Movies (and occasionally face slaps) (Part 1)

I wasn’t, but some of my friends and their GFs weren’t bad.

Stalking was considered charming in the 80s.

2 Likes

Me, who learned courtship from Say Anything, St. Elmo’s Fire, and Revenge of the Nerds: Why are you calling grand romantic gestures “stalking”? Also, why do people not appreciate the majesty and rich tapestry of Love, Actually? Also, why do 8 different women have restraining orders against me?

3 Likes
6 Likes

Still considered charming by some lol

1 Like

a good friend thinks it’s among the most misogynistic movies ever made (in this century). Sideways is on the short list too.

She’s a lot of fun at parties

1 Like

She probably is loads of fun at parties where people are not watching and/or defending movies presented in pop culture as worthy moments of romance lol

I don’t think representation of terrible men doing terrible things to women is an endorsement of them. In fact most of my favorite stories are experiences of voyeurism wherein awful people do awful things.

But I am all for it if your friend is using the movies as a channel to speak out against men who identify with those characters and mirror their behavior.

The story with Liam Neeson and his kid is still very charming. The Andrew Garfield one was always just highly uncomfortable; “aged poorly” doesn’t come into it with that one, because it’s weird that anyone ever processed it any other way. The capper to the Colin Firth story still feels delightful even though that story is absurd and the romance is obviously dead after a brief period of infatuation that winds down shortly after the credits roll. I’m still very fond of the Emma Thompson/Alan Rickman stuff even though obviously “charming” isn’t what they’re going for there.

1 Like

Nobody capitalized on this better than The Police.

To be clear, I unironically continue to like Love, Actually.

1 Like

lol no it wasn’t.

Yeah I’ve lost all tolerance for these movies where the guy walks right up to the girl, who’s given him no indication she’s interested, and makes some big move right in front of her existing boyfriend, which often includes physically accosting her. That’s called being a rapey asshole.

Not shocking that Hollywood run by old white guys like Weinstein would love this trope. You have to wonder how much it fucked up a generation of dudes.

1 Like

I only saw Love, Actually once, but I never thought of it as being abuse-tolerating cringy, unlike some of the scenes in Sixteen Candles or Revenge of the Nerds.

1 Like

To me, the scenes in Love, Actually are BAD.

Sixteen Candles and Revenge of the Nerds are bad in a different way.

But both are about the same kind of toxic masculinity I am glad is becoming obviously bad to a lot of people (not just men).

Right I mean…I still enjoy huge chunks of the movie.

As LKJ said, the Liam Neeson and his son storyline is charming and easy to love.

So good.

And the performance of “All I Want for Christmas” is good enough for me to sometimes play it in preference to Mariah.

OMG when she says “all I want for xmas is you” and points at him and he grins from ear to ear

but then she points at someone else and someone else and sings “and you and you and you”

1 Like

The Endless is one of my favorite trippy movies, and Cabin in the Woods is one of my favorite scary yet funny horror movies.

So when I saw a review say this movie Resolution was actually a prequel to The Endless that they say puts “Cabin in the Woods to shame on a fraction of the budget” :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

https://tubitv.com/movies/515542/resolution

https://tubitv.com/movies/649967?link-action=play

The Thing now on Tubi

1 Like

The Endless is great if you haven’t seen it. Also, Tubi rules school. I don’t know why I have any streaming services besides Tubi and Criterion.

1 Like

What’s tubi run?

1 Like

It’s free!! Ad based so no fees.