Mask. Looking at the Rotten Tomatoes site, the rankings seem about right. Wasn’t he the highest-paid actor in Hollywood at one point? That seems nuts to me.

1 Like

That’s awesome.

For me, Liar Liar was the movie that solidified Jim Carrey’s potential as a dramatic actor. I felt like he did so much non-goofy stuff in it that it was easy to trust his performance in whatever he did next.

Made by Tom Shadyac, who also directed Jim Carrey’s breakout hit Ace Ventura.

But Tom Shadyac had a terrible bicycle accident circa 2007 that left him with post concussion syndrome and the realization that he had to make a drastic change in his life. He tells the story in his documentary I Am.

He sold all of his material possessions and dedicated his life instead to philanthropy and education. He taught for years at the University of Boulder Colorado. He still teaches at University of Memphis.

After a long long long drought, he returned to filmmaking aligned with his new ethics by coordinating with the Innocence Project to make Brian Banks (2018), a movie based on the true story of a high school football linebacker who was falsely accused of rape, convicted, sent to prison and upon his release, attempted to fulfill his dream of making the National Football League.

Ace Ventura to Liar Liar to Brian Banks actually makes a lot of sense as a character arc when you put them in that order :+1:

Same. I loved Carrey on In Living Color, and his standup special was great. But Ace Ventura never made me laugh. Cable Guy was good.

LOL at Simon Birch.

Bar none, the biggest disappointment I’ve ever experienced in a movie theater. Probably my favorite novel, converted into absolute trash. I am legitimately angry right now just thinking about it.

1 Like

You wanna get nuts? Let’s get nuts.

He actually married (briefly) the redhead he was pointlessly pursuing in Dumb & Dumber!

1 Like

I haven’t come close to seeing that whole list, but I would certainly rank his catalog differently.

As his comedies go…
Great: Dumb and Dumber, The Cable Guy
Really Good: Liar Liar
Good: The Mask
Whatever: Grinch, Bruce Almighty
Pretty Bad: Ace Ventura 1
Abject Garbage: Ace Ventura 2, Me Myself & Irene, Fun with Dick and Jane

I don’t really like most of his non-comedy work, except for Eternal Sunshine which was really good. I don’t get the Truman Show hype, and I gave it a second watch just to see if I was wrong the first time. The Man on the Moon was just okay for me, even though I recognize that he performed well in it. Batman Forever was a miss.

I am not mystified at how big his star got for a time. I get it. I think he’s a really talented dude.

Reviews like that spared me from ever giving it a chance lol. You could argue that movie is the reason Joseph Mazzello didn’t have a bigger career after Jurassic Park.

Fun with Dick & Jane slander ITT. This is secretly a Judd Apatow joint!!

The bank robbery scenes are hilarious.

Tea Leoni deserves an academy award for being married to David Duchovny at the time. Not her best work, which imo is actually Spanglish (2004) with Adam Sandler and Paz Vega and directed by James L Brooks.

Spanglish is an excellent food movie for fans of The Bear!!! You can tell Adam Sandler legit loves to make meals for people. Lots of long takes with him very casually working the kitchen.

The slander stands. Definitely agree on Spanglish though. Just in the last week or two I stopped to look up that delicious-looking fried egg sandwich he makes during the movie (and horrifyingly has to abandon right before eating in order to have a conversation or something) just to see if I could properly replicate it. Haven’t actually gotten around to the “making it” part though.

1 Like

Spanglish fans ITT!

arresteddevelopment-arrested

I just remember Sean Fennessey hating this movie. I only now realized he actually posts brief reviews on Letterboxd, so that’ll be a fun rabbit hole to go down now that all of social media is dying.

For Spanglish:

I cannot recall another character as unsympathetically drawn as Tea Leoni’s Deborah Clasky. There are Bond villains with more humanity. It’s just a bizarre choice in a movie with a lot of problems made by people who have done and know far better.

1 Like

Ever since the Rewatchables made a joke about the bully kids hanging out in convertibles, I see it everywhere now: Back to the Future, Stand By Me. Feels like there was another one.

1 Like

and

were the two that immediately came to mind.

1 Like

I need to rewatch Back to the Future so that I can properly listen to that Rewatchables. Haven’t seen it since I was a kid. I remember I basically liked it, but I also remember I went around school pushing my hot take that Teen Wolf was better.

1 Like

Same, just watched it, enjoyed it more than I expected.

The Rewatchables said Zemeckis wanted to cut the Johnny B. Goode scene at the end, but test audiences said it was their favorite scene. I think it works so well for my generation because you just spent the last hour with kids from the 1950s (our parents), and you could really sense how much that sound might just blow their minds. When I was a kid growing up, 50s rock n’ roll was always around in the background, but it just felt old. Back to the Future kind of brought it to life for me.

1 Like